Ms-880 vs husky 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one

• Ms-880

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • 3120xp

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I’ve been tossing around the idea of buying a big boy saw to mill with now that I sold the 660.

I’m having trouble deciding which saw to get, I’ve had stihl and huskys.

So the husky is 1399 and the stihl is 1799. Is the stihl worth the extra $400 bucks? I think I prefer the stihl over the husky but let me know what you think. Saw will be used exclusively to mill.

So I’ve been tossing around the idea of buying a big boy saw to mill with now that I sold the 660.

I’m having trouble deciding which saw to get, I’ve had stihl and huskys.

So the husky is 1399 and the stihl is 1799. Is the stihl worth the extra $400 bucks? I think I prefer the stihl over the husky but let me know what you think. Saw will be used exclusively to mill.

Go to eBay for better Stihl pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you consider that you can have a MMWS3120xp for what a stock 880 would cost... sorta makes it's own case.
I have a 3120xp for milling that Randy has worked over and it's difficult to imagine a better saw for the job.

Oils great , Starts easy every time, runs cool (even milling), and the bars are less expensive and easier to come by which accounts for a few more dollars. (880 has it's own bolt pattern shared with other BIG stihls ...less common=more money)

My felling/bucking saw is a Stihl and I've had a couple 661's come through here.
I like Stihls but that 3120xp is a tough value to argue against in it's class.... especially for milling.

Some have found the 3120XP Hard to Start, Honestly, I had been a Lurker here on AS for awhile, and it was asking for advice on starting my 3120, that was my first Thread or Post on AS.
That Beast will flat WEAR a guy OUT, until you figure this saw out.

IGNORE the owners manual when starting this saw from Cold.

DO NOT USE the Throttle Lock when Cold

Set the choke, then usually after 3-4 Pulls, she will Snort, Choke off , then generally 1-3 pulls, and you wake up people in the next county.

From warm either pull out, then push back in the choke to set the high idle, or use the Throttle Lock WITHOUT using the choke,

Now that I have figured my saw out, I rarely have any trouble starting it, you WON'T Forget the Decomp Valve very Often;)

The owners manual said to use the Choke AND the Throttle Lock for Cold Starts, and that IS what my "Old Reliable" 266XP Likes, so that is what I naturally tried at first, and Dayum near had a coronary doing it.

I haven't run an 880, so I can't give any comparative advice, but I WOULD Buy another 3120XP, without Hesitation

Doug :cheers:

If you consider that you can have a MMWS3120xp for what a stock 880 would cost... sorta makes it's own case.
I have a 3120xp for milling that Randy has worked over and it's difficult to imagine a better saw for the job.

Oils great , Starts easy every time, runs cool (even milling), and the bars are less expensive and easier to come by which accounts for a few more dollars. (880 has it's own bolt pattern shared with other BIG stihls ...less common=more money)

My felling/bucking saw is a Stihl and I've had a couple 661's come through here.
I like Stihls but that 3120xp is a tough value to argue against in it's class.... especially for milling.
Bars aren’t bad.....41” 3002 mount for $106zz

Bars aren’t bad.....41” 3002 mount for $106zz

And the .404 chains aren't as expensive as I was expecting. Yesterday, 2 chains (chisel, full skip) for the 41'' bar set me back only $88.

IMO, it is whether you are a Stihl or a Husky guy. I have owned both, and I prefer the Stihls.

Look around the ms880 deals are out there. My R version was new, PHO, $1100 plus a very used Sig P220.

Go to eBay for better Stihl pricing.

1799 shipped is the cheapest new saw I've found, there's a few on there from Russia that are cheaper but I don't feel like dealing with all that.
It really depends upon your dealer support but I voted Stihl.

No replacement for displacement! :rock:

Dealer support is the same, I have 3-4 of each dealers in a 25-30 mile radius of where I'm at.

Have a friend who has run both had a problem with his Stihl dealer took it in but showed some reluctance to order parts & carry out the work ,got a sizeable milling job & with being given the run around with the Stihl went & bought a 3120 in a sort of fit of peek his take after some 4 months more or less constant board production is why did I not get a Husky in the first instance he likes it better in almost all ways & says it"s even more economical, it was a cheaper buy also He obtained the parts to rebuild the Stihl & sold it on to another guy who mills to rebuild

Wow, 8 for the husky 9 for the stihl, I thought there’d be a bigger margin! Still don’t know what to do!

3120 has outboard clutch, i like my big saws to have outboard clutch
and its couple hundred cheaper. i'd rather get a 1201 than 880
MMWS 3120 is pretty good deal for money

I’d rather have a 1201 that either.

I've had limited use with both and know many who have either. Both are great saws for their intended use. It has been said to me the Husky is better with extreme bar lengths and better for milling. In personal experience the stihl seemed marginally better in handling, least with 36" bars. With the cost difference and the fact that neither saw has reliability issues, I voted for the 3120. As I will be in the market for a milling saw soon, it will be the saw I get unless I decide to build a 090.

Welp I had 2 people supposed to come look at my dump truck that’s for sale and both were no shows.

Just have to sell the truck before I buy my new saw. Still not sure what to buy but I’ll decide soon enough

Anybody need a dump truck?!

Attachments

• 35CAF08C-DAC5-401E-AF2A-C417A6500C08.jpeg
    35CAF08C-DAC5-401E-AF2A-C417A6500C08.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Welp I had 2 people supposed to come look at my dump truck that’s for sale and both were no shows.

Just have to sell the truck before I buy my new saw. Still not sure what to buy but I’ll decide soon enough

Anybody need a dump truck?!
So what did you get?

Back