MS 650 Ported

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire8

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a ported 650 been thinking about getting mine done but not looking into making it into a 660 I like the powerband on the 650 better then the 660

I've put about 5 tank though it I put a dp on
It and mm it run good for what it is
But there is just something missing
I don't use it that much just use it for when I need a 32
Bar

I am confused by your posts. It sounds like you like the 650 better than the 660, don't want the bigger displacement of the 660, but aren't happy with the 650's power. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

What is missing is a non decomp ported 066 jug,..just sayin...

I think what pioneerguy is trying to say is that you have a sucky jug to begin with :msp_smile:. Im not sure about the 650 jugs, but I have read that the 660 jugs from that era are not as desirable for performance mods as the older non-decomp jugs as suggested.

Its my thought if your going to spend $250-$300 to get it ported, you might as well swap the jug out to a better jug to maximize performance.

A little birdie told me there might be a new thread soon about a "new to the market" cylinder kit that will fit your saw. The hope is that it will offer increased performance, good quality and for a reasonable price. But we'll have to wait for the thread I guess ;) Stay tuned.....

I will be following this! I just picked up a nice MS 650 at a pawn shop for $250! I would love to see what its does when ported.

I have ported a 650 for a friend of mine and it turned out pretty good,but its no ported 660 by any means.
Seriously port the head you have if thats what you want to do. If done correctly it will run better than a stock 660.

A "nice" MS650 for $250 earns a "you suck" award.

Here it is along with its little brother the 460 Magnum, which I paid $400 for.

1A188AB1-A567-4401-A1CF-AE0A7CC40AFD-8930-00000D8F4565827E_zpsa82eb01e.jpg

Get Yourself a Stock 066 Mufler

I agree that the 650's have a sweet powerband. I had one, and regret selling it. I would pick up a stock Stihl 066 muffler, retune, and call it a day. That alone will wake up the 650 quite a bit. It did on mine.

Just send it Danny.........I'll knock 50.00 off for you since you are a fireman and stuff. :rock:

Just send it Danny.........I'll knock 50.00 off for you since you are a fireman and stuff. :rock:

I guess what I'm look for the 650 made into
A felling chaser,stump and butt cutter running a
32" bar the 365/372 and the 550 to do the rest
Does that make sense

Latest posts

Back