MS 361 down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be going back down there in 2 weeks. I'll bring a camera and pull the jug.
Thanks for all the advice and offers to help.

The first thing you would have to do is figure the root cause of the failure. Bad gas? Doubt it. If you don't find the problem it will happen again.

The first thing you would have to do is figure the root cause of the failure. Bad gas? Doubt it. If you don't find the problem it will happen again.

Agreed. I'm guessing he just puts gas in and runs it.
Maybe this was his 1st EPA saw and at some point it should have been richened up ? Maybe an air boot leak ? We'll see.

Agreed. I'm guessing he just puts gas in and runs it.
Maybe this was his 1st EPA saw and at some point it should have been richened up ? Maybe an air boot leak ? We'll see.

Before you start ripping it apart, thats the first step. Figure out what happened and why.

Pressure/Vacuum test is the correct place to start. Hopefully, the shop that gave them the estimate already did this and your relatives were informed what they found.

I see way to many techs (Stihl and other) automatically assume that incorrect fuel was used. As was already stated, if you do not figure out what the original problem was (even if it just means proper education to the operator and why correct mixture rates are important), you'll just be wasting time and money.

Check to see if there is any gas in the tank, if so take a look at it too see if there is any oil in the gas. Maybe it was accidentally run with straight gas.

Check to see if there is any gas in the tank, if so take a look at it too see if there is any oil in the gas. Maybe it was accidentally run with straight gas.

That could have happened, but without confirming it you risk the repair parts getting hosed like the originals.

I consider myself a pretty careful person, but last fall I bought two gallons and only mixed one with oil...(In major violation of Rule #1: The small jugs ALWAYS get mix-oil before filling with fuel) after about the third time peering longingly into the jugs to sort it out, I dumped both into my Jeep and started over. It only takes one "whoops" moment to turn a bunch of parts into scrap.

That could have happened, but without confirming it you risk the repair parts getting hosed like the originals.

I consider myself a pretty careful person, but last fall I bought two gallons and only mixed one with oil...(In major violation of Rule #1: The small jugs ALWAYS get mix-oil before filling with fuel) after about the third time peering longingly into the jugs to sort it out, I dumped both into my Jeep and started over. It only takes one "whoops" moment to turn a bunch of parts into scrap.

Yes, I agree, but it's just one more thing I was adding to the list of things to check, didn't feel like repeating all the things everybody else said. Gas is the first place I start.

The rings are just likely obscured by melting into the piston.

Even if you do need a new oem P&C, it's just over $200.

I'm betting straight gas. I have never seen a seal, boot, impluse or fuel hose failure on a 361. There is always a first time though.. so definitely check with pressure/vac testing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back