Ms200 intake boot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the av mounts wear the torc is then transferred to the boot and stretches them . Try a new one if that doesn't work i will buy it . I have a saw that needs a new one . These need yo be replaced more often then a rear handled saw especially if your climbing with it because of the different cutting positions.

I do over 30 200Ts a year and this is one of the most common areas for an air leak. Don't use sealant, teflon tape or anything along those lines. Get yourself a NEW Stihl intake boot P/N 1129 141 2200. The old ones degrade over time do to heat, vibration and contact with fuel. Just remember to apply a little Vaseline to the inside of the retainer plate to allow it to slip over the boot easily.

While you have her apart make sure your impulse line isn't hard as a rock and the 3 AV buffers (mounts) are in good shape and not loose, torn or worn out. If you have any questions just replace them. Another area to check is the top handle itself. I've seen a lot of them with the rear mount area compromised due to cracking. When the mounts or handle start to go they put a significant load on the intake boot causing it to fail.

Do your final vacuum / pressure check when the saw is completely assembled, with the obvious exception of the clutch cover, starter or carb if you use the factory Stihl tool for the test. When the crank case is under pressure or vacuum hold the main body of the saw down and push down and lift up on the top handle to check for any loss of vacuum or pressure. This will signify an air leak in the intake area. Then pull the engine over a few times with the recoil or by spinning the crank by hand to verify the crank seals are not leaking.

The MS200Ts has been around for quite a while and have earned a little TLC thrown their way. They have proven to be one of the best purpose built saws ever. Treat them right and they'll last a long time and make you a lot of money.

As with anything the failed part is just the tip of the iceberg. A cylinder just doesn't score on its own and replacing it will usually result in a same outcome. You must do a root cause analysis to determine what allowed the failure to occur. This may end up being one or multiple things all contributing to the failure.

Happy New Year,
MP5N

View attachment 475155 View attachment 475156 Actually it seems there are flat spots in two locations opposite each other.

the top one doesn't look like it could be an issue.
the bottom one has me thinking. do you have another stihl hose clamp to put around the intake boot to locate the "leak" more specifically. gonna be hard to chase with the plastic cap on. looking at the ones I have here, yours looks like a casting issue on the cyl BUT the boot SHOULD cover over that flaw and seal with a tensioned "Cap".
mine are actually fairly "loose" even with the cap on.

This is my test setup without the boot. Piston was at bdc to start. I rotated the cranks couple times. Readings are after a few minutes image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I will get photos of test put together but that will be later.

I have not checked AV mounts yet, but will.
Impulse line is new and I have tested it also.

Just remember to apply a little Vaseline to the inside of the retainer plate to allow it to slip over the boot easily.
MP5N
Why Vaseline instead of grease? Any particular reason?

From the picture your 2 AV mounts look OK. Check the 3rd ( the one mounted to the tank) and give them a tug to make sure they aren't torn.

Check to make sure the 4 screws holding the muffler together are tight. They have a way of loosening over time.

This is my test setup without the boot. Piston was at bdc to start. I rotated the cranks couple times. Readings are after a few minutes View attachment 475201 View attachment 475207 View attachment 475208

I would use a thinner "rubber" and a hose clamp from a smaller stihl, not an automotive style clamp. IMO.
and I would use the actual boot and shove a rubber cork with cellophane and Vaseline around it again.
we seem sure its coming from the boot area so lets focus there. (Its usually the seals on these bad boys )
as Wolfey will tell you, they are really little fun.

Ill probably do something like that before I get it all assembled. As for testing it without the boot, I haven't done that before this saw and just used what I had lying around. That is inner tube rubber so it is fairly thin

The AV mounts on top are good. The one on the tank will probably get replaced. It looks like the rubber is starting to tear where it connects to the tank.

Ok. So I got a new intake boot. When I put just the intake boot on, it did not seal 100%. The leak was really slow though. Next I added some Teflon tape as recommended and tried the boot again. I got a good solid seal.
Next I checked to see if it would loose any pressure when lifting up and pushing down on the handle. It held here as well.

So hopefully I've got my problem licked.

Thanks for all the input and insight.

Ok. So I got a new intake boot. When I put just the intake boot on, it did not seal 100%. The leak was really slow though. Next I added some Teflon tape as recommended and tried the boot again. I got a good solid seal.
Next I checked to see if it would loose any pressure when lifting up and pushing down on the handle. It held here as well.

So hopefully I've got my problem licked.

Thanks for all the input and insight.
:cheers:

The Stihl boots are expensive, but the only option as far as I'm concerned. I bought a few of the aftermarket ones to evaluate recently and don't like them at all. The accordion section is solid which won't allow for any movement with the top handle. With the cold weather they get hard as a rock and I'm not taking a chance with them pulling away from the cylinder and causing an air leak.

Back