ms260 has more power than 346xpne... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soemthing doesn't sound right with your 346. i have the same two exact saws as you and they were both MM. the 346 was significantly stronger and zippier (is that a word?).

adj. zip·pi·er, zip·pi·est
346 is Full of energy; lively.

Zippier is the new word of the day, thanks.:rotfl:

After reading all the hype on this sight I purchased a new 346 non cat this year. Initially I was disappointed in its performance against my 026 that I muffler modded. It has gotten somewhat better now after 6 tanks but it still does not have the torque of the Stihl. It does handle much better when limbing though. Thats what its made for. It seems with the Stihl you can push in the wood and with the Husky you have to feed it. My 044 and 372XP behave just like their smaller brothers. They require different techniques. At first, I did not know this, but after learning both are just as fast.

Mod the muffler on the 346 and test again.

I'll have to do that. I bought a myffler from Baileys before I found out it was a non cat. I'll use that for modding. The saw limbs great and goes through 3' to 4" limbs like moving your hand through the air but it sure doesn't buck small firewood anywhere near as well as the 026.

After reading all the hype on this sight I purchased a new 346 non cat this year. Initially I was disappointed in its performance against my 026 that I muffler modded. It has gotten somewhat better now after 6 tanks but it still does not have the torque of the Stihl. It does handle much better when limbing though. Thats what its made for. It seems with the Stihl you can push in the wood and with the Husky you have to feed it. My 044 and 372XP behave just like their smaller brothers. They require different techniques. At first, I did not know this, but after learning both are just as fast.

doesn`t feeding seem less effort than pushing ?

I'll have to do that. I bought a myffler from Baileys before I found out it was a non cat. I'll use that for modding. The saw limbs great and goes through 3' to 4" limbs like moving your hand through the air but it sure doesn't buck small firewood anywhere near as well as the 026.

How about some vids, both muff modded with the same chain in 15" wood. Steve

Yeah, MM that saw. My old 346 (45cc) with MM will out cut my new 346 (50cc) that's stock. I only have 5-6 tanks through the new one and I'm not that impressed, but the old one is an animal.:D It does seem to get better with each couple tanks. I'll MM mine soon.

P.S. I cut mostly 10-20" Oak with both my 346s'. Over 20" and the 357 comes out :)

Last edited:
You need to keep the RPM's at near where the peak HP is, most are around 9500 rpm. If your just letting it cut it might be turning 10000 or 11000 rpm and not cutiing near as fast as if running at 9500. Your chain will decide if it needs to be pushed or not. Most every vid on here the saw cuts faster when it's pushed a little vs letting it rev. Steve

You need to keep the RPM's at near where the peak HP is, most are around 9500 rpm. If your just letting it cut it might be turning 10000 or 11000 rpm and not cutiing near as fast as if running at 9500. Your chain will decide if it needs to be pushed or not. Most every vid on here the saw cuts faster when it's pushed a little vs letting it rev. Steve

I agree 100% that it will cut a little faster if you push a little but you're not always "racing" are you? Also, I think you may be confusing peak horsepower with peak torque...

I've owned both the 260pro and now the 346xp. For two saws in the same class(cc's) the xp just dominates the 260 in every category except for weight and that's minimal when comparing saws that are both very light. For the firewood cutting that I do, the 346 is much more productive.

Last edited:
I agree 100% that it will cut a little faster if you push a little but you're not always "racing" are you? Also, I think you may be confusing peak horsepower with peak torque...

No, peak torque on the kwf test is at 6800 rpm on the 260 and 7000 rpm on the 346xp. Certainally not racing but run my saws to cut as fast as they will, I don't even want to around people that let them scream. Steve

No, peak torque on the kwf test is at 6800 rpm on the 260 and 7000 rpm on the 346xp. Certainally not racing but run my saws to cut as fast as they will, I don't even want to around people that let them scream. Steve

wow, that low? I'm surprised. I always figured peak hp was at it's free spinning rpm and torque was at about the 10k mark. Boy was I wrong...

I've only had a tach on my old 346 once. It was running at 14,200 rpm WOT and 9400 in the cut, with enough pressure for fastest cutting.

Does one have an NK chain and the other not? Sometimes NK can cut a bit faster.

My 346 is stock and the 026 is MM both are using 18" .325 bars with RSC chain. I had a buddy try as well since he wanted to see if it was me but he found the same thing. And he was rooting for the Husky. He's found the same with My 044 and 372 as well. Both of those were using 20" .050 bars with RSC as well. I used new chain on all saws when testing. Maybe its my saws, but the Stihls can be pushed.

i think my 026 does just fine against 346xp saws and you sure wont see me going out and getting one.

i own both an 026 and a 346NE, i also have two 346's OE, one of which will be getting a new piston tomorrow (the other will be getting an OEM NE P/C). i have ported 346's and only MM 346NE, the 346 will absolutely leave an 026MM in the chips. i am interested to see how the OE does with a MM.

i think my 026 does just fine against 346xp saws and you sure wont see me going out and getting one.

Agree, I just sold a 026, with a muffler mod, squish dropped a little and other wise stock. I didn't know it until after I sold the saw but the guy who bought it works somewhere that has a dyno! I got a message back , he said he buys all the nos stihls he can find and any nice stock saws. Anyway he was way happy with the 026, said it pulled 176 pds compression, had a nice 4 stroke at 14200 and the most impressive was it pulled 3.7 hp on the dyno! So people can knock the old 026 all they want, I'm a believer in them!

I would like to see a chainsaw dyno. I think it would be pretty fun to have a dyno day there like there is for trucks and other vehicles.

Latest posts

Back