ms 390 and a 361 price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i recently went to my local dealer and he gave me a price on the 361 of 620$ and i have heard a lot about this saw and how great it is and i was wondering if the 361s you guys bought cost more that the 390. i got mine at a around 500$. the 390 i have now runs prety good but how much better does the 361 run?

Different saw. Different feel. I have a 290 and a 361. 361 has way better AV. The 361 has a tad more power than the 390, but not much. More metal in the 361; like the side cover is metal and not plastic. Better plastic in the 361 as well. 361 engine is easy to get to and pull. The 361 is also lighter than the 390. I toyed for a long time on the issue of buying a 390 or a 361, and I opted for the 361. The AV alone is worth it I think. I have since bought a second 361. I rarely use the 290 any more (a modified one).

Different saw. Different feel. I have a 290 and a 361. 361 has way better AV. The 361 has a tad more power than the 390, but not much. More metal in the 361; like the side cover is metal and not plastic. Better plastic in the 361 as well. 361 engine is easy to get to and pull. The 361 is also lighter than the 390. I toyed for a long time on the issue of buying a 390 or a 361, and I opted for the 361. The AV alone is worth it I think. I have since bought a second 361. I rarely use the 290 any more (a modified one).

U nailed it! If you do a lot of cutting the 390 will quickly turn your wrists to hamburger and have you spilling beer all down the front of yourself. I dont agree with the 361 price or the 357 for that matter but carlpal tunnel surgery is way more expensive. Advice, kick in 75 more dollars and get a 372, best saw you'll ever buy.

Your sig suggest you aint lacking chainsaws. I can’t comment on the 390 but the ms361 is a little anemic in its stock form. To properly modify it cost about $100. There is a “sticky” above that details the process. Even modified, it is no match for a husky 372 or a stihl 440. All depends are what you intend to do with the saw.

I have never owned or priced a 390 but I bought a 361 this fall for $479. $520 after all was said and done.

Spend the extra cash and get the 361. I bought the 390 because I felt it would be sufficient and it is, but I used my buddies 357XP the 361's equivalent (yeah I said it) and you can really feel the difference. The 390 just wears me out more then it should. It is like the difference between carrying a live date to bed and a dead date that had too much dessert to the freshly dug hole out in the woods; dead weight. I wish I could go back in time and spend the extra $125.

I did, I bought a 390. :D

One of the biggest advantages of the 361 and other pro saws it the wide availibilty of parts from alternative sources like Baileys. My 024 is an older saw but there are lots of parts availible for it, almost none for the 390.

yeah well just bout all the saws i run are older which is alright but i would really rather run a new 1 and let the old guys not work so hard yeah i think i am gunna save the money because a lot of trees could be cut around here with a 361. and i dont find the 390 heavy even with a 28'' bar i know its to big but you do with whattcha got or used to anyways but then again there is no little guy carrying the 390.

Latest posts

Back