ms 361 with 24" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary's back problem from saws? na... I'm betting Women... Lot's of them.

Hey Gary - quit dating the circus girls...:greenchainsaw:

Gary's back problem from saws? na... I'm betting Women... Lot's of them.

Hey Gary - quit dating the circus girls...:greenchainsaw:

Okay... ya gots me... I was hangin' from the ceiling fan with a whip in one hand and a rubber chicken in my teeth... I let go too early and missed the hole...

:laugh:

Gary

"Balance" is putting the right bar for the wood on the right powerhead.

Nah mang... Balance is walkin' a felled 30+" dbh spar, and limbin' with an 044, with a 32" bar, and not fallin off... :)

Gary

A true story about running a 25 inch bar on a 361

I have gotten several PMs with questions about running the 25 inch bar on the 361. We seem to have beaten this poor dog to death, but long story short, the 361 was FACTORY DESIGNED to run a 25 inch bar. It will oil a 25 no problem (crank up the oiler to full). Forget what these ninnies back east and Europe say about a 25 inch bar being bar heavy, throws the balance off from holding with the top handle, and a 25 inch being too much bar for that poor little saw. Ain't no such thang, mang!!!!! :cheers:

I believed these short bar goons myself on AS about 2 years ago. So I ran only the 20 inch bar on my first 361. Then there was a fellow named Wojo that sold a bunch of GB Pro bars for cheap here on AS, and I got myself a 25 inch solid bar. Daym, if that bar did not run great on the 361 with RM full comp chain on it! Bar none, it is my favorite 361 bar! I also have solid 16, 18, 20, and 28 inch bars in 3/8 .050 size that I have also run on one of my 361s. I have cut down 22 DBH oaks with a 361 and a 25 inch bar and bucked them up. No problem. 28 inch box elders, 20 inch Monterey pines. 25 inch redwoods. Here is the grove of ~120 foot tall redwoods that I dropped this summer:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74744

The issues of too long a bar with the 361 comes in when you run a 28 inch bar on one. They sell a LOT of 361s around here with 28 inch bars on them, BTW. My second 361 came with that size bar sold new from a dealer near here (I bought it used from the original owner). No clutch burn, no engine scarring, no sign of any problems other than some blueing on the bar that indicates it wants more oil. It is recommended that you pop in a 460 high capacity oil pump piston and bolt into the 361 if you want to run a bar longer than 25 inch, they will fit right in. Then run that thing like it was a mild ape or something, with RMF full skip and she will do just fine. I have found that running RM2 full comp on that is a bit sluggish (came with the saw for 'free'). I will keep it for cutting down potential nailey trees here (I have some log photos for another thread that I will start of people's trees that they swear has not a single nail in it! *cough*). :chainsaw:

BTW: I have also found that when running a Shrimpy East Coast/Euro Bar (SECEB) :poke: 16 or 18 inch on the 361, it runs better with a larger 8 pin rim sprocket. Otherwise it seems to be a waste of torque. The 8 pin will give it more chain speed at the price of some uneeded torque. IMO...

Oh, and this is solid California black oak, 22 inch DBH, cut and bucked up with the 25 inch BG bar and 361 saw here:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I have gotten several PMs with questions about running the 25 inch bar on the 361. We seem to have beaten this poor dog to death, but long story short, the 361 was FACTORY DESIGNED to run a 25 inch bar. It will oil a 25 no problem (crank up the oiler to full). Forget what these ninnies back east and Europe say about a 25 inch bar being bar heavy, throws the balance off from holding with the top handle, and a 25 inch being too much bar for that poor little saw. Ain't no such thang, mang!!!!! :cheers:

I believed these short bar goons myself on AS about 2 years ago. So I ran only the 20 inch bar on my first 361. Then there was a fellow named Wojo that sold a bunch of GB Pro bars for cheap here on AS, and I got myself a 25 inch solid bar. Daym, if that bar did not run great on the 361 with RM full comp chain on it! Bar none, it is my favorite 361 bar! I also have solid 16, 18, 20, and 28 inch bars in 3/8 .050 size that I have also run on one of my 361s. I have cut down 22 DBH oaks with a 361 and a 25 inch bar and bucked them up. No problem. 28 inch box elders, 20 inch Monterey pines. 25 inch redwoods. Here is the grove of ~120 foot tall redwoods that I dropped this summer:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74744

The issues of too long a bar with the 361 comes in when you run a 28 inch bar on one. They sell a LOT of 361s around here with 28 inch bars on them, BTW. My second 361 came with that size bar sold new from a dealer near here (I bought it used from the original owner). No clutch burn, no engine scarring, no sign of any problems other than some blueing on the bar that indicates it wants more oil. It is recommended that you pop in a 460 high capacity oil pump piston and bolt into the 361 if you want to run a bar longer than 25 inch, they will fit right in. Then run that thing like it was a mild ape or something, with RMF full skip and she will do just fine. I have found that running RM2 full comp on that is a bit sluggish (came with the saw for 'free'). I will keep it for cutting down potential nailey trees here (I have some log photos for another thread that I will start of people's trees that they swear has not a single nail in it! *cough*). :chainsaw:

BTW: I have also found that when running a Shrimpy East Coast/Euro Bar (SECEB) :poke: 16 or 18 inch on the 361, it runs better with a larger 8 pin rim sprocket. Otherwise it seems to be a waste of torque. The 8 pin will give it more chain speed at the price of some uneeded torque. IMO...

Ok, but your 28 inch bar on a 361 in rock hard hedge, mulberry, or locust would look and act foolish here. I completely understand the idea that you west coast guys deal with softwood for the most part, and Im not downplaying that in the least. Falling big trees is dangerous and requires the right stuff no matter where or what kind of tree or saw. My 361 wears usually an 18" bar with an 8 pin sprocket, and that makes it awesome for the standing dead old hard-as-a-rock trees around here. The 064 wears a 28", and handles the bigger gnarly, nasty old snags. My 044 wears a 20"bar, and is my perfect saw. (Did I mention I love my 044)

Nah mang... Balance is walkin' a felled 30+" dbh spar, and limbin' with an 044, with a 32" bar, and not fallin off... :)

Gary

huh im 12 carry my dads 044 36" bar :jawdrop: and when i one hand it the tip hits ground.but im lookin for a 32" and dont want to pay full any one have one they can part with.but on the plus side of it im a lot stronger than i was and no longer complain about my :chainsaw: 034 av super with 28" bar and just one thing it pulls that bar no prob. fyi 034 av super=036/361

here it is:

8 pin - 18''
7 pin - 25''
normal RS on both

hard- soft - wet - dry; no complaints at all, even big surprise with how well the 25" behaves.
Yes if i had to run it all day and earn my bacon with it i would run a 70cc.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back