MS 290 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to saws and the operation of them. Had my 290 for about 8 months now, done some cutting, not a ton of it though. Not sure how often to take it apart and clean it, I usually clean mine after every time I'm doen using it.

Issue is this. Last time I used the saw it seems that the chain oil adjustment had moved, no problem, backed it down a bit to put less oil on the chain, seemed to be running out of oil pretty quick, problem now is I get a nice spray pattern when I point the saw at a piece of wood, but seems to be excessive coming out of the cover and running down onto the bar? Not sure if its getting onto the chain properly or not now. The white/clear what I would call removable guides, do they need to be replaced after awhile? Saw is clean, but just a bit unsure at this point.

What are you using for bar oil?

Did someone happen to top off the oil with fuel mix? (It has happened.) This would thin the oil and possibly degrade the tackifiers.

Last edited:
Those guides should last ya a long time. They've never been replaced on my old 290, and it cut 10+ cords a year for 5 years or so before I found this place and was diagnosed with CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder), which caused it to be replaced by a bunch of newer, louder, faster, more expensive stuff.

First thing to check is that the hole in the bar that the oil goes through hasn't gotten plugged with saw chips, dirt, or gunk. That'll cause oil to go everywhere except where ya want it, which is on the drive section of the chain. It may still throw oil off the end, just that it's oil dripping onto the top of the chain that's not doing any good.

FWIW, I don't consider it excessive oiling as long as there's a bit of oil left in the tank when the fuel is dry. Saving a couple pennies on oil will cost in bars and chains. If the oil tank runs dry before fuel though, that's too much oil, because it'll run dry without ya noticing it in time.

I had another idea as well, but it's bedtime here, and I seem to have forgotten what it was while I was rambling. If the above doesn't fix it, post back and maybe my brain or someone else's will be working by then.

(Beware the chainsaw forum dudes, they'll have ya convinced you need not only a bigger saw, but also a smaller one, and then an older one, and a REALLY big one, and a top handled one, and...well you get the picture)

Like already mentioned check the oil hole in bar. How much did you run it out of the wood. Oil will collect up in the chain cover if ran out of the wood. The oil then will run all over the place. The wood chips keep excessive oil from running all over the place by wicking up the oil.

(Beware the chainsaw forum dudes, they'll have ya convinced you need not only a bigger saw, but also a smaller one, and then an older one, and a REALLY big one, and a top handled one, and...well you get the picture)

Very funny and all so true :D I spend way too much time over there and they almost got me!

Some good folks there also :cheers:

Also check the bar grooves. There is a small groove in the channel where the hole in the bar is, that should be clean to. Further check how the chainsaw side looks like. The oiling groove should be clean.
Your regiem on cleaning after every use is excellent!

Thanks guys cut up a lot of wood yesterday and the saw worked great. As far as warranty goes, I bought it used, i think its 2-3 years old at this point, not sure. But the hole was clogged up, and did so twice yesterday, but I did cut for 2-3 hours. Another pickup bed, and 5x8 trailer stacked high, now just needs split.

Thanks guys, the hole being plugged was the problem. Besides cutting through two nails that I didn't know were there until I went through them it was a good day to cut wood!

I think I have about 7 cords, to split. Not sure how much I'll burn being my first year of burning so I figured if I can get the wood for free I might as well take it. I have about 4 cords split ready for this year, see how much I run through with a 1500sq. ft home and a 3.1cu. ft. fire box. If I run out I run out if not even better!

Glad it was a simple fix.

Keep cuttin. It is likely you won't need all ya have, but there's no law against having extra. Keep it up off the ground and dry and almost anything will last 2+ years, some of the good hardwoods are almost unlimited storage if done right.

I take my cover/bar off and clean up everything after every session of cutting, or after every weekend of cutting. Sure makes life easier.

Newer saws have much smaller oil holes in the bars. They don't put out as much oil and clog quicker. I drill all mine out to 1/8" which is still smaller than my old bars, but larger than the 3/32" the newer ones came with. Much better oiling IMHO.

Back