MS290 stopped working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydestone

Hydestone

ArboristSite Operative
Today I cut down an oak and cut it up into rounds. just as I was cutting my last piece, the saw quit on me. I restarted it, it ran for 30 seconds, the quit again. Now she won’t start.

I am using fresh gas with proper ratios.

Seems to make a slightly different sound when pulling it and might pull just a little bit easier than before.

Does that sound like a compression issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

user 122190
An effective and inexpensive compression gauge can be bought for $20 off Amazon or Ebay. I have heard of a piston ring breaking that you might see from peeking into the exhaust, but really a compression gauge is the ultimate tool to diagnose a lose of compression.

Hydestone

Hydestone

ArboristSite Operative
sounds good. i’ll pop it off and take a look. am
i looking for scoring of a cylinder? or broken gasket?

i’ll order up a compression tester on amazon.

if it is a scored cylinder, how difficult is the repair?

user 122190
alright guys...turns out the spark plug was the issue. somehow it loosened up a bit. i tightened up the plug and she fired right up.

appreciate the assistance.

Got to love the simple fixes.

I once was selling a Husky 460. I had run it the day before, knowing a buyer was coming by the following day. I shut it off after confirming it was running perfect. The next day, buyer shows up and Damn(!!!) it wont start. After fussing with it for 5 to 10 minutes, I finally check the gas. It had run out of gas just as I was shutting it off.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
alright guys...turns out the spark plug was the issue. somehow it loosened up a bit. i tightened up the plug and she fired right up.

appreciate the assistance.

Checking/replacing a plug is usually my first thing to check. Glad ya got it going. Now you can finish those big oak rounds.:chainsaw:

dswensen

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
one time worked on my splitter for an hour trying to get it started...then i realized the switch was in the off position. flipped it to on and she started right up ;)

Did this with a Honda CB 750 once. I'd like to say it was a long time ago, when I was young and dumb. I'd LIKE to say that ...... :dumb2: