MS260 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This spring I bought a Ms260 on sale for a great price and today I got to run it for the first time. So far I love it but have one question It's a MS260 and has a decompressor valve so I assumed it was the MS260pro with the decomp and adjustable oiler now on the bottom of the saw there is a hole with the adjustment diagram but I cannot find the adjustment screw in the hole do I need a special tool or did some models have the hole and no adjuster?

This spring I bought a Ms260 on sale for a great price and today I got to run it for the first time. So far I love it but have one question It's a MS260 and has a decompressor valve so I assumed it was the MS260pro with the decomp and adjustable oiler now on the bottom of the saw there is a hole with the adjustment diagram but I cannot find the adjustment screw in the hole do I need a special tool or did some models have the hole and no adjuster?

Should be a screw head up in that little hold. It also doesn't turn very far one way or the other. A small screwdriver is all you need to reach up in there and turn the screw...

Use a bright pen light to find it; just probing with a screwdriver can take a while. But, once you know where it is, it will be easier to find it with a screwdriver next time. And you are right, it is a 260 Pro if it has the decomp and adjustable oiler.

I looked in with a light and cannot see any screw and I can see in about 2 inches, Is there any where i could find a schematic on this saw I've been googling but cant find one.

Sounds to me like it is without the adjustable oiler. My 260 is the same way. Mine isnt a PRO though.

There is the possibility that the saw was a non pro when new, and someone added the decomp and shroud, or maybe the whole new cylinder. I would look harder for the oiler adj.

There is the possibility that the saw was a non pro when new, and someone added the decomp and shroud, or maybe the whole new cylinder. I would look harder for the oiler adj.

Samething crossed my mind...

I looked at pumps on ebay and there were 2 types a plastic non adjustable and a metal adjustable one. mine seems to have the plastic one. The saw is new from the dealer and does have the decomp. it also has the intellie carb and a made in canada stihl rollomatic .050/1.3 .325 67link bar with a .325 full chisle chain and a 325-7drive sprocket. it says MS260 on the starter cover and on the front sticker MS260Z 1121-011-3082 plus a bar code and serial # . So is this saw a 260pro or just a 260 Or maybe its a MS260Canadian EHH? Any of you techs know?

I looked at pumps on ebay and there were 2 types a plastic non adjustable and a metal adjustable one. mine seems to have the plastic one. The saw is new from the dealer and does have the decomp. it also has the intellie carb and a made in canada stihl rollomatic .050/1.3 .325 67link bar with a .325 full chisle chain and a 325-7drive sprocket. it says MS260 on the starter cover and on the front sticker MS260Z 1121-011-3082 plus a bar code and serial # . So is this saw a 260pro or just a 260 Or maybe its a MS260Canadian EHH? Any of you techs know?

Did you buy this saw off ebay? Maybe it was some homebrew that someone built. Can you tell if the saw was purchased in canada? The easiest way to tell if the saw was purchased in canada is by looking at the warning sticker on the chainbrake. Another way would be to have thall or someone that works at a stihl dealer, run the serial #.

Ok I guess that could be a possibly valid 260 configuration in canada, but just not in the US. After viewing the stihl canada website...it says they do not even offer a so called pro version in a non arctic 260. In the US an arctic version isn't available to my knowledge.

Stihl Canada's Professional Chainsaw List

Last edited:
My guess is someone added a decomp to a standard MS260. Just run it... if it was a real pro, it would have at LEAST the "pro" sticker on the air box...

I checked the Canadian website and they only list 2 models the MS260 and the MS260 artic the ste lists 3 options for the 260 The intella carb, the decomp valve, and elasta start. it does not have adjustable oiler as an option.even on the artic model. Mabey some day I'll pick up an auto oiler and put it on sence it has the hole for it anyway.

Yeah I noticed from their website that the canadian 260 models differ a lot vs the US ones. The non adj. oiler on them produce enough oil so there isn't much sense to upgrade unless you wanted to. The only other advantage of the adj. oiler is that it only pumps when the chain is moving. If you decide you want to upgrade to an adj. oiler I may have one laying around here...but there are a few parts you will need to upgrade to the adj oiler.

1) Adj. oiler
2) Oiler rod and worm gear
3) New clutch drum
4) Special Crank washer

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like more trouble than its worth. once again thanks to all.

Back