MS261 hard to start in -15° weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipFunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,
First off I love my 261. Combined with the Full chisel chain its perfect for everything I need on the farm here.
I have noticed that when its really cold it'll need a little coaxing to start and keep running. I have the tab in winter mode.
Is this to be expected or is there something I ca/should be doing to make cold starts better/easier on the saw?
I keep up with all the maintenance and the gas/oil mix is spot on. I only use the highest quality non ethanol High test gas and Stihl Premium 50:1 oil.
I do notice the bar oil is a little thick to pour. But when its running I assume its heated up and doing its job.

I'm guessing a cold start is normal, just want to hear it from someone else in the know so I don't assume something and wreck the saw.
I've started keeping it in a room in the barn that's not heated but insulated and never gets to freezing (vegetables never freeze in there)

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Drew

-15 and I don't like to start Drew. :cold: My 261 has been a bit harder to start with the colder weather here. Seems easier when I keep it in the heated shop at night. I have been leaving mine on choke tad longer in the cold on first start up. Gonna see if we can get this moved to chainsaw for more exposure. @pioneerguy600 could you move this Jerry?

-15 and I don't like to start Drew. :cold: My 261 has been a bit harder to start with the colder weather here. Seems easier when I keep it in the heated shop at night. I have been leaving mine on choke tad longer in the cold on first start up. Gonna see if we can get this moved to chainsaw for more exposure. @pioneerguy600 could you move this Jerry?
Thank you. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

When it gets that cold, I can't get much of anything started, including myself. Simple solution is keep it in a garage that seldom drops below zero and start it there before you take it outside. If you carry it in a truck, put it behind your back seat. Do not let it sit for two or three days in weather that cold and then expect it to fire right up. Even overnight it may have trouble the next morning.

When it gets that cold, I can't get much of anything started, including myself. Simple solution is keep it in a garage that seldom drops below zero and start it there before you take it outside. If you carry it in a truck, put it behind your back seat. Do not let it sit for two or three days in weather that cold and then expect it to fire right up. Even overnight it may have trouble the next morning.
Yup! Forget about a lot of Diesels too.

Sheesh...if my gear didn't start in -20 to -30 I would be in serious trouble. I don't tend to do much in the way of chain saw work in those temps but I do a lot of other stuff with my truck, tractors, and bigger equipment.

I consider -15 moderately cold, bloody cold if there is any wind, and will do some saw work if required. Most of my small motored tools are kept in the machine shop though where it doesn't get that cold. I have an 026 has starts the same in the winter or summer. Mind you, it can be finicky at times regardless of the temps. Likely more me than the saw. If anything, I think it starts better in cold weather. Perhaps because I'm paying more attention to what I am doing.

Sheesh...if my gear didn't start in -20 to -30 I would be in serious trouble. I don't tend to do much in the way of chain saw work in those temps but I do a lot of other stuff with my truck, tractors, and bigger equipment.

I consider -15 moderately cold, bloody cold if there is any wind, and will do some saw work if required. Most of my small motored tools are kept in the machine shop though where it doesn't get that cold. I have an 026 has starts the same in the winter or summer. Mind you, it can be finicky at times regardless of the temps. Likely more me than the saw. If anything, I think it starts better in cold weather. Perhaps because I'm paying more attention to what I am doing.
I actually prefer to cut in frigid temps. No sweat and the saws run great.

Is the 261 the high performance 16" the catalog says it is in any weather? I have a gap there I need to fill one day and wonder if its worth the extra money. I had a 250 CB-E for years, but it just wasn't a saw I wanted to keep around due to its performance. Sometimes it barely wanted to run a 16" bar.

I wonder how much loss in performance you will lose in temps that low, if any? Never been that cold.

Is the 261 the high performance 16" the catalog says it is in any weather? I have a gap there I need to fill one day and wonder if its worth the extra money. I had a 250 CB-E for years, but it just wasn't a saw I wanted to keep around due to its performance. Sometimes it barely wanted to run a 16" bar.

I wonder how much loss in performance you will lose in temps that low, if any? Never been that cold.
You gain hp as the temps drop. Air is more dense.

Ether in a 2 cycle would be a really, really bad idea. If it was life or death mandatory, then perhaps... ether.
what would happen, if ya snorted a shot of ether right at the compression release, chug the motor over. close the compression release? Would any be sucked directly into the cylinder to help the next ignition? This would have the advantage of getting ether directly into the cylinder and not down in the transfers, and bearings (bad things there).

Fuel with lighter carbon chains would be better, in this situation. 12 drops of coleman fuel...?

Properly tuned, decent compression, a saw "might" start. Most likely the problem would be getting fuel to atomize and get it all the way from the carb to the cylinder. If the motor is stiff to crank over, this would compound the problem.
Once the plug gets "wet" the party is over.

I have "cut" some at 0 deg, Not a lot of fun.

at -15, I am with the rest of the crowd. I don't start any better than the saw does.

Hard to see a shot of starter fluid causing a problem.

Two cycles die on straight gas because the piston rubbing on cylinder/ring will create hot spots and smear gall the metal without lubricant to reduce friction and conduct heat around. That's the principle.

If we're dealing with an engine that's too cold to even support combustion, I don't see that starter fluid having a chance to damage anything in the couple revolutions it will be in the cylinder.

All that said, a better solution is to keep the saw in the back seat of the truck on the way to the wood lot, or whatever similar.

Back