MS 290 New or OEM flywheel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok.. before anyone tells me I'm an idiot...

I'm an idiot.

I didn't check the torque on the flywheel nut to spec (and subsequently forgot about it) and sheared off that little aluminum key...

I had done the vac test, pressure test, and was trying to get the carb adjusted on this father-son project & the saw puffed backwards... I'm not going to call it a full-on backfire but it did chug backwards.

So the key on the flywheel is gone-zo so I'm looking for a replacement.

Any feelings one way or another?
Thanks

Don't feel like an idiot...I went through 2 flywheels inside 6 months on my 029 a few years ago because of things I forgot to do or didn't double-check.

In the course of that I did get to compare the difference between OEM and aftermarket flywheels. OEM is prettiest, but either will do the job.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) en utilisant Tapatalk

Oem or just line up the flywheel to the slot. It’ll stay once the nut is tight.
I thought about that - I know guys are advancing or retarding timing in different ways but I always thought it was that they re-machined the key.
Chainsawr was out of used OEM flywheels but I'll keep furb's offer in the back of my mind.
I think I'll go for the, "Tighten 'er down real good" method for now.

I still feel stupid. :confused:

If you are worried not having a key, you could always take a dermel and notch out the flywheel where the key was. Insert a bought or home made key for having the stock alignment timing. and torque down the nut. Old saws have a removable key, new saws have the key made into the flywheel.

3 choices, Align the flywheel and torque the nut making sure both matting surfaces are clean and smooth, make it a removable key system modifying the existing flywheel or replace a perfectly good flywheel with one with a key.

Just kark the flywheel and crankshaft with a sharpie, and tighten the nut with an impact drill/driver, making sure that the marks are still in line. A dot of whiteout would work on the shaft as well.
Morning, I assume you meant mark, if not I apologize and want to know what kark means, lol!

Latest posts

Back