ms 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rusty,

You`d probably gain something with a non-Turbo or Air Injection saw but the filtration area of the stock filter is likely to be a limiting factor. That`s the benefit of using a Max Flow on the bigger Stihls.

I`m not implying that there is any forced induction beyond atmospheric pressure with Turbo or Air Injection saws. I do suspect that you could alter the flow characteristics enough to cause a loss of performance on these saws. glens and Crofter had a lengthy thread going on this topic. You should do a search if you are interested since I didn`t care enough about their results to commit them to memory and cannot reliably convey the findings. Sorry Glen and Frank, I don`t mean this to be a reflection on my opinion of you. I just wasn`t interested in where the thread went.

Russ

On any machine that uses an enclosed airbox and filter, compromising that enclosed airbox ( i.e. drilling holes ) will improve airflow and performance but will degrade the machine's ability to filter the incoming air. The Max-Flow kits available for the bigger Stihl saws work great, but I've found they must be cleaned more often.

Russ is correct, you wouldn't want to compromise your airbox on a modern Husqvarna or Jonsered saw that uses the "air injection" feature, as you'd notice a loss in flow. I've run a 372 with the air filter cover off and there is a difference.

The best set-up I used on the older big Stihl saws was a "velocity adaptor"; which is an aluminum ring that bolts directly to the carb, you can then mount a K&N air filter directly to this. For a prefilter use one of the nylon bags available from K&N, or better yet get an old pair of panty hose from your old lady and tie panty hose on around the filter and carb itself.

Jim, you're correct, the design on the newer saws like the 280 and the 361 is to limit spitback, but I'm thinking with proper mods spitback won't be an issue in these little saws. If my aftermarket air filter for the 361 works out, I may actually try to start marketing it.

Originally posted by jokers
glens and Crofter had a lengthy thread going on this topic. You should do a search if you are interested since I didn`t care enough about their results to commit them to memory and cannot reliably convey the findings. Sorry Glen and Frank, I don`t mean this to be a reflection on my opinion of you. I just wasn`t interested in where the thread went.
Part of where it <i>didn't</i> go was you timing some cuts and posting the results like you'd said you would.

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Part of where it <i>didn't</i> go was you timing some cuts and posting the results like you'd said you would.

Glen

Are you sure about that Glen? Wasn`t part of the experiment to make cuts with a perforated filter cover, you know, the one I wasn`t willing to pay for since it wasn`t my bright idea nor a burning issue with me. In this case I`m perfectly happy not trying to fix what isn`t broke.

You got a point to prove? Prove it!

Russ

Why do you say that Brian? Do I sound that confrontational? I`m just trying to answer Glen with the same tone that he chastised me with. Actually I`m laughing though because I think I know Glen by now.

BTW, I just re-read the entire "Elux turbo injection" thread which would be the referenced thread, and I didn`t see anywhere that I said I would make timed cuts. What did I miss?

Russ

Russ,

In <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=104677">post 104677</a> you said "I`ll probably perform your experiment but I can`t say when. First I have to make a friend."

The experiment at that time was only to time a few cuts in succession alternating top-cover on, top-cover off, top-cover on, etc.&nbsp; Later, Frank suggested using a manometer and you offered to do that if I'd send you a sacrificial cover.

Does any of this sound familiar?

I never thought it would be as good an idea to measure pressure as to simply make some cuts back-to-back.&nbsp; Where the pressure sample would be taken could result in too much variability in measurement IMO.

If I were a clueless incognito entity, would I be incognitive?

Glen

Originally posted by TreeCo
.... Good work Glen. Hold him to the fire.

Dan

Hmmmm...... I just re-read the thread and even with the skillful editing of Glen, I still don`t see where my statement "I`ll PROBABLY perform your experiment but I CAN`T SAY WHEN. First I have to make a friend." expresses any implicit commitment from me to perform any evaluation at any time. In fact, I still don`t have a friend and that is a severely limiting factor. :D Besides, I thought Crofter did get involved with Glen on this and assumed that he ran the cover/no cover cuts. What`s the big deal with that? Anyone with an Air Injected saw could perform this segment of this experiment.

So.... I may at some time in the future make these cuts to satsify you Elux challenged guys, but first I need to obtain some video capture software that will make accurate timing possible. I`m running Windows 2000 Pro if that makes any difference in your suggestions.

Russ

Originally posted by jokers
So.... I may at some time in the future make these cuts to satsify you Elux challenged guys, but first I need to obtain some video capture software that will make accurate timing possible. I`m running Windows 2000 Pro if that makes any difference in your suggestions.
Hi Russ.

As you likely correctly guess I'm neither upset nor mad about anything.&nbsp; In fact, I thank you for making me look up that post again; it's one of my favorites, especially in context.&nbsp; It's almost the poster-child exhibit of your endearing style.&nbsp; Thanks for the entertainment, Russ.

Suggestion-wise I'd say get a real operating system.

If anybody does perform the test suite, please post the results in the <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10572">thread</a>.

Answering my own previous question, I would (and am, but you already knew that, right Russ?).

Glen

Glen and Russ

With your silly quibbling you have probably both forgotten what you were initially talking about! Sheeesssh, I'm glad I'm not at all like that! Lol.

Frank

Hey Russ

Don't get too in'tree'ged with the 361 Stihl- you need one of the other orange saws from Germany...

Back