Ms 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinj

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok going to bite the bullet here and buy a brand new one on monday..
This will be used as milling only is there anything I should order differnt like 1/2 wrap or full? dont think there is any other op's?

This will be used as milling only is there anything I should order differnt like 1/2 wrap or full? dont think there is any other op's?
A new 880 ? Congratulations. :chainsaw:

If you happen to be milling a log that is lying on the ground, then ground clearance on the clutch side can be a problem. Wrap bars will stick out on the ground side and catch brush, stumps, etc.. So no, don't get a wrap bar for a milling saw.

Do you have a choice on the bar ? Avoid .404, go with 3/8, or even do like Aggie and use .325" up to 44" bar length.

A new 880 ? Congratulations. :chainsaw:

If you happen to be milling a log that is lying on the ground, then ground clearance on the clutch side can be a problem. Wrap bars will stick out on the ground side and catch brush, stumps, etc.. So no, don't get a wrap bar for a milling saw.

Do you have a choice on the bar ? Avoid .404, go with 3/8, or even do like Aggie and use .325" up to 44" bar length.

yes I am going with the 3/8 and will be able to get the logs off the ground about 12-14in. The mill I have goes up to a 32 in. bar I already have one of those so bar length I was thinking 41? but could go with any length?

If your mill is already maxed out with a 32" bar and you're gonna stay with that length I suggest you get another 32" bar. If you're going to expand your mill for longer bars then order the new bar to fit. The 41" bar will give about 32" of cut with an Alaskan.

What ever you do, get all the same gage bars and chains. I don't think it matters - .050, .058, .063 - its just easier to have everything the same so you can use damaged and shortened chains from the longer bar on the shorter bars.

I don't see any advantage to a full wrap handle for milling.

If your mill is already maxed out with a 32" bar and you're gonna stay with that length I suggest you get another 32" bar. If you're going to expand your mill for longer bars then order the new bar to fit. The 41" bar will give about 32" of cut with an Alaskan.

What ever you do, get all the same gage bars and chains. I don't think it matters - .050, .058, .063 - its just easier to have everything the same so you can use damaged and shortened chains from the longer bar on the shorter bars.

I don't see any advantage to a full wrap handle for milling.

yea everything I have is the .050 3/8...what I have now is the 30in. mill but figure I will need a bigger one at some point I also have the mini mill as well.

yea everything I have is the .050 3/8...what I have now is the 30in. mill but figure I will need a bigger one at some point I also have the mini mill as well.
The 880 bar will most likely be 0.063" gage. Lotsa luck finding an 0.050" gage bar for the large Stihl mount.

If the need arises, I believe you can buy longer rails for your Alaskan mill, rather than buying a whole new mill.

And remember per A.S. rules no pics's saw never happened.:yourock: Boy I wish I was in your shoes and could afford a new big saw like that. Congradulations on the upcoming purchase.

Beefie

And remember per A.S. rules no pics's saw never happened.:yourock: Boy I wish I was in your shoes and could afford a new big saw like that. Congradulations on the upcoming purchase.

Beefie

I have enough board ft to pay for it a couple of time over. Just hate wearing out my 460 just to get it done.

Doing the math on gas and oil for this thing is there cheaper way to do this I have an aux oiler as well but seems like it will be time to buy oil and gas 5 gallons at a time?

Doing the math on gas and oil for this thing is there cheaper way to do this I have an aux oiler as well but seems like it will be time to buy oil and gas 5 gallons at a time?

I thought everybody in this forum buys gas and oil 5 gallons at a time. :biggrinbounce2:

Bailey's price for synthetic oil is 10 cents per ounce by the 5 gallon bucket, or 22 cents per ounce by the case, if I did the math right.

But -- a case will last me a year. A 5 gallon pail would probably last me several years.

Last edited:
Bailey's price for synthetic oil is 10 cents per ounce by the 5 gallon bucket, or 22 cents per ounce by the case, if I did the math right.

But -- a case will last me a year. A 5 gallon pail would probably last me several years.

Ok that is the route I will go I will have 2300-2500 board ft to start with.

The 880 has a lrage mount bar pattern, I hope you realize the bars from your 460 will not fit the 880.

Here is the size difference

066880006.jpg

Last edited:
The 880 has a lrage mount bar pattern, I hope you realize the bars from your 460 will not fit the 880.

Here is the size difference

066880006.jpg

Thank for telling me gink I thought the 3/8 on the 880 would be the same That sucks...There is 2 choices with the 880, 404 and 3/8 could the 3/8 bar be the same?

I just bought a extra set of 880 studs and am going to turn them down to the small mount bar pattern and see if that works, I think I'll have to drill the oiler holes on the bar also for it to work. But like you I have too many bars that would be useful on the 880

Back