MS241 C-M, B&C options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason it comes with a spur drive is because you can't get a 6-pin rim. On a stock saw, I would not go to a 7-pin. Also, there's nothing wrong with PS3, vs PS. It's fantastic chain.

You will at a minimum want to mod your muffler ASAP. That as well as 6-8* of timing advance make a BIG difference in how the saw runs.

251 Wood Boss
45.6cc - 2.95 hp - 16"-18" bars

241 C-M
42.6cc - 3.1 hp - 12"-16" bars

201 C-EM
35.2cc - 2.41HP - 12"-16" bars

Someone explain this logic to me lol

I'm not gonna call it "logic", but here's my take on Stihl's thinking. The typical buyer of a 251 is an occasional user. They want to be told that their saw can handle an 18" bar. Also, for occasional use, a buried 18" bar on a 251 will do just fine for them. The buyer of a 241, however is likely to be a professional. They want to have a higher HP to driver link ratio. Also, Stihl probably wants to push people into 261s, since they get more money that way. Putting those recommendations on the 241 makes it more likely a pro will spend more money on a bigger saw OR end up with a dope little saw that is fun to use with a short bar and puts a smile on their face.

Seriously though, don't think about the logic too much. For example, why does Stihl insist that if you want to run .325 chain in their saws, it should be .063, while they're happy to sell you a 36" 3/8 bar in .050?

The reason it comes with a spur drive is because you can't get a 6-pin rim. On a stock saw, I would not go to a 7-pin. Also, there's nothing wrong with PS3, vs PS. It's fantastic chain.

You will at a minimum want to mod your muffler ASAP. That as well as 6-8* of timing advance make a BIG difference in how the saw runs.

My stock one pulls the P7 just fine on a 16" bar.

I'm not gonna call it "logic", but here's my take on Stihl's thinking. The typical buyer of a 251 is an occasional user. They want to be told that their saw can handle an 18" bar. Also, for occasional use, a buried 18" bar on a 251 will do just fine for them. The buyer of a 241, however is likely to be a professional. They want to have a higher HP to driver link ratio. Also, Stihl probably wants to push people into 261s, since they get more money that way. Putting those recommendations on the 241 makes it more likely a pro will spend more money on a bigger saw OR end up with a dope little saw that is fun to use with a short bar and puts a smile on their face.

Seriously though, don't think about the logic too much. For example, why does Stihl insist that if you want to run .325 chain in their saws, it should be .063, while they're happy to sell you a 36" 3/8 bar in .050?

That makes a lot of sense. I'm getting the 241 because I'm working the poop out of the 180 with limbing and cutting firewood. Sometimes I think it's over heating. Lol

Can't you just run Oregon parts and use a 0.050 .325" setup?

Chain
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/PowerCut™-Saw-Chain,-16"/p/20LPX062G

Bar
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...nks-160SLBA074.axd?PartFinderType=BarSelector

Rim Sprocket
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...-Sprocket-MS7-Mini-7-Spline-325-x-7-Tooth.axd

Rim Drive
http://www.baileysonline.com/Parts/...ihl/Rims-Drums/STIHL-RIM-SPROCKET-MS241CM.axd

Rather expensive way to go lol

Yeah, it's not that there isn't any way around it, I was just trying to point out that logic isn't always what drives a business to do something a certain way. I'm sure Stihl has a fine and dandy reason for the .063 drivers on .325 chain, but to me it just seems bass ackwards, as my geometry teacher would say.

I've swapped all the 250s I've had over to the picco rim drive too..they definitely cut a little quicker and limb nicer.

I'll have to fix up an old 025 and try it as well.
Thanks
i run the picco on the 023,250 and the 241. all the same size so less different chains to buy. ran a 250 with the .325 on it and it seemed like a turd. even the owner of that saw said he couldn't believe the difference.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
No, it's still going to be a 3005 bar, can't put a 3003 bar on a 241.

3005 bars come in either 3/8 picco or .325 .063 gauge...

I got a 241c here with a drum that says 1143/00 A PICCO Z6. The PO had a 16” 3005 mount .325 bar on it but had no chain. He threw a bunch of 325 chains in but none of them work with this 6 tooth Picco spur. Is it because it’s a 375? These 325 chains definitely do not line up right

View attachment 796725 View attachment 796726 View attachment 796727

I got a 241c here with a drum that says 1143/00 A PICCO Z6. The PO had a 16” 3005 mount .325 bar on it but had no chain. He threw a bunch of 325 chains in but none of them work with this 6 tooth Picco spur. Is it because it’s a 375? These 325 chains definitely do not line up right
Picco is 3/8" pitch, but it's not like the full size 3/8". Picco is the 1/4" chain with links a little longer.

I believe I have a .325 Spur sprocket I can sell you. I went through all the options for my 241, but there is no reason to keep a 241 with the stock 6 tooth spur, no matter how much the great ones around here say so. Mine has been running a 7 pin rim since new, and that was two years ago. MS180's come with 6 tooth spurs and 16" bars, no need for a 241 to run that.

I'll go look for that .325 spur.

I just picked up a very lightly used 241 a few months back and now have 5 tanks of gas through it cutting nothing but white oak and red oak. It came setup with the 18” 3005 000 4817 bar and 61DL of 63PS chain and the 6-tooth spur. I have not modded yet, as it is still getting stronger each tank and I’m enjoying that.

I can tell you that with the bar buried in >20” oak logs I cannot get this setup to bog unless I lean pretty hard on it. The 63PS chain feeds so well and clears chips well (less cutters) and it is really impressive in bigger hardwoods. I think a 7T setup would hurt in this regard. But also, the oiler: with the 6T spur and bar buried in hardwoods, the chain is barely getting enough oil. So I would be hesitant to go up sprocket size just for that reason.

I primarily picked this saw up as a limbing saw but have found myself cutting bigger logs with it because of the light weight. This little thing is so darn fuel efficient. I have never seen a saw cut so much wood with so little fuel. Sure it’s not the fastest, but I think this saw could give any other a run for its money in # of cuts per gallon of gas used. Perhaps with a short bar and for limbing use you could get away with a larger sprocket, but I’m really happy with my setup. Now, if Stihl only made a 3005 000 7417 E-light bar....

I just picked up a very lightly used 241 a few months back and now have 5 tanks of gas through it cutting nothing but white oak and red oak. It came setup with the 18” 3005 000 4817 bar and 61DL of 63PS chain and the 6-tooth spur. I have not modded yet, as it is still getting stronger each tank and I’m enjoying that.

I can tell you that with the bar buried in >20” oak logs I cannot get this setup to bog unless I lean pretty hard on it. The 63PS chain feeds so well and clears chips well (less cutters) and it is really impressive in bigger hardwoods. I think a 7T setup would hurt in this regard. But also, the oiler: with the 6T spur and bar buried in hardwoods, the chain is barely getting enough oil. So I would be hesitant to go up sprocket size just for that reason.

I primarily picked this saw up as a limbing saw but have found myself cutting bigger logs with it because of the light weight. This little thing is so darn fuel efficient. I have never seen a saw cut so much wood with so little fuel. Sure it’s not the fastest, but I think this saw could give any other a run for its money in # of cuts per gallon of gas used. Perhaps with a short bar and for limbing use you could get away with a larger sprocket, but I’m really happy with my setup. Now, if Stihl only made a 3005 000 7417 E-light bar....
Last week we cut 6 Locust trees with a 241 C they averaged 18 inches or more in diam and the saw was at home doing this.

I've run my 241 with every bar and chain combination (within reason). It cuts at its best with a 7T Rim .325 on a 16". I've run a 7T even on the 3/8 since day one. It does just fine with the 18" bar and the 7T.

I also tested it with the Oregon Nano bar and chain (325/043). They include a 7T spur with the kit, but I ran it with a 8T Rim, and that was super fast cutting. I didn't get to run it that way long, as I had to send it all back to Oregon, and my field test was actually on a 180.

But don't fear converting to Rims and running the 7T.

I've run my 241 with every bar and chain combination (within reason). It cuts at its best with a 7T Rim .325 on a 16". I've run a 7T even on the 3/8 since day one. It does just fine with the 18" bar and the 7T.

I also tested it with the Oregon Nano bar and chain (325/043). They include a 7T spur with the kit, but I ran it with a 8T Rim, and that was super fast cutting. I didn't get to run it that way long, as I had to send it all back to Oregon, and my field test was actually on a 180.

But don't fear converting to Rims and running the 7T.
I have a 7 on a 16 bar and its great.

Back