Ms 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
anyone know of any updates or heard anything recently. Would like to pick up another saw in that range and not sure If I want to hold out or not.

Recently talked about in the 2013 stihl thread. So far theyre saying late 2013 release. And thats about it.

Ok, could wait till then "IF" its going to be an improvement. Anyone know how well they r holding up?

Safe bet? Compare the 460 and 461. New air filter cover, slightly better fuel eff, slightly more choked up. Not exactly what i call an "improvement". More like clogging up the 70cc market more. Now if they add spring av, mtronic option, and maybe even shave a little fat off, im on board for one. Talking about the 661 that is...

Last edited:
What I heard was the 661 would be more like the 441 with spring av and flippy caps. I've not seen one so that's just what I heard.:givebeer:

So if i was you and you were wanting a big stihl, id get a 660 now. Worst case scenario is the 661 comes out, its totally badass but has a few kinks to work out, give it 6 months and by then you coild sell your 660 and buy a new 661. So all in all your looking at 18ish months. Thats not too bad. Isnt torturing yourself with decisions fun? Mine? 576at, 441cm, or 390xp. Now you lnow why i want a 661 mtronic or even a 390xp at. Best of both worlds.

Safe bet? Compare the 460 and 461. New air filter cover, slightly better fuel eff, slightly more choked up. Not exactly what i call an "improvement". More like clogging up the 70cc market more. Now if they add spring av, mtronic option, and maybe even shave a little fat off, im on board for one. Talking about the 661 that is...

The new 461 runs circles around a stock 460 I hardly call that more choked up. They really showed improvement with porting. I don't think Stihl is willing to put out a dud on this model:(

If Stihl follows the quad porting improvement of the 461 and puts it in the 661 without adding a ton of weight it's gonna be a winner. Especially if they add the newer stiffer sprung AV of the later 441's.

So if i was you and you were wanting a big stihl, id get a 660 now. Worst case scenario is the 661 comes out, its totally badass but has a few kinks to work out, give it 6 months and by then you coild sell your 660 and buy a new 661. So all in all your looking at 18ish months. Thats not too bad. Isnt torturing yourself with decisions fun? Mine? 576at, 441cm, or 390xp. Now you lnow why i want a 661 mtronic or even a 390xp at. Best of both worlds.

I have a 660 now as well as several others. Would like another saw in that range and not sure if I want another 660 to share my parts stash with or get a 661 or buy a 660 now, then a 661 6 months after it comes out and have a badass trio:rock:

Yea i wouldnt call the 461 a dud, just a bit of a let down i guess.Theyre still a great saw. And yes, the stiffer av springs are nice. I handled a new 441cm the other day and the main part of the case didnt jiggle around like jello.

If you already have a 660, id wait then. Youll never have trouble finding parts for them:rock:

Dang, you had to throw the 576AT in there - so now I gotta' get one of those too so I can say "what is this or you speak of?"

they are not out yet to see if they hold up:confused:

Thought they were being "tested" somewhere.

They are indeed being tested and seem to be popular. All I know is that they aren't M-Tronic but their transfers are an integral part of the case. From what I've heard they run from the cylinder and align with ports into the crankcase so are a fair bit longer than a normal 660's transfers. They should have good torque but may be difficult to modify extensively without cracking the case.
Will have to wait and see I suppose :)

funny you say no m tronic i talked to the stihl reps last month at the tcia expo in baltimore and that was there main "marketing" thing about the 661 that it was indeed m tronic.

Latest posts

Back