MS 361 Stihl Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man everyone should come over my house for a chainsaw meet lol. I have lots of wood on the ground. I will have fun with the new 361 getting it cut up though.

Sounds like fun. Keep you eyes open. Every now and again there are GTG (get togethers) posted. I'm pretty new here as well, haven't been to one yet, but am looking forward to going to a few to shake hands, run saws and swap stories.

Here you go, a magnum will cost you $6.25...:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/MS-440-460-046-...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

f35b_1.JPG

That's where I bought mine...lol!

Are you going to break yours in any certain way or just give it hell? This is the first new chainsaw i have bought. I was going to take it easy for the first three tanks of gas, like the manuel says. Wondering if there was anything else i should know??

Most dealers and loggers here say run them WOT (wide open throttle), and do not let up. They are designed to run best running WOT. I babied mine for about 2 tanks, then could not resist and just let it rip. I eased up on levering it hard and bogging it down though.

Most dealers and loggers here say run them WOT (wide open throttle), and do not let up. They are designed to run best running WOT. I babied mine for about 2 tanks, then could not resist and just let it rip. I eased up on levering it hard and bogging it down though.

I feel the same way, it will be really hard to wait for three tanks of gas to open it up. I live in town, so not having anything to cut was killing me. So i went out in the front yard today after work and cut some limbs off one of my trees (we only have two trees on our land) and then i cut some pallets in half. LOL I know this sounds bad.

MS440/044 & MS460/046 DP muffler cover

Stihl part number: 1128 140 0801

BTW: there is no Stihl DP muffler or cover for the 361. The 361 has a crimped muffler.

Last edited:
So is it really just a decal?

I see where the online sight lists the 361 Magnum...is it really just an added decal? Has anyone priced one of these? I asked a dealer today about them. H e claimed to have heard of them, but did not know what the difference was compared to MS361. I am getting ready to buy a 361, so want am trying to find out the scoop. ALso what do you Stihl owners think about the new tool-less fuel and chain tighter models? Worthwhile or just something to go wrong?

Dave

I see where the online sight lists the 361 Magnum...is it really just an added decal? Has anyone priced one of these? I asked a dealer today about them. H e claimed to have heard of them, but did not know what the difference was compared to MS361. I am getting ready to buy a 361, so want am trying to find out the scoop. ALso what do you Stihl owners think about the new tool-less fuel and chain tighter models? Worthwhile or just something to go wrong?

Dave

Dave,
I just bought a 361 last Sat. The dealer said there is no difference, but who knows he might of just wanted to get rid of an older model. I'm not really sure how to tell when exactly it was made. I did get mine for $524 plus tax with an 18" bar, so i'm happy. And i really like the fuel & bar oil caps. Also i did find out two days after i bought mine that there is talk about a 362??

Coonhunter dont worry you got a good one im sure. I think the newer one is going to be heavier anyway the 362. I also want to know how to tell the build date tho.

Coonhunter dont worry you got a good one im sure. I think the newer one is going to be heavier anyway the 362. I also want to know how to tell the build date tho.

JJ,
How much of a warranty did you get? what size bar did you get and are you considering a muffler mod?

JJ,
How much of a warranty did you get? what size bar did you get and are you considering a muffler mod?

Ide have too check on the warranty but its whatever Stihl has on their saws I didnt buy an extended warranty or anything. I got the 20" bar with an extra RS chain. I might consider a muffler mod after I break it in and get me a tach.

Mine don't say MAGNUM but my condoms do!:hmm3grin2orange:

But all kidding aside open that muffler up and let her breathe!:clap:

Last edited:
Yes, meant to say, fuel and oil caps and chain tensioner.

The fuel and oil caps are good until someone puts them on wrong. Then they won't seal anymore. I don't know how many times we have been out cutting and someone ends up with a bar oil soaked leg because the cap came off. I won't claim said workers to be the most mechanically sound individuals, but it has happened several times. Hasn't happened to me yet thou. I can say that I don't like the quick adjust chain tensioner. I can never get the chain adjusted to where I like it. Jm2cw.

JJay03, Connhunter and Nature 1,

Thanks for the info....that was a good price you got on the 361, as they are running more than $600 in Michigan for a 18" bar.

Back