MS250 or MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punk5362

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a homeowner and cut about 4 or 5 rick of wood a year. I am going to buy a saw and am wondering if the 261 is worth the extra $200. Local dealer is about to have a sale. MS250 - $290 MS261 - $494. Both have 18 inch bars. Also should I go up to a 20 inch bar. Thank you.

I have both they like 16" bars better in hard wood but pull 18" ok in .325 .63gauge. The ms261(I have an old 026) has better antivibe mounts. But both are nice saws and cut well.

I am a homeowner and cut about 4 or 5 rick of wood a year. I am going to buy a saw and am wondering if the 261 is worth the extra $200. Local dealer is about to have a sale. MS250 - $290 MS261 - $494. Both have 18 inch bars. Also should I go up to a 20 inch bar. Thank you.

If the trees you cut can be handled with an 18 inch bar, there is no reason to get a 20 inch bar. If you need a 20 inch bar the MS250 is too small. If you are only cutting 5 racks a year and the 18 inch bar is big enough get the MS250. There is no reason to spend more money for something 1.5 pounds heavier that you don't need.

I'd hands dowp spend the xtra money on the 261, right at a hp more saw, split case magnesium pro design, better anti vibe, best air filteration on the market, at the amount you cut it will last you a lifetime, the two we use in our wood business have cut more than in prolly twenty years. 250's are good little saws for the buck, will cut all you need, but if you have the xtra cash you will not regret the 261.

Welcome to the Jungle

I have both those saw's plus a couple 026's

It depends on what size trees your going to cut

I switch off between the two saw's last summer cutting Alder up here and both my 250's have 18" B/C

DSC_9346.jpg

001.jpg

Sounds like you don't cut vary much; IMO the 250 would be the ticket for you

Just get a different chain for it (non-safety chain) run it for a while then a MM it will get stronger after the MM

For your USE,I do not believe it is worth the extra. But,since your new here...when CAD kicks in you will wish you bought the 261. I don't even have a use for a chainsaw outside occasional dead tree and I have already had one sent off to Mastermind.

Can you mount a 20" bar on a MS250?. Like others said- it will just slow it down. The 261 can drive it..if you need it.

I used an older Stihl 025 three weeks ago clearing larger 20+ inch tornado stricken hardwoods ALL day long with a 16" bar and chisel tooth. Not as fast as our 441 but was a small work horse.

Judging from the amount of wood you cut per year, the MS 250 will get the work done just fine. It isn't as easy to maintain as the MS 261 though; case in point, it's impossible to remove the cylinder shroud to clean around the fins without basically taking the whole saw apart. On the MS 261, three screws and off it comes.

I've got an MS 210c, the smaller sibling to the MS 250, that has 50-60 hours on it. It gets the job done but doesn't like to be pushed hard. Nothing's gone wrong with it and it cold starts with 4-5 pulls every time. But I have an MS 260 Pro and there's a world of difference in quality.

Final thoughts: if you walked into my local dealer and asked for a recommendation based on your needs, I guarantee that he would set you up with an MS 250, given the choice between the two. Also, a 20" bar on this saw for what you do is not a good choice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Jungle

I have both those saw's plus a couple 026's

It depends on what size trees your going to cut

I switch off between the two saw's last summer cutting Alder up here and both my 250's have 18" B/C

DSC_9346.jpg

001.jpg

Sounds like you don't cut vary much; IMO the 250 would be the ticket for you

Just get a different chain for it (non-safety chain) run it for a while then a MM it will get stronger after the MM

What ia an MM? Will the Stihl dealer have non safety chain? I don't know the difference. Thanks

I agree with most of the others...I would get an MS250 for the amount your cutting per year. My dad has cut 36 ricks per year for 17 years with his 025. Around here they are discounting the 250's to make room for the 251's so they are selling real reasonable so that is also a plus. Don't get me wrong if you have the money buy the MS261, but the 250 will do the job your asking for many years.

If you can swing the $$$$, get the 261, it is a pro model saw that is constructed better for years of continuos use. If you settle for the 250 you will always think; would of, should of, could of!

Steve

ford mustang or VW beatle ?????

I had a 250 and it was a great saw, I got rid of it and bought a 260 PRO, only because I wanted a 260.
The 250 cut a lot of wood, and never gave me one ounce of trouble.
Both are great saws, not fair to compare a homeowner saw against a PRO saw.
If your cutting this small amount of wood for your own use the 250 will work great and save you a few bucks.

With the amount you are cutting, you'll never wear out either one, or notice the slight power difference.

The 250 is a sleeper favorite of mine. I sincerely doubt you will succeed in killing one with honest use, where thousands of half sober backwoods loons have failed, despite taking great efforts to that end.;)

Save the $$$ and invent in chaps. If you get the CAD, the used pro saws will start piling up in the Garage anyhow.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

have a250c(1st editon) &a ms 290 luv em both,but the gito saw is the 250.check the weight between your two options.have sawed with the 250 for several years (100 plus cords) with no problems. make sure you have a reliable dealer that knows what he is doing. and yes get some chaps. saw safe. FS:chainsaw:

Not knowing how much wood a rick is, I don't know there. But I just bought a MS 250 easy start. For what I've done with it, it is a cutting little bugger. It is really a spinner compared to my 034, but is will cut. I'm going to take it back to the dealers shop for a look see/adjustments, but I am impressed with the saw. I like it cuz it's lighter than the 34 and just buzzes through the limbs and smaller trees. I like it. But I don't care for the ES. I could do without that part.

Latest posts

Back