Ms180c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfitz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been running my MS180C a lot this week, enough to have to gotten use
to the quick chain adjuster, and dudes, that adjuster has spoiled me! No need
for a scwrench, heck, I don't even have to lay it down to readjust, it's that intuitive
by now. Like most here, I was a little leery of the quick chain adjuster at first, but
now I wish all my saws had one!

I play music for a living, I chain saw for noise appreciation.

glad your happy with it!

I have been running my MS180C a lot this week, enough to have to gotten use
to the quick chain adjuster, and dudes, that adjuster has spoiled me! No need
for a scwrench, heck, I don't even have to lay it down to readjust, it's that intuitive
by now. Like most here, I was a little leery of the quick chain adjuster at first, but
now I wish all my saws had one!

I play music for a living, I chain saw for noise appreciation.

There are a lot of saw snobs on here! But if it works for you that is all that matters! hell I put a Intenz bar on my little poulan because I did'nt like the one it came with! No problems yet! The heater in my 044 quit working Have to take a look at it does that mean it is junk? I am sure it is a minor problem. As new ideas come out there might be a few bugs or the manufactures will discontinue using them if it persists. As long as they don't hamper the performance or life of the saw who cares! And anyway thats what we have mod's for just did my 2159.

I know a few guys that climb with the 180C. The chain tensioner is handy on the rare occasion that the chain pops off while in the tree.
Cool idea.

Qca

I have the QCA on a saw, and I have to admit that I like the feature. It's handy and functions well. This option does run up the price of the saw a bit. All in all, it's certainly not a necessary feature...but I do like it!

Last edited:
I agree on the tool-less adjust being handy on a climbing saw.....for what Stihl charges for the 200T I would think they could include the feature.

OH.......SORRY

that would actually MAKE SENSE:yoyo:

I'm just wondering if it is possible to get the 180 without the quick adjust? Has the saw always had the quick adjuster or did some come with the standard tensioner? Is there a regular style adjuster that can be installed? I.E. bar studs side cover and tension screw? Thanks

Lake: if you say its good, it is. I will quit looking and just take your word on it. Thanks..

Lord love a Lake, the new demigod of saws.

Personally I do not like the quickie chain adjusters. Too many moving parts to break. You can stihl get a 180 with the standard bar adjuster saw around here.

hmmm... you can? I'm in the same Stihl area (StihlNW) as you and it's not currently offered.

Too many parts? three? less (or same?) number of parts than a "std" chain adjuster. Never have seen one break.. or had to fix one.

As far as being functional ...all the the ones I've used seem to work fine. I guess the one small argument that can be made against it is that it prevents you from being able to flip your bar over...but this fairly insignificant imo because of the number of hours most of the people using these saws put on them.

Last edited:
hmmm... you can? I'm in the same Stihl area (StihlNW) as you and it's not currently offered.

Too many parts? three? less (or same?) number of parts than a "std" chain adjuster. Never have seen one break.. or had to fix one.

They had one one on the shelf last time I was at the Cottage Grove store. They also had the one and only 440 that I have seen this fall at any Stihl dealer.

I am surprised that they have not broken. I tore one down with the local dealer here in Drain one day. The plastic gears did not impress us. Shrug. I do not find that adjusting bars, er 'the old fashion way' in the field is an issue. Oil, gas, scrench. Need the scrench for the older Stihls to fill with gas/bar oil anyway.

Last edited:
Wow can't beat that ; ) I didn't know it was that easy to move the gear wheel to the other side. Thats what I get for believing Mr. Troll.

Latest posts

Back