MS 260 for removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTCInc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Merry Christmas!

So, I am trying to figure out my next saw purchase. At the moment, I have 2 ms200s, ms192t, ms660 and a husky 365 special. I have a removal project coming up soon, three pines. I want to get a medium in tree saw, my 365 is too heavy for me to use and has a 28" bar on it. I am leaning towards the 260, but I am wondering if it will be bogged down with a 20" bar on it. Going up to the 361 does not make much sense to me since I have a saw in that class already. What do you guys think.... is the 260 going to work for me in hard/soft woods w/a 20" bar? Putting on an 18" bar does not justifiy the purchase of the saw...

Happy new year to all.

MTCInc said:
Hey all,

Merry Christmas!

So, I am trying to figure out my next saw purchase. At the moment, I have 2 ms200s, ms192t, ms660 and a husky 365 special. I have a removal project coming up soon, three pines. I want to get a medium in tree saw, my 365 is too heavy for me to use and has a 28" bar on it. I am leaning towards the 260, but I am wondering if it will be bogged down with a 20" bar on it. Going up to the 361 does not make much sense to me since I have a saw in that class already. What do you guys think.... is the 260 going to work for me in hard/soft woods w/a 20" bar? Putting on an 18" bar does not justifiy the purchase of the saw...

Happy new year to all.

I'm a big fan of the 026/260 saws but I run a 16' BC if I had to
use a 20" BC and use all of the 20" most of the time, I would
use a bigger saw. And I'm mostly cutting Oak with mine

MTCInc said:
Hey all,

Merry Christmas!

At the moment, I have ms660 and a husky 365 special. I want to get a medium in tree saw, my 365 is too heavy for me to use and has a 28" bar on it.

Happy new year to all.
Happy new year to you. Now maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but you have a 660, you mountain bike and rock climb and the 365 is too heavy for you? Something doesn't make sense here, you got three trees to do, suck it up and do it with what ya got.

clearance said:
Happy new year to you. Now maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but you have a 660, you mountain bike and rock climb and the 365 is too heavy for you? Something doesn't make sense here, you got three trees to do, suck it up and do it with what ya got.

Maybe I should be more clear, since it seems a few need clarification:

I believe in the RIGHT TOOL for the RIGHT JOB. If I can loose 4 pounds off a saw and get the job done efficiently, I am for that. That is the gap I am trying to fill. Smaller then my 365. This saw purchase is for an upcomming job, but will not be the ONLY job. I will be much happier if I can climb in the tree with a saw that is 4 pounds lighter. Not sure about you, but that makes sense to me.

Yes, I do have a 660... but, that saw stays on the ground. Not sure what you meant by that comment. I feel bad for you if your slugging a 660 w/a 3' bar on it in the tree. I am fortunate enough to pass those jobs on to others.

Rock climbing has no resemblance to the muscles (more importantly, joints!) used in tree work. I am over 40 now, I am trying to give my body a break. I can afford a new saw, so I came here for advice. Never found the resemblance to Mtn biking and tree work either.

At any rate, you offered no advice. Not sure why you bothered to post. Sure, I could get the job done with the 365, BUT, I am looking at other lighweight options.

Just like in Rock Climbing: GO LIGHT! (if you can)

Your biggest problem here is that you want less weight than the 365, but don't want to have two saws in the same power/displacement class. The 361 is in the same power and displacement class, but weighs substantially less.

Drop a 372 top end on the 365 (they are almost the same saw, except for the cylinder, piston and some of the intake and carb), buy the 361. Now you have the lighter saw in that class, and no more size overlap. The biggest problem with the 365, is why have a 365 if you can have a 372. They cost a little less to buy, and deliver less power as well. They also weigh more than a saw designed as a 60cc class saw, instead of a downsized 70cc saw.

As to the 260, it is a solid performer, and lighter in weight, but has been surpassed by newer designs in its size class. Still a good saw, just not as current in the design as a 346 or 5100.

Hi Paul

It's Ekka here, the same guy as the other forum. Just thought I'd let you know that so you dont get identities confused.

From what I have seen and read, going from a 200t to a 260 isn't really much of an improvement, if any! Get a 346xp run an 18" bar on it, after somebody has modded the pizz out of it, or run a 5100s stock. But I fail to see what you will gain. If the 200 won't do it, it's time for a 60cc saw with a 20" on it!! If my 192t won't do, my 350/346 combo works fine, but it's not a 200t by an stretch of the imagination!!:laugh:
Leave the 50cc's (other than the 5100s) to the groundies, and take up a saw that will get the job done.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
From what I have seen and read, going from a 200t to a 260 isn't really much of an improvement, if any! Get a 346xp run an 18" bar on it, after somebody has modded the pizz out of it, or run a 5100s stock. But I fail to see what you will gain. If the 200 won't do it, it's time for a 60cc saw with a 20" on it!! If my 192t won't do, my 350/346 combo works fine, but it's not a 200t by an stretch of the imagination!!:laugh:
Leave the 50cc's (other than the 5100s) to the groundies, and take up a saw that will get the job done.
Andy

Andy, put down what ever you are smoking you have had enough of it!
The 260 will cut rings around the 200T. I have one of each and the 026/260
will smoke the 200T as much as the 361 will smoke the 026/260. :cheers:

Trigger-Time said:
Andy, put down what ever you are smoking you have had enough of it!
The 260 will cut rings around the 200T. I have one of each and the 026/260
will smoke the 200T as much as the 361 will smoke the 026/260. :cheers:

That last bit is kinda my point, it won't run the 20" like he wants, if at all!!! It will run a 16" great, it will run an 18" ok, but it will gag and puke up in the tree with a 20"!!! Trust me, I haven't done it that much, but enough to know, you don't want to be tied into a tree forcing a saw to cut something that it's trying to gag and puke up!!! When I am in a tree, there are two things on my mind 1) not getting hurt/killed 2) getting down as easily as I can!! The 260 is not going to be his freind here, am I right?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
That last bit is kinda my point, it won't run the 20" like he wants, if at all!!! It will run a 16" great, it will run an 18" ok, but it will gag and puke up in the tree with a 20"!!! Trust me, I haven't done it that much, but enough to know, you don't want to be tied into a tree forcing a saw to cut something that it's trying to gag and puke up!!! When I am in a tree, there are two things on my mind 1) not getting hurt/killed 2) getting down as easily as I can!! The 260 is not going to be his freind here, am I right?
Andy

I had aready said if he needs to run a full 20" BC most of the time
then use a bigger saw.

My comment to you was about the 200T/260.

Trigger-Time said:
I had aready said if he needs to run a full 20" BC most of the time
then use a bigger saw.

My comment to you was about the 200T/260.

I am not starting a pissing match Gary, sorry bout that :heart: My point is that he really won't gain that much with the 260 in the tree, other than weight and a handle in the way, for a .3hp gain! Leave the 260 on the ground where it needs to be, and take up the 365 when you are done with the 200t!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I am not starting a pissing match Gary, sorry bout that :heart: My point is that he really won't gain that much with the 260 in the tree, other than weight and a handle in the way, for a .3hp gain! Leave the 260 on the ground where it needs to be, and take up the 365 when you are done with the 200t!!
Andy

Andy me either on the pissing match. But its a 1.1hp gain with the
260 over the 200T thats 47% more HP. :)

MTCInc said:
Maybe I should be more clear, since it seems a few need clarification:

I believe in the RIGHT TOOL for the RIGHT JOB. If I can loose 4 pounds off a saw and get the job done efficiently, I am for that. That is the gap I am trying to fill. Smaller then my 365. This saw purchase is for an upcomming job, but will not be the ONLY job. I will be much happier if I can climb in the tree with a saw that is 4 pounds lighter. Not sure about you, but that makes sense to me.

Yes, I do have a 660... but, that saw stays on the ground. Not sure what you meant by that comment. I feel bad for you if your slugging a 660 w/a 3' bar on it in the tree. I am fortunate enough to pass those jobs on to others.

Rock climbing has no resemblance to the muscles (more importantly, joints!) used in tree work. I am over 40 now, I am trying to give my body a break. I can afford a new saw, so I came here for advice. Never found the resemblance to Mtn biking and tree work either.

At any rate, you offered no advice. Not sure why you bothered to post. Sure, I could get the job done with the 365, BUT, I am looking at other lighweight options.

Just like in Rock Climbing: GO LIGHT! (if you can)
You never said you were climbing with the new saw you want, I have cut down lots of pines, what wrong with the top handle saws? Yes, I have blocked/logged big firs and cottonwoods down with a 288XP with a 32" bar, but thats when they were too big for a 372, which I used after it was too big for my 020. Here is some advice then, get a Husky 346 or 357. Picky, picky, if you can rock climb...forget it.

MTCInc said:
Hey all,

Merry Christmas!

Happy new year to all.

I love my 260pro, I use it for blocking down the bigger wood when climbing.It hangs nicely from my saddle not too much weight. It is right much faster than my 200t for larger stuff as well. I run the 16" 325. on mine. I personally would not run a 20' bar on it. It performs so well with the 16' The 20' would slow it quite a bit. It also makes a good fast ground saw as well. I thinking about buying a used one off Ebay for my groundie to use when I let them.

sawinredneck said:
Andy

Andy, did you just recommend a 346XP??
:dizzy: :buttkick:

fishhuntcutwood said:
And why can't your 365 carry a 20"? If a 20" bar is your goal, either use your 365 or get a 361. Don't bother with a 260 for a bar of that size. Climbing or not.

Welcome to AS.

I agree with fishhunt. You already have a really really nice saw for the job in your 365 special, why not use it? Buy a new bar 18 or 20" for the 365 instead of a new saw. The 28" that you have on it now means a lot extra weight!
With that combo, I can hardly see how three pines can justify a new saw...

/Peter

you could...

1) run a smaller bar on the 365 (18-20")

2) put a 372 topend on the 365, as myself and many others have done and get a 361 or 357/359 to fill the 60cc range

3) do what you want to do

I have ran a couple of 365's for about 6 years now and they are great saws. they are not the greatest saw with a 28" bar, and a I relize you are cutting softwoods, but the 372 conversion would be better suited for the longer bar and a good midrange ground saw. I have climbed a few trees with my 365's. i made due with what I had.

4) sell me the 365 super cheap to help with the costs of a new smaller saw... :laugh:

i like #4 the best..... lol

Back