MS 361 Modded muffler on ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maytagman

maytagman

ArboristSite Lurker
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a modded muffler for a ms 361 from the guy selling them on ebay. His seller id is scottwojo. If so, do you think it was a noticeable improvement other than sound?

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Wojo has 361s odded mufflers now, eh? I have not tried them myself. I bought some GB bars from him over a year ago here on AS when he was a sponsor. His mods should give you about 10% increase in power if they are done right. I think he advertized more like 20%, but that is more like what you would get from a full port mod, and not a muffler mod. It looks like a Lakeside 361 muffler mod knock-off to me, but the screen does not look quite right. Issue is that you need a large area of screen and not just the second port covered flat with screening material, otherwise it restricts the exhaust too much. Anyway to me they seem expensive.

matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
125 for a pice of sheet metal? Id pass, i should start modding them for that price. If you wana do it youself All you need is a cheep welder is you wanted to do it youself. Ebay sells weler for under $100
Good luck

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Cheap "welder" won't do it. For thin metal you need very precise current control... which is why I use gas.

I now have a TIG that can go down to 5 amps, but it wasn't cheap.

saxman

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did my 361 muffler like Andy (lakeside) recommended with my oxy acetelyene torch and a small tip using brazing rod. It turned out great and made a big difference in the saw's performance. It is really not a big deal to do it yourself.

041fboss

041fboss

ArboristSite Operative
prep everything yourself for your muffler mod then take it to a welding shop.... the shop I went to used a tig...took them less that five minutes....they charged me 8 bucks.

billyjoejr

billyjoejr

ArboristSite Guru
prep everything yourself for your muffler mod then take it to a welding shop.... the shop I went to used a tig...took them less that five minutes....they charged me 8 bucks.

Great idea.
I like saving money.
I was going to ask if anyone on here did a good Andy Style muffler modd, what you would charge to send one my way.
I think I will ask anyway, in case the welding shop screws up my only muffler.

Any Modders selling MS361 Andy Style mufflers please send me a PM.

Or any members in non EPA countrys willing to ship a free breathing factory muffler? I see the IPL lists several.

Thanks

Moderators
If the above question is against the rules, feel free to delete.
I know it is close to the line but I don't think any of the sponsors sell modded mufflers.
If a sponsor does, please speak up. I know I'm not the only one willing to be seperated from my hard earned cash.

Last edited:
041fboss

041fboss

ArboristSite Operative
I dont think a good weld shop would screw up your muffler. Im a halfa$$ed welder and I could do it. I wouldnt feel nervous at all sending it to a good shop.:greenchainsaw:

agreed my weld looks factory even better. a good weld shop will not mess it up.

matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Cheap "welder" won't do it. For thin metal you need very precise current control... which is why I use gas.

I now have a TIG that can go down to 5 amps, but it wasn't cheap.

Ok if you expirienced you can weld sheet metal with tig, mig and stick. Not very easy but i can do it. But i just use the tig like you sugest but yes thair alot of $$$

Last edited:
maytagman

maytagman

ArboristSite Lurker
I am probably going to do the lakeside mod myself, but I did want to say that if you send your muffler to wojo he will do it for $75. The $125 was for a modded new muffler. I like the lakeside mod idea, but if you want a mod muffler wojo may not be way out of the ball park if you end up buying a unibit, brazing rod torch ect. My biggest obstical is my uncle, my stihl dealer in business for 20+ years. I haven't even talked to him since this darn website got me all jacked up over this muffler mod. I was perfectly happy wiht my Duramax pickup also until I found a couple diesel truck forums. I have become quite good at making purchases and having them sent to work to avoid my wife! My uncle may think it is fine, who knows, but I still remember talking about shaving the heads on my snowmobile and the head shaking that followed. I think he may be one of the dealers that will tell you it has plenty of power the way it is. I think I may just sneak into his shop and do the mod on the weekend when he isn't around and then take it to him for a chain sharpening. He usually starts it up and winds it up to see how it is running. Then I can just watch his eyebrows as he starts looking towards the muffler......

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
IMHO you don't need fancy equipment or contract out to a welding shop. This was done with a std. propane torch and a flux coating brazing rod.

361001.jpg

Latest posts