MS261 Available in the USA Already!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I went to the Stihl dealer today and he had a 261, no 260s. First impression is that it is a very neat looking, light saw. I say light because he has his saws all cabled to each other, so when I grabbed it I almost pulled a 311 and a 290 off the shelf with it! I stopped by right before he closed tonight so I didn't ask him to unhook it so that I could feel it at arm's length but it felt nimble to me. Maybe it has better balance? I'm comparing it to my 025, Stihl claims 11.6lbs for the 261 and 10.1lbs for the 250, I could not feel the extra pound and a half.

The bad (or different):
1 Flippy caps!
2 The air cleaner cover is held on like the 362 with, I think three cam-lock slotted screws. I'm not crazy about slotted screws/cam-locks. Come on Stihl leave slotted screws in the 80's where they belong.
3 The clutch cover is metal and has been shortened a little so that the bottom edge is higher (if you measured from the bottom of the saw.) Also they removed the holes for an outside felling dog. Not sure why they did that? But from what I have seen of the 441 it too lost the clutch cover dog holes, but not the 362?

Overall very impressed! Hope it will be a Christmas present from my wife!
http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

1079305105_3oKYt-M.jpg

I went to the Stihl dealer today and he had a 261, no 260s. First impression is that it is a very neat looking, light saw. I say light because he has his saws all cabled to each other, so when I grabbed it I almost pulled a 311 and a 290 off the shelf with it! I stopped by right before he closed tonight so I didn't ask him to unhook it so that I could feel it at arm's length but it felt nimble to me. Maybe it has better balance? I'm comparing it to my 025, Stihl claims 11.6lbs for the 261 and 10.1lbs for the 250, I could not feel the extra pound and a half.

The bad (or different):
1 Flippy caps!
2 The air cleaner cover is held on like the 362 with, I think three cam-lock slotted screws. I'm not crazy about slotted screws/cam-locks. Come on Stihl leave slotted screws in the 80's where they belong.
3 The clutch cover is metal and has been shortened a little so that the bottom edge is higher (if you measured from the bottom of the saw.) Also they removed the holes for an outside felling dog. Not sure why they did that? But from what I have seen of the 441 it too lost the clutch cover dog holes, but not the 362?

Overall very impressed! Hope it will be a Christmas present from my wife!
http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

you must've went where i was today.. sandia outdoor power equipment?

I was going to comment on the picture having the quick-adjust on it. I don't think that is an option on the pro saws, and the one I seen did not have that, it had two bar nuts and it was the new ones that are attached to the clutch cover.

Yep, did you get a look at it?

yeah i went there today at lunch. i think i bought the last 260 pro from that shop a month ago. i've been eyeballin the 441 or maybe a 460. the owner is cool so i go by sometimes just to BS with him and he told me he got the 261. so i checked it out real quick. pretty nice looking saw, but im real happy with my 260

I dont see anything in Brad's sgnature about a 261 so apparently its BS!! :hmm3grin2orange:

yeah i went there today at lunch. i think i bought the last 260 pro from that shop a month ago. i've been eyeballin the 441 or maybe a 460. the owner is cool so i go by sometimes just to BS with him and he told me he got the 261. so i checked it out real quick. pretty nice looking saw, but im real happy with my 260

Yea the owner is a nice guy, I like talking to him. I have no experience with the 441 but the 460 is hard to beat.

Yea the owner is a nice guy, I like talking to him. I have no experience with the 441 but the 460 is hard to beat.

the one thing about the 441 that has me sold is the air filtration.. you know living in NM...lots of dirty wood and dry conditions.

the one thing about the 441 that has me sold is the air filtration.. you know living in NM...lots of dirty wood and dry conditions.

The dirt/dust is bad, but the 460 has a good filter though maybe (probably) not as good as the 441. The dirty wood is another deal, I have seen good sized rocks pretty high up inside junipers. The worst thing I have seen is the chain stretch you get out here in nm.

BTW do you a 372 on craigslist for sale?

Nope not me! I have seen it though. I have thought about making the guy an offer, but I like Stihls. He seems a little high to me, but it is basically a new saw if you believe his ad. I think I would yank the muffler before I made an offer.

Go to 2:35. BTW, it looks like a lot simpler saw than the 441 or 362.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiIaHBpPvVI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiIaHBpPvVI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:help: Ayee! Man these new saws look like they will be harder to mod and work with. Meaning i better stock up on my arsenal of older saws. Like a 360 and 440 :bang::bang:
-ac

Last edited:
The Husky 562xp etc have the same feature - I am not really sure it is a good idea - time will show, as always! :)

It is a great idea!! the captured bar nuts are great!! as the rest of the saw!! i have been using one of mine 261's about 300+ hours....and i LOVE it more and more! it was a little "cold blooded" the first 15-20 tanks of gas......but now...:bowdown: iiihaaa....

Latest posts

Back