MS 361 vs MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new 362 which I've only run about a dozen tanks thru. It is a really nice saw. Smooth and powerful, easy starting and reasonably solid feeling, although I'd like slightly stiffer AV springs, as it feels almost like you could tear it apart, but I doubt that's the case.

The twist-locks for the top cover are good, I'd say. You just can't be rammy with them, is all. I've only had the cover off a half-dozen times or so. I think they'll break in nicely, as long as I break them in nicely.

I bought mine for the farm and I couldn't have bought a better saw for fenceline clean-up, snag dropping, and just general chainsaw work. I have an 18" bar on mine and it would pull that thru anything with authority, I think.

The pro chainsaw guys I am currently supervising are running a 362 and a 441. The 441 is noticeably bigger and heavier. I wouldn't want one, personally, as the 362 is definately better for what i need it for. And with a significant cost savings over the 441. If I did it again, though, I would buy the wrap version to get the HO oiler. Although I don't like full wrap bars.........so maybe not.

my 2c

I know I'll get hammered, but I just can't feel the love for the 362. It just gained too much bulk, doesn't handle like a 60cc saw should imho. It feels like a 70cc saw, at less than a pound difference, I'll take the added performance of the 044/440 any day. The 361 to me is about as good as pure firewood saw that has ever been made, it just "feels" right, balances extremely well with a 18" bar, spins a 18" chain with a 8 pin sprocket very well. The 361 really gave the 60cc a niche. If they are all(60cc saws) going to weight and handle like a fat girl, I'll join the guys who champion the 50cc/70cc combo crowd.
I know Troll will pass out reading this, but if the 562 weighs in and handles like a 361, while having as good or better performance, I'd buy one over the 362. I wish they had kept the same weight/profile of the 361 when they came out with the 362. Stihl needs to go back to the drawing board and put this saw on a diet/ up the power/ make it M-tronic or fuel injected model, filteration system of the 261, basically a 5 hp+ version of the 361 out of the box, that would be a fantastic firewood saw.

to each there own i guess. we just purchased another 46 acres of woods, and we are clear cutting it so it can be farmed. all the wood is wet/green, and mostly cherry and red oak. i have been running my 362R and 441 RCM at night/weekends. the 362 w/8 pin & 20" full skip is awesome for this work. not too many trees(after the loggers are done) on this piece that a 20" bar won't handle. i never thought of a 13lb saw as heavy,it is heavier than the 361, but side by side, there is no comparison when they are both buried. the 441 is a great saw, but i am not using it unless i need a 25" bar. if the 362 were m-tronic, it would be the perfect saw for me. even so, it is as good of a firewood saw as any in the business.

I know I'll get hammered, but I just can't feel the love for the 362. It just gained too much bulk, doesn't handle like a 60cc saw should imho. It feels like a 70cc saw, at less than a pound difference, I'll take the added performance of the 044/440 any day. The 361 to me is about as good as pure firewood saw that has ever been made, it just "feels" right, balances extremely well with a 18" bar, spins a 18" chain with a 8 pin sprocket very well. The 361 really gave the 60cc a niche. If they are all(60cc saws) going to weight and handle like a fat girl, I'll join the guys who champion the 50cc/70cc combo crowd.
I know Troll will pass out reading this, but if the 562 weighs in and handles like a 361, while having as good or better performance, I'd buy one over the 362. I wish they had kept the same weight/profile of the 361 when they came out with the 362. Stihl needs to go back to the drawing board and put this saw on a diet/ up the power/ make it M-tronic or fuel injected model, filteration system of the 261, basically a 5 hp+ version of the 361 out of the box, that would be a fantastic firewood saw.

+1!
Most of our guys grab the 362s (We have 12 of them) and don't seem to seem to see the difference with the 361 (even though we still have a few.). I loved the 361 but, now, I tend to grab a 441. Of course, since I have to manage the team, I spend less time cutting than the guys. Nevertheless, If I have to handle a "heavier" saw, might as well have the power of a 441. I never put the saws on a scale, has the weight really changed or is it me? Sure loved the looks my team gave me when they where cutting with the 362 and I took out my personal 440/460BB MM! Barely heavier but so much more power (I know that was cheating, especially since I'm the only one running modified chainsaws around here. It's an unknown thing in France.)
The 362 does the job but, at home, I'd rather have a 361. Might even narrow down to the classic 260/440 plan...

Latest posts

Back