MS241 C-M, B&C options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen more .325 setups with .063 gauge chain. That is what I prefer but it doesn’t really matter. Just make sure your bar and chains gauge matches

The 241 already comes with a rim sprocket so only need to change the rim so won't need the whole clutch drum. Only up charge might be for changing the bar from 3005 Picco to the 3003 .325.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Did they change and start putting rims on the 241 from factory? I've owned a few 241 (four of em, fifth is in route now) even bought one brand new when they first came out. They have all had a 6 tooth spur on them.

-----------

To the O.P. that rim kit you showed is for a 025/250

Correct number for the 3/8 picco rim kit for a 241 is; 1143 007 1002,

.325 rim kit for 241 is; 1143 007 1003

I've ran 241's with both .325 and 3/8 picco..... yes picco may cut faster, but .325 will hold a edge longer.

Some may not like it, but I liked my 241 better with .325....YMMV

The 241 already comes with a rim sprocket so only need to change the rim so won't need the whole clutch drum. Only up charge might be for changing the bar from 3005 Picco to the 3003 .325.

No, it's still going to be a 3005 bar, can't put a 3003 bar on a 241.

3005 bars come in either 3/8 picco or .325 .063 gauge...

There is no other chain to run on that saw that 63PS! It's a full chisel nk 3\8 chain.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
What he said.
>20": .325 (for chip clearance mainly), unless you want to tweak and experiment trying to get the most from PS
>18": .325 if mainly dirty otherwise PS
>16": .325 only if dirty, cruddy crap most often, otherwise PS

Did they change and start putting rims on the 241 from factory? I've owned a few 241 (four of em, fifth is in route now) even bought one brand new when they first came out. They have all had a 6 tooth spur on them.

-----------

I've ran 241's with both .325 and 3/8 picco..... yes picco may cut faster, but .325 will hold a edge longer.

The edge retention has a lot to do with the depth gauges being a bit too low from the factory, and a somewhat aggressive grind. After the first sharpening durability is much improved, at least it was for me.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I'd run a 16" 3/8 Picco bar and chain. Picco is AKA lo pro or low profile.

Also, you should know that Bailey's is not a Stihl dealer. If you order stihl parts from them, they go to the dealer, buy the parts for the same price you could have bought them for, then add their percentage and shipping and send them off. Much cheaper to buy from your local dealer, though it does sometimes pay to shop around. I needed the needle bearing update kit for my 036. Two dealers wanted 45, one place wanted shipping on top of that. Third place said $28.99.

-----------

Thank you for your info. But yes I was told it's coming with a rim drive. It's a 7t rim. This guy said the same thing https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms241c-14-picco-and-rim.301717/ .

Ill stick with then 3/8 Picco if it's faster. Sharpening is no big deal. I was under the impression .325 cut faster due to closer and more cutters. I'll make them throw in the PS chain. 16 or 18 fellas?

RS, is this it? #3623 https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rs/

Or is it the Picco PS3 with the safety links? https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/ps3/

Then there is this one
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...in-Loop-63PS-55-Drive-Links-3617-005-0055.axd

I'd run a 16" 3/8 Picco bar and chain. Picco is AKA lo pro or low profile.

Also, you should know that Bailey's is not a Stihl dealer. If you order stihl parts from them, they go to the dealer, buy the parts for the same price you could have bought them for, then add their percentage and shipping and send them off. Much cheaper to buy from your local dealer, though it does sometimes pay to shop around. I needed the needle bearing update kit for my 036. Two dealers wanted 45, one place wanted shipping on top of that. Third place said $28.99.

We got the needle bearings for the MS360 in a tune kit on ebay. https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Air-Filt...228951?hash=item43e506ad97:g:Cw8AAOSw~bFWNkRE

Thanks, and nice try, but old 036s had a smaller (13mm?) OD needle bearing that needs to be updated to a 16mm OD bearing. It was a failure point for that model. BUT, you don't just need the bearing, you need a new clutch drum because the old one won't fit over a the new bearing. And, you need a new sprocket because the new drum has larger splines. So, the kit from Stihl is the way to go.

Also, just me, but I prefer OEM stuff for fuel and oil lines. Aftermarket stuff doesn't have the quality and I don't want to replace that stuff every year when it fails.

running the 3/8 picco on mine which is what it came with. 16" bar. my opinion is that running anything bigger/longer will detract from this saw. i run the the non-safety (yellow) chain on mine.
s-l640.jpg

Thanks, and nice try, but old 036s had a smaller (13mm?) OD needle bearing that needs to be updated to a 16mm OD bearing. It was a failure point for that model. BUT, you don't just need the bearing, you need a new clutch drum because the old one won't fit over a the new bearing. And, you need a new sprocket because the new drum has larger splines. So, the kit from Stihl is the way to go.

Also, just me, but I prefer OEM stuff for fuel and oil lines. Aftermarket stuff doesn't have the quality and I don't want to replace that stuff every year when it fails.

Those parts saved the 360.

running the 3/8 picco on mine which is what it came with. 16" bar. my opinion is that running anything bigger/longer will detract for this saw. i run the the non-safety (yellow) chain on mine.
s-l640.jpg

Thank you Steve. I'm telling them to put that chain on it. If they don't I'll tell them I'll buy it somewhere else.

I bought 4-241s and every one came with a spur.

I think this is what I need.

View attachment 627782

A 241 doesn't handle 325x8 very well at all, I've tried all this stuff with 241s a bunch of times...it does good with 7 pin on 325. But once the cut gets close to the length of the bar your using you get reminded it's only 42cc.

I like 62 drivers (18") of PS on mine stock or ported.

But 325x7 will work.

Thank you Steve. I'm telling them to put that chain on it. If they don't I'll tell them I'll buy it somewhere else.
i checked when i went to my shop earlier to throw wood on the fire and my price was $19.49 per chain. my dealer does buy 2 get 1 free. i usually walk out with 3 chains for around $40 and change with tax.

They don't come with that chain. You might be shopping for a dealer for a while.

As already said, don't ruin that saw with .325.

This is going to sound harsh, but you just need to buy a saw and run it. You're WAY over complicating everything.

They don't come with that chain. You might be shopping for a dealer for a while.

As already said, don't ruin that saw with .325.

This is going to sound harsh, but you just need to buy a saw and run it. You're WAY over complicating everything.
yes that is correct Brad.. off the shelf mine had the same chain only in the green safety chain which my dealer swapped to the yellow chain at my request. sorry to confuse anyone.

Back