MS 200T disscussion on what breaks the most and service tips.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys have had issues with on a regular basis.I had lots of trouble with carbs.going bad and mufflers cracking.Clutch springs and rope rotors have also been an issue.I have also noticed what breaks depends on who is using it.Please comment on any service tips you may have also.

The ground wire is the factory size shape and length. I am a production trimmer (Trees Inc.) so I use my 200 a LOT and have to replace the ground wire every 4 months or so. It usually breaks where the wire is crimped onto the connector where it is screwed to the bottom of the top handle. I guess it is not that important but it is a pain to restart 70 foot up after it gets choked out.

The ground wire is the factory size shape and length. I am a production trimmer (Trees Inc.) so I use my 200 a LOT and have to replace the ground wire every 4 months or so. It usually breaks where the wire is crimped onto the connector where it is screwed to the bottom of the top handle. I guess it is not that important but it is a pain to restart 70 foot up after it gets choked out.

Would it help to use a bit of heat shrink to act as a strain relief? I haven't seen where this wire runs inside a 200T..

I never had that happen is it getting hit by brush maybe?

Ive got two in the basement with bad ground wires right now.( and three others with bad carbs)
its my understanding that when the mount bushings get old and lose there stiffness the wires bear the brunt of the additional "play" caused buy the weaker annular bushings/av dampeners.
the carb fix epoxying the accelerator pump off works.

Make sure to replace worn AV bushings, they get weak, and usually the operator is pulling and yarding on the say, straining and breaking wires, and ripping intake boots. Pull cords go, because these saws get started and stopped so many times a day. Those are the biggest common wear items, and well, everyone knows about the bad carb syndrome.

200T faults:

Non- K.I.S.S. highly-strung accel-pump carbs. Plug em' or ditch em' for K.I.S.S. non-accel type.

front switch wires crap out from vibration, the plastic gets stiff and the thin wires inside break up. Rig up some decent rubberized wires instead.

front rubber buffer breaks if you're swinging on the front handle like a DoDo. Dont swing hard on the bloody handle like a DoDo.

Cylinder fins get packed tight full of debris after a fair few hours. Dig the gunk out now and again.

That's it, there's nothing else to worry about.

must be lucky, zero problems with carb on 020T and several 200T.
had to replace pull rope several times. upgraded 020T to elastomer style pull handle/cord assembly.

I have gone through over a dozen or more carbs since the first 020T came out!

Pinemartin,
Do you find the short ground wire failing more often( the one that goes to the buffer) or the long black wire that goes back to the ignition.

A

Make sure to replace worn AV bushings, they get weak, and usually the operator is pulling and yarding on the say, straining and breaking wires, and ripping intake boots. Pull cords go, because these saws get started and stopped so many times a day. Those are the biggest common wear items, and well, everyone knows about the bad carb syndrome.

My climber breaks the rope pulleys because he pulls them to hard all the time.I am sure this is why they break because it seems to be a pattern with just him.You dont want to pull it all the way till it is at the very end and then exert to much force at that point.do not pull them like they are are 72 cc or larger saws.Another thing I just noticed yesterday when one clutch spring broke I replaced it but after further inspection I realized they should be replaced in sets of 3 because the gaps in the clutch were not even due to the weaker springs.

Last edited:
Not sure if its a common problem or not, but I am rebuilding a 200t for a friend and it has some light scoring on the intake side. I can only assume its from a little bit of debris coming through the filter. Not sure if its the saws fault though.

My climber breaks the rope pulleys because he pulls them to hard all the time.I am sure this is why they break because it seems to be a pattern with just him.You dont want to pull it all the way till it is at the very end and then exert to much force at that point.do not pull them like they are are 72 cc or larger saws.Another thing I just noticed yesterday when one clutch spring broke I replaced it but after further inspection I realized they should be replaced in sets of 3 because the gaps in the clutch were not even due to the weaker springs.

Yes, that happens. Install the longest pull rope you can. Thats what I do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back