MS 361 Now Has a New Home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There it was, sitting next to its orange and light gray brothers and sisters, waiting patiently for my arrival. I walked up to the shelf and said to the receptionist, "Can you page Ted, the owner and manager?"

Receptonist: "One moment please. Ted, Doctor Ed is here."

Ted (walks in from the shop): "So, you made up your mind?"

Doctor Ed: "Yes, with a little help from the ArboristSite members on the Internet. They were relentless. I'll start my Stihl collection with the MS 361."

Ted: "You will not be dissatisfied. This saw is a marvel of modern chainsaw technology. You were advised by men who know what they are talking about."

Ted (age 75 at least) carried the saw to the shop for the tune up and check out. I paid the bill without hesitation. Then the shop mechanic, Pat, introduced himself and gave me the structured walkthrough. I was truly amazed by the compression release button--pure luxury. When he started the engine, it was the best music I had heard in years.

Then he packed it up in its new orange case, and said, "Take this Stihl cap. You are on board." Heart pounding, I put the cap on, and said with a big grin, "Now I don't have to just cut my firewood, I can Stihl it."

Then I carried the 361 to the truck, and drove her to the office to take Pics. Here's the first one I took, the classic catalog profile. The light has a nice glow to it, as if she were in a restaurant:
StihlMS3611.jpg

This second one shows the same saw from the other side. Note that the 20" bar looks smaller from this angle:
StihlMS3612.jpg

And now for a true color overhead shot with natural sunlight:
StihlMS3614.jpg

Guys, I have a feeling that I waited much too long to buy this saw. Agree? :cheers:

Well, good for you! You are now in the 361 club. Now go cut some wood with it!!!!!

Also, my advice is to not use the decomp button on the saw when you fully choke it. O/w it will tend to flood on you. So set the choke on full, pull the cord until it rumbles over, then flip the lever to fast idle and set the decomp button, and away you go. I use the decomp button all the time when on fast idle starting and idle starting when it is warm.

Now, what are you sitting there reading this for??? Go cut wood!

Oh, and it will be a few tanks before the rings set and it is broken in. You will get more power then.

Keep the chain sharp and live long and prosper!

It looks like you filled your subscription just as the AS ordered. Beware, there is no andecdote to this disease. They say it is in the blood.

Good choice I might add.

Congrats Doc I bought a 361 about 4 months ago and been amazed every time I go to cut with it. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I cut nothing but oak and hickory from 10'' to 24'' nothing has slowed it down. Now put the green chain in the box and pick up some yellow chain and really see what that saw can do. Happy cutting and congratulations again.:D :D :D :D

Congrats and nice choice! Now why did you have to post those pics, makes me want to go home and get mine out! :chainsawguy:

Great choice, Dr. Ed! I know you will be pleased with it.

Now get out there and burn that white paint dot off the muffler!

There it was, sitting next to its orange and light gray brothers and sisters, waiting patiently for my arrival. I walked up to the shelf and said to the receptionist, "Can you page Ted, the owner and manager?"

Doctor Ed: "Yes, with a little help from the ArboristSite members on the Internet. They were relentless. I'll start my Stihl collection with the MS 361."

Ted: "You will not be dissatisfied. This saw is a marvel of modern chainsaw technology. You were advised by men who know what they are talking about."

Ted (age 75 at least) carried the saw to the shop for the tune up and check out. I paid the bill without hesitation. Then the shop mechanic, Pat, introduced himself and gave me the structured walkthrough. I was truly amazed by the compression release button--pure luxury. When he started the engine, it was the best music I had heard in years.

Then he packed it up in its new orange case, and said, "Take this Stihl cap. You are on board." Heart pounding, I put the cap on, and said with a big grin, "Now I don't have to just cut my firewood, I can Stihl it."

Then I carried the 361 to the truck, and drove her to the office to take Pics. Here's the first one I took, the classic catalog profile. The light has a nice glow to it, as if she were in a restaurant:
StihlMS3611.jpg

This second one shows the same saw from the other side. Note that the 20" bar looks smaller from this angle:
StihlMS3612.jpg

And now for a true color overhead shot with natural sunlight:
StihlMS3614.jpg

Guys, I have a feeling that I waited much too long to buy this saw. Agree? :cheers:

Good job! I never bargain over the initial price of a saw - if they want to knock some off they do without me asking, and it pays off in the long run to not be a PITA/bargaining customer.....

It has worked well with both my Husky and Stihl dealer.....;)

Starting the 361 Engine...

This is rather interesting. The OM says that step (1) the chain brake should be pressed forward and thus lock the chain prior to starting. I must admit that I have been starting saws for 30 years and never done this. In fact, my experience has been that most saws won't even strart if the chain brake is locking the chain.

Then the OM says after the engine starts to run: "As the chain brake is still engaged, the engine must be returned to idling speed immediately or the engine housing and chain brake might otherwise be damaged."

My observation is, "If the chain brake were never engaged in the first place, it would be impossible to damage the saw."

Please advise.

Last edited:
You got it right - :biggrinbounce2:

.. but I have started to use the brake on cold starts anyway - at least with longer bars....

'
.. and a 20" on a 361 is a long bar - imo a 20" bar is 70cc territory, normally.

This is just my opinion, not a general rule.

I always start the saws in the air, never on the ground!

If the saw is warm, and you don't engage the fast idle, there is no reason to use the brake.

Last edited:
This is rather interesting. The OM says that step (1) the chain brake should be pressed forward and thus lock the chain prior to starting. I must admit that I have been starting saws for 30 years and never done this. In fact, my experience has been that most saws won't even strart if the chain brake is locking the chain.

Then the OM says after the engine starts to run: "As the chain brake is still engaged, the engine must be returned to idling speed iimmediately or the engine housing and chain brake might otherwise be damaged."

My observation is, "If the chain brake were never engaged in the first place, it would be impossible to damage the saw."

Please advise.

I agree. There seems to be something wrong with engaging the chain brake and then having the saw start up at fast idle. But it is safer. I've actually started to use the chain brake on my first cold start of the day (don't tell anyone here :) ). After that, I start at idle with the chain brake off. One pull usually, sometimes two if it has been sitting for awhile.

Nice start of a saw collection. However you better go back and pick up an MS460 in case the MS361 gets pinched. You should also think of a little guy for small jobs. The MS180 or MS260 would be a wise choice.:laugh:

Thanks to the experts on this site and their pushing and prodding (all of it well received) - I have had my new MS361 for about 3 weeks. Unfortunately the crappy weather and short daylight hours have only let me run about a third of a tank through it one evening after work. It was unbelievably smooth compared to my other saw experiences and I am looking forward to some great cutting in the coming years.

Do be careful though.....for 11 years I got by with my Stihl 029. I got an outdoor wood burner this year and found this site a month or so ago......and now I have a new 192T, a new MS361, a used MS260......and am looking for a nice used MS660. I have transferred my BAS (Banjo Acquisition Syndrome) over to the CAS (Chainsaw Acquisition Syndrome).

I do have a secret to share with you fellow chainsaw gatherers that has been known for years in the banjo collectors world. Buy a lot of empty cases for your saws and distribute them around the house or garage. Old used cases can be purchased pretty cheaply (at least for banjos - and boxes will work as well). When the timing is right to get a good deal on a saw - yet the timing may not be right to let your wife know about it - you can just put the saw in one of the empty cases until the timing is right (No this isn't a new saw Dear.....I have had this for years!!!). It is very important however that you never get out all the saws at the same time or have them in the same location when the wife is around. A wife doesn't pay a lot of attention to details and can be fooled pretty well when it is a mechanical device like a chainsaw....but they can count pretty well and do remember numbers for a long time. A wide scatter is best and be sure to take advantage of the space under the beds, in the trunk of your car, the attic, garage, basement, work, etc.

Last edited:
I always start the saws in the air, never on the ground!
---------------
Agreed. Same here. Usually I look for a billet or the tree stump as a rest so that the saw chain is about a foot off the ground and clear of any possible obstruction. So, if the chain starts to move when the engine fires, I know I have RPM established.

Sometimes I carry a short 3-legged sturdy stool that I made in my shop to the worksite. I start the saw on it and also sit on it when it's time for coffee. ;)

Its best practice to start the saw with the chainbrake on, especially for the cold start.
It only takes a split second to blip the throttle from fast idle to run, and you don't have 20" of chain screaming around the bar inches from your body parts.

I have been starting saws chainbrake on for eight years, I have yet to have ANY adverse effects, either on the saw or myself!

I will admit that it is a nerve cruncher when a novice starts the saw with the chainbrake on and dithers around for ever trying to remember how to set the saw to run, and you are screaming in your head thinking of all those parts trying to go around and they can't... or keeps blipping the throttle with the chainbrake on..baaarp, baaarp, baaarp :chainsawguy:

Then I carried the 361 to the truck, and drove her to the office to take Pics. Here's the first one I took, the classic catalog profile. The light has a nice glow to it, as if she were in a restaurant

Dok, my diagnose is that you will fit in right here with the other fella's who have the chainsaw bug !! Since there is no cure for it other than an empty wallet, please proceed...LOL :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Bermie said, "Its best practice to start the saw with the chainbrake on, especially for the cold start.

It only takes a split second to blip the throttle from fast idle to run, and you don't have 20" of chain screaming around the bar inches from your body parts."
------------------
Interesting. You see, none of my other saws have ever had anything like this intermediate setting that automatically shifts to Run position. I think I can learn to use it. Practice makes perfect.

Back