MS 261 limited coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Anyone have info on these. Can't find anything in literature up North. My first 3 saws did not have any. My new one acts like it has one. Saw revs to 15,000 then you can here a signs of a coil limiter. Tach acts just like it does on saws with governed coil also.

Your saw is way too lean if its touching anywhere near 15,000 stock or muffler modded.

Really? How would one know?

Well here's a short list of how I know.

If the saw isn't 4 stroking wot no load it's too lean

I can't think of a STOCK saw that safely turns 15,000

It's not limited at 15,000 that's the saw screaming for help. Never use a tach to tune.

How do you know it's reaching 15,000rpm...a good reliable tach..??

I sort of doubt it's going there...but if it is...you're gonna fry the piston...Waay Too Lean.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this dude tells me he switched to Amsoil Saber at 100:1 mix ratio..Said the power went up immediately.

I said.."you're too lean and should go to 50:1..or you're gonna fry the piston" - Didn't wanna hear it...

8 months later...he fried both his chainsaw and his trimmer by trying to save pennies...neither worth repair $$

The 'iceing on the cake'..this was my Amsoil dealer and also a mechanic..had to replace both new..just cheap Poulans
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Still cutting for $$ or you working in the shop , or both ?

Neither, just getting a saw ready to race Friday night. The boys are going to get their eyes opened with this 261.

For work, I am still at Topline. We just had a good week. Sold 77 Stihl units last week.

Last edited:
If you're running an unported 261 at 15K, it will burn up, no question about it.

FWIW, every 261 I've ever seen has been rev limited. AFAIK, I bought the first 261 sold in the US, and it was limited about 15,100.

Last edited:
If you're running an unported 261 at 15K, it will burn up, no question about it.

FWIW, every 261 I've ever seen has been rev limited. AFAIK, I bought the first 261 sold in the US, and it was limited about 15,100.

Our 261 comes from Germany and were not limited. We had early models hit 16,000 plus at factory setting. Stihl said the issue was fixed.

Here is our coil # 1141 400 1302
Whats on yours?

Back