MS 361 down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My b.i.l. said his Dad had a Stihl that blew up and the dealer said it was $500 to fix or he'd sell him a new one for $550 + trade. He left pissed off because he thought it might be warranteed. They told him bad gas but he says he's never had problems with other saws, etc., etc. You've heard similar stories. It's been sitting and kinda forgotten ever since.

Anyway, it turns out that my b.i.l. had the saw at his house sitting in a box.
It's an MS 361. It's not seized. It pulls over smoothly. The exhaust side of the piston is damaged (scored/melted?) and the rings are gone (into the lower end ?). The intake side of the cylinder looked okay from what I could see.

So...I was thinking I might should try to rebuild this thing for them ? I have no experience with saws but have done a few top ends on 2-stroke motorcycles. I'm kinda hoping you guys will tell me to get a piston and rings, flush the lower end with kerosene, clean up or hone the cylinder, and be a hero. Are these cylinders nikasil plated ? Do you think I'll need to split the lower end on this thing ? If so, I'll probably stay away.
Any advice appreciated, although I expect many "I'll give you $100 for it." replies. lol

Last edited:
Yes by all means go ahead and rebuild it. It'a very likely that you can save the cylinder with some acid cleanup, and a hone job, throw in a new piston and rings. Your good to go.

I'll give ya 125$ for it. LOL, seriously, you need to take the cylinder off of it and look to see if it is scored bad. If its just aluminum transfer, you can clean it up and pop a new piston in it. That is all if the bottom end isnt damaged from the rings and/or other debris. Search this site on how to tear it apart, and post pictures so we can help diagnose and offer advise. Its very possibly fixable for a lot cheaper than the dealer's quote. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ill give you a $125.00 for it and pay shipping? :popcorn:

Last edited:
If the rings broke, you likely ruined the cylinder. I don't see how it couldn't be. That won't be cheap. The reason you don't see it is because the damage would likely be on the exhaust port side.

Last edited:
fix it and tell them you get to use it at your liesure...
I'm a newb and still scared of my 5100 with "safety" chain. I think this saw is out of my league right now. Plus, they live 2 1/2 hrs. away so I won't really be able to borrow it. I just thought it was a shame that it was sitting. He said his Dad really loved the saw before it broke. I just thought I might be able to help but I don't want to get in over my head and return the box with the saw in more pieces than it was. LOL
Big bore, huh ? :smoking:

Last edited:
I'm a newb and still scared of my 5100 with "safety" chain. I think this saw is out of my league right now. Plus, they live 2 1/2 hrs. away so I won't really be able to borrow it. I just thought it was a shame that it was sitting. He said his Dad really loved the saw before it broke. I just thought I might be able to help but I don't want to get in over my head and return the box with the saw in more pieces than it was. LOL

ah i see kinda new to chainsaws, i understand i went through that a while ago.. but its okay to be nervous you will get over it with time

Right Brad. But, I cant believe the rings are completely gone, as in "not there anymore". But, stranger things have happened.

All I could see through the exhaust port was the 2 ring grooves. Maybe the shop had the jug off for inspection and threw the rings out ?

BB kits are overrated... not worth the effort... but that's me. Problem is, the price is usually right.

I would stay OEM, and make that 361 sing the way it's supposed to... :)

Gary

Tell them to mail you the saw. PM me and I'll get you service manual for the 361. Pull the cylinder. Take pictures, post them here and someone will tell you what it will take to get it healthy again. Inform them of the damage and costs. Have them buy the parts and you do the work. And you'll have a free lesson on rebuilding a saw, they'll have saved a buck or two and everyone will be happy and gay, er....joyous.

Back