MS200T Power Loss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto Vita

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My ten year old MS200T starts, idles, accelerates and revs to 14,000 rpm, but bogs down in a heavy cut. I've been using the saw almost daily recently and it seemed to happen overnight. When I noticed it I cleaned the air filter and put on a fresh chain, that didn't help. I read here about problems with accelerator pumps, so I pulled the carb off and I don't have one, it's a Zama S61A. I went through the carb anyway and everything looked OK. I don't run ethanol diluted gas and have always used high quality synthetic oil. I removed the spark screen when I got the saw but I pulled the baffle out and ran it that way, it did get more responsive but still bogs down in a heavy cut.
No one but me has ever run this saw, it doesn't have a ton of hours on it but it does get used hard periodically. It's always impressed me until now, it will cut limbs fine but doesn't have the torque to cut 12" soft wood logs like it used to.
Does anyone have any specific advice for me before I tear into it?

My ten year old MS200T starts, idles, accelerates and revs to 14,000 rpm, but bogs down in a heavy cut. I've been using the saw almost daily recently and it seemed to happen overnight. When I noticed it I cleaned the air filter and put on a fresh chain, that didn't help. I read here about problems with accelerator pumps, so I pulled the carb off and I don't have one, it's a Zama S61A. I went through the carb anyway and everything looked OK. I don't run ethanol diluted gas and have always used high quality synthetic oil. I removed the spark screen when I got the saw but I pulled the baffle out and ran it that way, it did get more responsive but still bogs down in a heavy cut.
No one but me has ever run this saw, it doesn't have a ton of hours on it but it does get used hard periodically. It's always impressed me until now, it will cut limbs fine but doesn't have the torque to cut 12" soft wood logs like it used to.
Need to check the compression first. It could be low compression. Carbs do cause lots of trouble on those especially if its ten years old. Maybe try deleting the accelerator pump. You tried fresh gas right? BTW The carb without the pump is a C1Q S32. You can buy an aftermarket carb from Definitive Dave it would not have the accelerator pump and a third of the cost of OEM.

The carb is marked S61A, I swear it has no provision for an accelerator pump, I'll order a kit for it. I've been using the saw daily so fuel is fresh. I'll check compression too.

The carb is marked S61A, I swear it has no provision for an accelerator pump, I'll order a kit for it. I've been using the saw daily so fuel is fresh. I'll check compression too.
No need to order that yet. We can tell if it has the pump. Does it have the plate on it like this one that the arrow is pointing to?IMG_0057.JPG

Does it do this on the first cut or does it take a minute to happen?

Do think it could be the nose sprocket?
Not too likely. I was wondering if it did it warm or cold , I would like to see if we can eliminate the coil as the problem. On those saws its usually a bad carb , vac leak , then bad compression and in that order. Still waiting for the compression numbers to get posted.

Not too likely. I was wondering if it did it warm or cold , I would like to see if we can eliminate the coil as the problem. On those saws its usually a bad carb , vac leak , then bad compression and in that order. Still waiting for the compression numbers to get posted.
My memory is bad but seems like I had one acting similar with a bad bar.

Latest posts

Back