MS 250 Stalling Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My very well used/abused MS 250 that I picked up cheap from a construction crew last year is having issues starting and also staying running.

From cold start up it takes alot of pulls to get running and once running it will stall almost right away. Once the saw is warmed up it still will stall almost instantly when you let off the throttle.

Can you guide me to what adjustments I can make or problems I can check for.

I should also mention the fuel is fresh.

Thanks for your help
Cheers

From what you've described, it could be the fuel lines are beginning to break-down from age. This causes air to be sucked into the lines from the tiny cracks. It makes one think that the carb is out of adjustment, but a simple fuel line replacement is usually all that's needed...

Yes,

always check your fuel lines, but the first thing I would check is the muffler screen. If it gets plugged up with carbon/soot it will make it have the symtoms you descibe.

Have you given this saw "the treatment" yet?

Carb kit, new fuel lines, new fuel filter. That's the first thing I do to every used saw I buy unless it runs perfect right out of the box.

Try opening the low adjuster a quarter turn or so. Steve

The 250 I ran did the same thing. Hard starting and wouldnt idle. There wasnt a low screw on that one, just a LA screw for idle. I turned it to pick the idle up and solved most of the problem. Except a slight bog when youy would hit the throttle trigger.

From what you've described, it could be the fuel lines are beginning to break-down from age. This causes air to be sucked into the lines from the tiny cracks. It makes one think that the carb is out of adjustment, but a simple fuel line replacement is usually all that's needed...

I haven't checked the fuel line yet, but a little sheepish to admit I don't know how to do that? Is it just the hose inside the tank that gets pulled out and inspected?

Also what is that little bulb on the end of the fuel line inside the filler hole? Is that the fuel filter?

The muffler is clean as far as I can see, however the previous owner was cutting dry wall will the saw and it was stuffed with all sorts of junk inside.

I haven't checked the fuel line yet, but a little sheepish to admit I don't know how to do that? Is it just the hose inside the tank that gets pulled out and inspected?

Also what is that little bulb on the end of the fuel line inside the filler hole? Is that the fuel filter?

The muffler is clean as far as I can see, however the previous owner was cutting dry wall will the saw and it was stuffed with all sorts of junk inside.

1st time repair experience is like learning to swim. It ain't all that hard, but it sure is scary.
Yes; the bulb attached to the fuel line inside the tank is the fuel filter. NOTE* its position in the tank. If it hasn't been molested, return it there with new fuel line attached.
Hopefully someone who has worked on the Stihl's can give you advice on best way to remove & replace the lines .

There is guy on you-tube that did a complete tear down rebuild of a MS250. This is a good reference of how the saw is dis assembled and re assembled

Back