MS211 Owners Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Cattleman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new small farm saw for brush & trees under 10". The Stihl ms211 looks like it could be the right saw for the job with a 12" or 14" bar. I have noticed most people on Arboristsite likes the 211, however it seems the oil line leaks on some of the saws.
My questions are:
1- Would you buy the ms211 again, if not what would you replace it with?
2- Does the oil line leak on your 211?

Last edited:
My Deuce Eleven is brand new. I've cut nearly 10 Oaks and Elm up to 15" diameter. The area on my farm is steep sloped, and carrying a saw up and down the hill can be burdensome. This is the lightest of my 34 and 36cc saws. It weighs a mere 12.5 lbs. fully gas'd and oiled with a 16" bar, which, by the way, is now standard for the new saws. I've had to set it down at times, and it just purrs like a kitten. I really like it so far.
small-saws-only-picture205106.jpg

I got mine in like new shape for $160. For that amount of money, it's worth it.

For the $320 that dealers want, you might as well spent another $100 or so and get a 346.

The 211 is certainly lighter than the 346 but in hardwood over 8 or 10 inches it starts to get a workout and really slow down.

I think its overpriced for what it is.

For the $320 that dealers want, you might as well spent another $100 or so and get a 346.

The 211 is certainly lighter than the 346 but in hardwood over 8 or 10 inches it starts to get a workout and really slow down.

I've got videos of mine felling a good sized red oak. It not only looked good in the cut, it did a superb job for such a small saw.

I am in the market for a new small farm saw for brush & trees under 10". The Stihl ms211 looks like it could be the right saw for the job with a 12" or 14" bar. I have noticed most people on Arboristsite likes the 211, however it seems the oil line leaks on some of the saws.
My questions are:
1- Would you buy the ms211 again, if not what would you replace it with?
2- Does the oil line leak on your 211?

We've sold dozens of MS211's and haven't run into leaking oil lines on any of them.
Only problems I've run into are people running over them with tractors, 4 of those so far
and 2 guys managing to screw up the choke lever setup.

I owned a 211, and sold it just because I needed the money but I'd buy one again, I ran a 14" bar.
A 12" bar is kind of useless on a chainsaw.

I've got videos of mine felling a good sized red oak. It not only looked good in the cut, it did a superb job for such a small saw.

I agree that it's an impressive little saw. I'd probably buy it over a comparable husky. I'm just saying that for the price I think there are more logical purchasing decisions. $300+ is a lot of money for a 35cc saw.

279$ sitting on the self at the shop. 320$ is for the CB-E easy start, quick adjust variation.

279$ sitting on the self at the shop. 320$ is for the CB-E easy start, quick adjust variation.

Yep; Mine never made it to the shelf. They pulled it out of it's shipping pack of two. Put a Rim drive sprocket on it for me too, at $279 out the door.

Bought a new one off ebay for $150, gave it to my father. He hasn't had any problems with it. I have used it a few times and it is a great little saw. I wouldn't hesitate in buying one if that is what you are looking for. However, the new dealer price is a bit expensive. I would only do it again in the buck fifty range.

work has one and it it less hassle than its bigger cousins

It starts easy, I mostly do pruning of fruit trees with this saw

Mine has been fantastic. It is my most used saw. No oil leaks.
I believe that the main ingredient to success on a smaller saw is to keep the chain razor sharp. No small saw has the ability to be "dogged in" to make a dull chain cut.
I have cut a lot with this saw. 25+ oak trees in the 10-14" range. Larger than that and I go to a larger saw.

Thinking pretty seriously about pulling the trigger on a ms211 after reading the good comments about this saw.

I love my MS211. It's a great little saw -- plenty of power for it's size, lightweight, smooth. I really like the picco bar/chain on that saw. I would definitely buy it again. And yes, it has a tendency to leak bar oil. It didn't leak when it was new, but it started not too long after that. It's not lines. I'm pretty sure the oil comes from the normal passage feeding the bar (I haven't gone looking in any detail). Of course, some leaks off the bar/chain and clutch cover when you stop running too. It leaks just enough to be slightly annoying -- it's not like it dumps the whole tank (like a certain other saw I own). My MS250 leaks as much or more oil. It's not a reason to not buy the saw. Just don't leave it sitting on some surface that can't handle any oil.

I bought a used one off ebay for $140 and got it Dec 15, I havent put it in wood yet so I cant comment on the performance but did fill the gas and oil and ran it. It has been hanging from the floor joists in the basement since. I just looked in the oil tank and it has leaked over half the tank. I have to keep absorbant under the saw. It is leaking from the hose area not the bar oil passage.

I love my 211, I bought it for maintaining ATV trails,it's light and easy to carry on the ATV.Good power and very smooth.
Much better saw than the 45cc Johnsered I had before.Mine has a 16 inch bar.

have a MS211 with 14" b/c...good small saw...has good torque for small size...though I haven't run everything

I'd buy one again

mine leaks oil...around the hose

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back