Ms250 16” to 18”.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do I need to do swap my 16” to an 18”. I have a new .063”/1.6mm .325 -74 bar and blade.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to AS Tom. It depends on what size chain (not blade) is on your saw now. If it is .325 you should have no problems going to 18". FWIW I was never impressed running 18" on my 250. Pics of the old bar will help.

Welcome to AS Tom. It depends on what size chain (not blade) is on your saw now. If it is .325 you should have no problems going to 18". FWIW I was never impressed running 18" on my 250. Pics of the old bar will help.
47 and 50 are new bar and blade
46 and 52 are whats on the saw now.

Hope that helps.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG-2550.jpg
    IMG-2550.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-2552.jpg
    IMG-2552.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-2546.jpg
    IMG-2546.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-2547.jpg
    IMG-2547.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
That LP sounds appealing to me.If I didn't have 4 or 5 chains in inventory,I'd make the swap to try it.I have an 18" .325 which came on the saw and it has worked well.I don't have it buried in dry oak often, if at all. I might real down later and try it anyway.Should make a good saw better.

The new 18" Oregon bar I have didn't fit the tension adjuster pin correctly. I punched a couple of holes in it to make it work... When I put the chain on it doesn't roll smoothly on the sprocket, it binds slightly. Can I replace the chain to fit my sprocket or do I need to replace the sprocket?

The new 18" Oregon bar I have didn't fit the tension adjuster pin correctly. I punched a couple of holes in it to make it work... When I put the chain on it doesn't roll smoothly on the sprocket, it binds slightly. Can I replace the chain to fit my sprocket or do I need to replace the sprocket?
Sprocket's right for both chains, or bar's at least, is the drum running smooth by hand without chain on? Was chain on the right way?

Welcome to A.S.!

Your 'new' guide bar is not compatible with your MS250.

STIHL makes 3 or 4 different mounts for guide bars. Your saw uses the 'small mount' bar (BA074). Your new one is a 'large mount' bar (D025). Easiest thing is to keep the current bar.

I would stick with the .325 / .063 chain on that saw. We ran a lot of them with 16" bars and they really held up well.

Philbert

Attachments

• Oregon bar mount patterns.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Oregon Chain Bar Ref.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to A.S.!

Your 'new' guide bar is not compatible with your MS250.

STIHL makes 3 or 4 different mounts for guide bars. Your saw uses the 'small mount' bar (BA074). Your new one is a 'large mount' bar (D025). Easiest thing is to keep the current bar.

I would stick with the .325 / .063 chain on that saw. We ran a lot of them with 16" bars and they really held up well.

Philbert
Thank you very much to all of you for helping me.
Health and happiness to you.
Tom

What do I need to do swap my 16” to an 18”. I have a new .063”/1.6mm .325 -74 bar and blade.

Thanks in advance.

A 74 driver bar in .325 is for the 3003 mount and is too large for your ms 250.

You need a 3005 mount bar ( which is made in .325x63 )

If you'd like to run lo-pro 3/8 picco chain you need to swap your spur over or get a picco rim sprocket kit.

Your ms 250 will pull 18" .325 just fine if you open up the muffler and give it a proper tune.

I believe .325x63 chain on the 3005 mount is 68 drivers for an 18" bar.

A 74 driver bar in .325 is for the 3003 mount and is too large for your ms 250.

You need a 3005 mount bar ( which is made in .325x63 )

If you'd like to run lo-pro 3/8 picco chain you need to swap your spur over or get a picco rim sprocket kit.

Your ms 250 will pull 18" .325 just fine if you open up the muffler and give it a proper tune.

I believe .325x63 chain on the 3005 mount is 68 drivers for an 18" bar.
Hey Ryan, thanks for the detailed reply. New bar and blade you suggested are on the saw. I haven’t cut and wood yet. I’ll open up the muffler and retune.
Thanks, Tom

I surmise that you do not have a lot of experience with chainsaws? "blade". There are bars and chains. I would urge not to mod the muffler without more experience.

A stock MS 250 is versatile. It is the only saw I will loan out with canned fuel and a couple spare chains

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

That’s what I have as of yesterday. Works great. Thanks.
I surmise that you do not have a lot of experience with chainsaws? "blade". There are bars and chains. I would urge not to mod the muffler without more experience.

A stock MS 250 is versatile. It is the only saw I will loan out with canned fuel and a couple spare chains

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
New Stihl bar and chain. Works like a champ. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back