Ms180c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a costumer who uses the 180c exclusively as his climbing saws. He has 5 of them and they've lasted upwards of 7 years. Which for a cheap home owner saw is very impressive condisered they're used 300+ plus days a year.

well.. to be clear.. you need to remove one screw to flip the bar - 15 seconds... ;)

Yep. No problems with the one on my 361. Have already flipped the bar twice.

Wow can't beat that ; ) I didn't know it was that easy to move the gear wheel to the other side. Thats what I get for believing Mr. Troll.

I understand you guys know this, but for others in doubt about the qca:

On a 250 it's a traditional screw, I believe it's the same on a 180, so a screwdriver is required. But on the 026, and I think the other larger saws aswell, the screw got such a big head you don't need no tool, you can loosen and tighten it with your fingers. Yes, it is an extra step to perform when flipping the bar, but on the other hand you have the extra step of loosen two nuts instead of one to flip the bar or every time you tighten the chain on a traditional saw. I'll say over time it's about equal amount of work for booth systems, or maybe even less for the qca.

The real downside is that you get spoiled. On more than one occasion I've been out with some other saw and forgot to bring my scrench just because there's nearly nothing you use it for with the 250...

I hate the QCA, it is fixing a problem that does not exist IMO. Keep your scrench in your chaps pocket and the QCA is useless. I honestly don't see it saving any time or effort. As a matter of fact, if there is crud in the gears then adjusting the chain is harder because the thumbwheel is hard to turn. It is also hard to get the same precise chain adjustment as you can with a conventional adjuster.

My 180 is the only saw I've got with it, and that's because you can't buy a 180 without the QCA.

The 170 is offered without the QCA, if I had to do it over again I'd buy the 170 just for that reason.

Of course, if you are running Stihl chain at least you don't have to adjust often.

Well that is why I like the 170 better too if I were in the market, change that to MS170.(I think my rep sez I'm supposed to agree with everyone)

I hate the QCA, it is fixing a problem that does not exist IMO. Keep your scrench in your chaps pocket and the QCA is useless. I honestly don't see it saving any time or effort. As a matter of fact, if there is crud in the gears then adjusting the chain is harder because the thumbwheel is hard to turn. It is also hard to get the same precise chain adjustment as you can with a conventional adjuster. .....

I agree, except that I don't like the word "hate"....:laugh: :laugh: :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I like the QCA on my 180C. I would not want it on a larger saw but for a small saw setup it works fine.

My 4 yr. old 018 has the quick chain adjust. Big word of caution, don't drop that little screw when flipping the bar, you wont find it (well, I dropped my in the grass, one of the chickens probably ate it). From yrs. of use a part of the plastic housing has worn away to the point that the adjuster (round thing with flip out handle) falls out of the housing when you pull the cover completely off. NBD put a point to remember. Cost difference if you have to replace that cover -- don't know but it may be a few more $$s for quick adjust.

If I were buying a new saw in this size I'd go with the MS210 w/side adjuster. Few $$s more, little more h.p., not much more weight, and a little more stout chain (PM vs. PMN (friend of mine is always knocking teeth off his 017, his idea of skip chain)).

Personally, after yrs. of heavy use I could easily have done without the quick adjust my that 018.

Just my $ .02 worth.

:cheers:

The QCA makes the saw self contained. I love it for a trail saw. It works great. Does it belong on a felling/bucking saw? Maybe not. But on a utility saw, I think it is a viable option.

Ok is there a way to tell the saws age by the serial #? looking at one on fleebay and here is the # 253546579.
Just don't want to buy junk. If I can get it for $100. or less I think I will be doing good but a new one with case is 209.+tax. I'm back and forth about the used one. Just going to use it for a limbing saw on oak/hickory firewood. I use the 361 for felling and bucking. Thanks......

Latest posts

Back