MS 261 NE. Any carb issues? Mine's acting strange.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been absolutely tickled pink with this saw. Regardless of elevation or weather or temperature, this saw has started right up and ran perfect. Every single time.

Yesterday, I ran it for a few mins and it ran perfect. Let it sit for 5-10 mins, and it wouldn't start. Smelled like it was flooded. Weird. Waited 20 mins and tried again. Had a hell of a time getting it to start and then, it acted like it was cold and needed to warm up, as every time I'd give it a bit of throttle, it would die. Finally got it running but then it wouldn't idle...then, after a couple mins of easy trimming, it was acting like it was running out of gas. So, I just stopped my job. That was at 6,000' elevation which, I have used this saw before, no problem.

Back down to 3500' elevation this morning, I started it up and did some cutting. Runs perfect again.

This saw has only had 4 gallons of gas run through it... always ethanol free with the Stihl oil I got to extend the warranty. I keep the air filter clean.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a common issue?

The EPA should go away.

They should start thinking about what's really hurting the planet...like big commercial agriculture and big pharma...but they have no balls, so they pick on chickenshit like small 2 stroke engines

sorry, cant help, just had to rant. You are not alone with computer controlled carb issues. You probably have to take it to a shop. Ridiculous.

The chip in the carb is supposed to adjust to a change in elevation. You might need to reset the carb eveytime you change elevation, +\- a thousand ft. You shouldn't have to though...

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Finally got it running but then it wouldn't idle...then, after a couple mins of easy trimming, it was acting like it was running out of gas.

It tuned itself to lean because of the elevation and your easy trimming. If you do a lot of "easy trimming" that can confuse the control unit and push the fuel flow settings beyond running limits. Next time if you have this, try to make some longer cuts in thicker wood between the trimming phases and it should retune itself to a normal performance.

Always remember:
A regulating sequence will be initiated only if the chain saw is operated for approx. 2 seconds under uniform conditions, e.g., cutting to length, at a speed between 8,000 rpm and 11,200 rpm.

It tuned itself to lean because of the elevation and your easy trimming. If you do a lot of "easy trimming" that can confuse the control unit and push the fuel flow settings beyond running limits. Next time if you have this, try to make some longer cuts in thicker wood between the trimming phases and it should retune itself to a normal performance.

Always remember:
A regulating sequence will be initiated only if the chain saw is operated for approx. 2 seconds under uniform conditions, e.g., cutting to length, at a speed between 8,000 rpm and 11,200 rpm.

Thank you! I have been aware of the method you speak of and try to adhere to it. I failed to mention though that when I first ran the saw on that day, I bucked up ~10 pieces of 10" diameter firewood of medium density. Ran perfect. Then..... I let it sit and tried restarting. It was only then, after much effort, did I get it running well enough that I did some easy trimming. Running poorly enough that I shut it off.

That said, I hope this was simply a fluke. It seems I may have tried starting it that second time with the choke fully on, as one would when the engine was cold.... when it probably would have started fine without. If that's the case, maybe I confused the carbs brains and it flooded. After all, it did smell of gas as if this was true. Does all that make sense... like it may be a possibility?

It could be possible, maybe also in conjunction of the high elevation you used it. I think the 10" diameter wood would be enough so that you get some load on the saw if you make some cuts.

My new version built 02/18 had a spell like this once. But it was after a muffler mod, I went through the reset process and you could hear the change when it readjusted itself. I always try to restart with no choke, then add choke if it won’t hit. Never had any issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, all! After my experience with the 550, I'm relieved to not hear of known issues with this saw. Sure hoping it was just a fluke. I've wanted to open the muffler but enjoy its relative quietness... so she's all stock.

Well, I am now confident, and severely bummed, that this saw has an issue. Since my original post, I used it at home (3500' elevation) and it ran perfect. Yesterday, I took it up to my ranch at 6000' and the same thing as before at 6000'. Acted like it was running out of gas. I made a few cuts in 12" aspen and the saw alternated between running great and not so great. I shut it down and attempted to start it again 45 minutes later. It would fire then die. Fire then die. Fire then die. Every single freaking time it would fire and I attempted to give it a bit of gas, it would die. It used to always start after 1-3 pulls and run perfect, regardless of elevation, temp, or conditions.

A couple hrs later, I tried starting it and it would not fire at all. I stopped at about 30 pulls. A couple hours later, I took the cover off to see if I could see anything obviously wrong. Nothing. So, I took the filter off and started it. It acted as though it was cold for a long time so just let it sit (after putting the filter and cover back on) and idle for a minute or two.... then picked it up and it seemed to run fine. Made a couple cuts and it was obvious it was not fine. Acted like it was running out of gas at times.

After my little nightmare with the 550xp, I can't believe this is happening to me again. I dread taking the saw to a shop. Absolutely dread it. :angry: The shop I bought it from and really liked is no longer a Stihl dealer. Most of the other Stihl dealers have salespeople running around that wouldn't know which end of the saw to hold. Not sure it's still under warranty either. Wish I could fix it myself. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

I agree that a dealer should take a peek at it.
Before you take it there, if it’s not too much trouble, try going to the higher elevation and doing a “reset” there.
The process can be found on YouTube. The best I can explain it is: Start saw with full choke, let idle roughly 90 seconds with no throttle input, then abruptly shut off by moving control switch from choke to the off position. That should reset the last saved settings, then restart in a normal fashion and push it hard into some wood at WOT.
Just adding one 3/8” hole to my muffler was enough to make mine run like a dog. I thought I had really messed it up, a reset brought it back into proper running condition.
It seems that the elevation is really having an effect on fuel to air ratio. Just a thought, I would give it a try before taking it in if it was my saw. Hope this helps, let us know any outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that a dealer should take a peek at it.
Before you take it there, if it’s not too much trouble, try going to the higher elevation and doing a “reset” there.
The process can be found on YouTube. The best I can explain it is: Start saw with full choke, let idle roughly 90 seconds with no throttle input, then abruptly shut off by moving control switch from choke to the off position. That should reset the last saved settings, then restart in a normal fashion and push it hard into some wood at WOT.
Just adding one 3/8” hole to my muffler was enough to make mine run like a dog. I thought I had really messed it up, a reset brought it back into proper running condition.
It seems that the elevation is really having an effect on fuel to air ratio. Just a thought, I would give it a try before taking it in if it was my saw. Hope this helps, let us know any outcome.

Thanks. I'd have to drive over an hour to get it back up to the elevation causing issues. I thought this thing was supposed to adjust itself when cutting under load at full throttle for a few seconds? As I mentioned, I made a few cuts in 12" wood. Shouldn't that have reset it?

I looked on Youtube and the only thing I could find, that looked like what you were talking about, was something in German, I believe.

Slight update. I checked my files. Bought the saw in Aug 17 with the 6 pack of oil which was supposed to double the warranty. If that is the case, it is still under warranty...barely!! I remembered another dealer in town. Nice folks. I called and they have some Stihl diagnostic equipment but not all. I'm told the stuff they don't have is back ordered for a year!! What the...??

The honcho was out to lunch and is supposed to call me back later. Fingers crossed they have the stuff needed to figure out what is wrong...

Unfortunately, the dealer does not have the equipment due to the cost...so I have to drive 1.5 hours, one way, to get it to a shop that does have the equipment. :(

Can't believe this is happening! Stihl, and Husqvarna, selling saws to retailers who can not service them just seems so screwed up. I don't blame the small retailer who doesn't want to or can't buy these expensive diagnostic tools.... but this just isn't right. Isn't fair to the small retailer nor is it fair to the guy like me who now will have to make at least one 3 hr round trip to have the saw diagnosed. And to get it diagnosed and fixed in one trip seems to be overly optimistic. Who knows how many trips I'll have to make. And tis the reason I fall more on to the Luddite side of things. :angry:

UPDATE:

I had to run to another city 2 hrs away for something unrelated, and the Stihl dealer there had the diagnostic equipment I believed was needed. So I left the saw with them on Sat. The mechanic called me back Monday and said the saw ran perfect for him... but, that was at a lower elevation then that of which has been causing me problems. He asked me more questions about how it was behaving at the higher elevations for me then said he'd call the rep to see if he had any ideas. Nice, likeable mechanic who seemed sharp. This morning, the Stihl rep called me, asked me some questions about the saw then told me he'd have the mechanic do a couple different things to it. Longer story short, he said that they'd get it taken care of for me.

I'm super impressed that the rep would call me like this. He too was super friendly, likeable, and sharp. He took his time to listen which was great too. I learned that the diagnostic equipment I thought was needed, based on what I may have read on these forums, isn't exactly true. As I understand, it is helpful but not absolutely necessary.

I hope this thread has not turned anyone away from Stihl. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, it sounds as though whatever is going on with my saw is a big fluke. And I am extremely impressed with not only how this Stihl shop handled things, but with the fact the rep personally called me. He also let me know my local dealer has a great technician working for them which was a relief to hear. So, a big shout out to Stihl!!:)

Back