ms 261 8 tooth sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Franny, Thanks for your input. I had never heard of this but thought for safety of it all I had better double check.

I spent a few minutes and can't seem to find a 20 inch minimum recommended length like I seem to recall.

A local guy I know has that full skip stuff on I am guessing a 60cc Stihl with normal type length bar and calls it speed chain. My experience with it is limited, I hit some buried metal broke a tooth on the side that had less and finished the loop off flush cutting stumps.

I spent a few minutes and can't seem to find a 20 inch minimum recommended length like I seem to recall.

A local guy I know has that full skip stuff on I am guessing a 60cc Stihl with normal type length bar and calls it speed chain. My experience with it is limited, I hit some buried metal broke a tooth on the side that had less and finished the loop off flush cutting stumps.

I've made several cuts with both set ups. The 7 is the best all around and within a second or so of the 8 with the full skip. You can bog the 8 in hard wood with full 3/8 chain where the 7 is fine. The guys are right the 7 is the best choice for all around performance The 7 has a much more aggressive feel and you can feel the engines full power. The 8 feels as if it cuts much faster but as a twelve year old hits the stop watch over and over its within a second or two ahead of the 7 . with a sharp chain. As the chain wears the 7 gets better . The 8 does feel as though it takes less exertion probably because the chain is covering more distance quicker. I'll be running the 7 for now as its the last one I installed but will also wear out he 8 with no problem. Thanks for the input guys. I think I might try the low profile next...

Latest posts

Back