MS290 with 18" bar .325 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipmc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im seriously thinking about upgrading to a 18" b&c on my ms290. Would this be doable and still have some authority in the cut? Right now Im using a 16" with stihl yellow full chisel and it is running like a raped ape. My main reason for wanting the 18" bar is for reach. I really do not have any wood larger then 15" in diameter to cut but alot of it is on the ground and requires alot of bending over. Im a little more then 6ft tall and after half a day of doing that my back is killing me. So will the stihl ms 290 pull the 18" b&c .325 yellow well or should I stick with the 16" ?

Most of em sold here are standard issue with 18 and 325. They seem to work decent. I have 2 with that setup. You will have a bit less power when bucking bigger stuff, but shouldnt be noticeable at all and may save your back.;)

Here in the Northwest you'll see 3/8 18" bar on those saws ;)

Here in these parts the dealers keep lots of 20" bars on hand with the FARM BOSS logo on them.
I use a 20" bar w/ yellow chains on my MS270, because I need that extra length. It doesn't cut as fast as a 70cc saw, but I don't expect it to.

i've got three years on my 290 .325 18inch bar rsc chain best setup i tried on these saws.

An 18" .325 should be fine on that saw. I would not run a 20" on it though. It will work, but it won't put much of a smile on your face. I had an 029 Super with the 20" on it, and it was too slow for me.

My 261 is pulling the 16 with authority, and the 18 just fine, but I doubt I'll ever put a 20" on it. Unless I do a muff mod first...hmm. No I'll probably just reach for the 039 if I need a 20" bar.

Do a muffler mod and slap a 20 on that thing. retune the carb afterwards. That will get you some reach. I ran a 20 on mine for years.

I assume it will work just fine, specially if the wood is the same - only you can deside if it works well enough for you. :msp_wink:

On my 290 I'm running the 18" with .325 RMC also, and am really pleased with it!!!!!!!!!

That is the size I have on my new to me 029 Super. Cuts like a champ. I am very impressed so far.

Many of those saws around here came set up with 18" .325 and an 8 tooth drive sprocket and I always felt that set up could be better with a 7 tooth sprocket. If yours has 8 tooth, I would switch to 7 tooth before going to the bigger bar.

On the 16" bars, that 8 tooth set up should be pretty fast.

Many of those saws around here came set up with 18" .325 and an 8 tooth drive sprocket and I always felt that set up could be better with a 7 tooth sprocket. If yours has 8 tooth, I would switch to 7 tooth before going to the bigger bar.

On the 16" bars, that 8 tooth set up should be pretty fast.

Im about 99.99% sure its a 7 tooth sprocket. Has loads of torqe with the 16" The other day i was cutting up some 7" round black locust up with it and I was really leaning in it hard to try and see where it would bog and it just wouldn't. It would just chew right through the wood like it wanted more.

With a 16" bar, it should chew up wood, especially if it's 7" diameter stuff. It will pretty well chew up 16" wood too, and if you cut from both sides, 32" stuff should be doable.

Which is exactly what I found myself doing with my 261. I have the 18 and the 16 inch bars, and the 16 is fantastic for bucking firewood. You basically cannot bog it down if you have a sharp chain and decent technique. I'm sure as I get older, I'll prefer the 18 on it to get the reach, but for scrambling around tops, the 16 is easier to work with.

I have run 3/8, 50 on a 7 pin with 20" bar, MM 029 its whole life and I bought it new...
wouldn't think of running less, course I just cut that NW Piney wood and when I need to cut bigger wood I use a bigger saw, 440, 056MII, 064....

Latest posts

Back