ms 361 muffler mod...my 2 cents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will get two new caps...what a joke...little different than the old 041. Did some more playing with the saw today. Over all I feel that the grunt or torque on the saw was greatly improved. Thanks to both of you for the carp cap advise. Has anybody thought about plugging the stock exhaust hole and making the other exhaust port (new port) around 3/4 of an inch or 7/8? just a thought

Just my $0.02 cents worth, it stihl needs to be a muffler.

Depends on how close to the edge you like to run... 14-14,500 seems like a decent number with a 20 inch bar. Closer to 14k with a 25 inch bar..

Sounds like my concern when mine turned 14,280 with a 15" bar with an 8-pin the first time I put a tach to it was not warranted - I turned it down to 14,080......

Last edited:
Has anybody thought about plugging the stock exhaust hole and making the other exhaust port (new port) around 3/4 of an inch or 7/8? just a thought

why? the other hole isn't hurting, and it would be a pain to do. Sure, you can keep increasing the outlets at the expense of noise, idle stability and fuel economy, but you will be getting sharply diminishing returns... 3/4 or 7/8 is way to big for this 60cc saw... and.. it supposed to "muffle".

Last edited:
Sounds like my concern when mine turned 14,280 with a 15" bar with an 8-pin the first time I put a tach to it was not warranted - I turned it down to 14,080......

Sawtroll what are you doing in a 361 muffler mod thread? LOL
You should be posting what you tached it to after fitting the lake muffler!
I think we may have to start a Sawtroll fit the :censored: muffler petition thread!

I tuned both of my 361's to 14,500 after being modified by DN and Ehp. At my working elevation of approximately 6000' it has lots of torque and the setting is rich enough I don't have to worry about the engine. I run a 3/8 x 8 sprocket on a 20" bar with great performance. And don't sweat it SawTroll, its just their way of saying 'I love you.' :dizzy:

Last edited:
He'll never fit it. Just going to put it on his shelf in a glass cabinet...:(

Hah - I sure will put it on, as soon as I get to the cottage, and are reunited with the 361, and some suitable wood to make before and after comparisons on - the saw just got stuck at the cottage, when Witchy wasn't able to go there anymore last october.........:cry: :cry:

As you know, we have had some bad luck since last may.

Last edited:
Lakeside, can I use my Fluke88 for reading rpms on my MS460?.

well I'm not lake by any stretch but I have tried the fluke 88 on a saw and it did not work well. It did not seem like it read fast enough and was very choppy. good luck. but it can be done.

Latest posts

Back