MS260 Pro - 20" 3/8 b/c to much ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We are planning on getting my FIL a saw for xmas, he is having shoulder surgery early Dec. and we don't want him lugging around his 660 and 361 (24" 3/8 b/c). We decided on the MS260 PRO and the dealer will let me upgrade the bar and chain to whatever I want.... My FIL loves the 3/8 chains, so the setup we are thinking about would be a Stihl 20" ES bar with a Stihl 3/8 (.375) chain. He tends to use the longer bars to keep from bending down as much, he won't be burying it trying to fall trees, just limbing around the farm for firewood.

Does that setup sound reasonable, if we switch the the 7-pin 3/8 sprocket? Or should I not go longer than the 18" bar? Interested in what other 260 users think. And do all new MS260s have the non adjustable H side carb?

ps I searched here before posting and read for an hour or so on 260 3/8.. Lots of great info and we might consider the muffler mod if the carb is adjustable, or we might pickup a new adjustable carb also. He already has a tach for tuning.

Last edited:
Since it's the only one with a 20" bar keep the .325 chain.
It'll cut a lot better.3.8's would be too much.
I ran an 028 with that setup for a few years and liked it a lot.
Great for limbing and small stuff(under 12").

A 20" 3/8 will be fine for limbs, a 16" is the best though. The 20" won't like any cuts where the whole bar is buried. Check out the 261 if that is needed.

My saw came set up with a 3/8 and 20 inch bar. I didn' t like it too well, but it was ok. I haven't put the 20 inch back on since modding the muffler, but I think it would be better. I just didn't like the balance with the 20 as it seemed to be front heavy. This year I'm going to give it a go again and see what I think.

... he he, you guys aren't helping me with my thinking the 20" 3/8 is what he would want :)

Welcome more comments....

get him the new 261, it should have alot more torque and be able to handle the 20" bar with 3/8 chain very well.

if you are set on the 260 i think it will do ok with the 20" bar but the 3/8 chain may slow it down just a bit.

Last edited:
... he he, you guys aren't helping me with my thinking the 20" 3/8 is what he would want :)

Welcome more comments....

The 260 just isn't a good saw for a 20", not stock anyway. A ported one will handle 20" all day long. Personally, I'd stick to the 361 or get a 261.

get him the new 261, it should have alot more torque and be able to handle the 20" bar with 3/8 chain very well.

if you are set on the 260 i think it will do ok with the 20" bar but the 3/8 chain may slow it down just a bit.

Anyone know when the 261 saw will hit the street? We are looking to buy for Christmas. I saw blsnelling's post, and did I read where it is being sold as a .325 only saw, see below sticker on pic, kind of odd? Not sure how they could prevent someone changing the sprocket, bar and chain.

Or I could port the muffler on the 260, or find one to buy, if the carb is adjustable? Might go and look at one tomorrow and ask when the 261 will be in... (I bet they ain't had that question)

1079365335_rcjmf-M.jpg

Last edited:
The 260 just isn't a good saw for a 20", not stock anyway. A ported one will handle 20" all day long. Personally, I'd stick to the 361 or get a 261.

For 20" and 3/8" on an ES - the 361 is the right "medicine" among those saws - even the balance will be waaay off to the front with the smaller ones (actually a bit off with the 361 as well)......:givebeer:

yeah you can swap in a 3/8 sproket, b/c.

i'll bet a muffler modded 026 that has an adjustable carb might pull a 20" well enough for him. try that for x-mas and if he's not happy then get him the 261 later?

My MS260 PRO has a 18" bar on it and even stock it pulled it just fine... It is a .325 though. I think a 20" bar would be fine, it might not be a rocket ship like the 261 but it should pull it just fine. That's my $.02...

Sure it will "pull" it (stupid expression), but it will balance so badly that a larger and heavier saw is a better choise.

I prefere a 70cc saw for a 20" bar, and that is no joke!

Sure it will "pull" it (stupid expression), but it will balance so badly that a larger and heavier saw is a better choise.

I prefere a 70cc saw for a 20" bar, and that is no joke!

I wasn't trying to make a joke... and why is a STUPID expression?????? :dizzy:

I think the 260 is a bit stingy on bar oil. With my 16" bar and .325 chain it just oils enough in dry fallen timber. I know most people cut green, but I have some storm damaged trees from last year that I am just getting to. I don't know how well it would lube a 20" bar, it would probably be sufficient, especially green wood. And yes I know the oiler is adjustable.

I think the important question is what is he going to use it for. I would get the 260 with the Stihl 16" bar/.325 chain and buy a spare 3/8" rim, chain, and 20" bar. Maybe something like a Oregon Pro-Lite bar & chain combo from Bailey's for just over $50 so that if he does not like the 20" on the 260 he can throw it on his 361 if he wants.

He is just going to be limbing with it, cutting downed trees around the farm. He is using his 361 with a 24" bar, but I think that is to heavy for just getting over his surgery. The 260 Pro sells with a 18" .325 bar and chain, maybe I keep that, and purchase the additional 3/8 sprocket, chain, and bar in 18" or 20". Good idea.

Does yours have the adjustable Carb (H and L)?

I think the important question is what is he going to use it for. I would get the 260 with the Stihl 16" bar/.325 chain and buy a spare 3/8" rim, chain, and 20" bar. Maybe something like a Oregon Pro-Lite bar & chain combo from Bailey's for just over $50 so that if he does not like the 20" on the 260 he can throw it on his 361 if he wants.

I run a 18" 3/8 .063 on my 260 and it does great. I have opened the muffler up but that is all the modifications that have been done. Does it cut as fast as my 361 or 362, NO, but it does OK. I wanted to make 3/8 .063 standard on all my Stihl saws for interchangability, it worked out good for me.

Steve

Did your 260 have the adjustable carb? Curious when you did your muffler mod if you also retuned the carb? Not sure what to look for, I guess just see if it has both adjustors, H and L ?

I run a 18" 3/8 .063 on my 260 and it does great. I have opened the muffler up but that is all the modifications that have been done. Does it cut as fast as my 361 or 362, NO, but it does OK. I wanted to make 3/8 .063 standard on all my Stihl saws for interchangability, it worked out good for me.

Steve

Latest posts

Back