MS360 Pro Oil pump problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mictrik

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score

I am "cleaning up" after Sandy and the subsequent Snow Storm. Have 3 large oaks down that need bucking and I was going at it until I noticed that my Chain was accumulating too much pitch and was not very well lubricated. Further inspection revealed that most of the oil was flowing out of the bottom of my saw by the oil flow adjustment screw. Very little oil is actually making it to the bar. I cleaned the saw and pulled off the clutch to reveal the oil pump. I am at a loss as to what is the likely problem and do not see what the issue is. I do notice that the oil output hose is very stiff and the worm gear looked good. When i run the saw a considerable amount of oil flows from the bottom under the pump, so should I assume the pump is working but leaking? There are washers in the Piston according to the IPL, could these need to be replaced? Should I replace the intake and output hoses first? I took a few pictures of the pump after i had cleaned it, reassembled it, and then ran the saw for a minute in a feeble attempt to pinpoint exactly where the oil was flowing from. I have no better idea however. I am hoping that some of you with far more experience than I might be able to set me in the right direction.

Output hose.

+1

the output hose should make a smooth arc away from the pump output nipple. Your seems corrupted just past the nipple.

The output hose should be very stiff it is a thermoplastic which needs to be heated at the ends to install. There is also a metal coil inside it to prevent kinking. Looks almost as if the coil may have poked through the hose. See if you can find a crack in that area just above the pump output nipple.

P.S. did clutch get full of debris and/or overheated, that may have melted/compromised the hose.

+1

the output hose should make a smooth arc away from the pump output nipple. Your seems corrupted just past the nipple.

The output hose should be very stiff it is a thermoplastic which needs to be heated at the ends to install. There is also a metal coil inside it to prevent kinking. Looks almost as if the coil may have poked through the hose. See if you can find a crack in that area just above the pump output nipple.

P.S. did clutch get full of debris and/or overheated, that may have melted/compromised the hose.

I purchased this saw second hand around 4 years ago. It was not run too much but was likely not as cared for as it has been in my possession. While in my possession the clutch was never full of debris or over heated, I often do not engage the chain brake when starting as I am accustomed to saws that never had chain brakes.

I was suspecting the hose but was not sure if the output hose was supposed to be angled like that. I can not see a crack, but given the severe curvature I am sure that it is likely creating back pressure on the pump and there could be a crack I do not see. I am inclined to simply replace that hose and hope for the best. The IPL (which does NOT show such curvature to the hose) does not have a part number for that hose but rather a "hose kit" Stihl Part number 1124-007-1010? Does this come with that "metal coil"? The hose looks like it may be hard to remove and even more difficult to install. Any advice or "tricks" to make this easier would be appreciated.

I purchased this saw second hand around 4 years ago. It was not run too much but was likely not as cared for as it has been in my possession. While in my possession the clutch was never full of debris or over heated, I often do not engage the chain brake when starting as I am accustomed to saws that never had chain brakes.

I was suspecting the hose but was not sure if the output hose was supposed to be angled like that. I can not see a crack, but given the severe curvature I am sure that it is likely creating back pressure on the pump and there could be a crack I do not see. I am inclined to simply replace that hose and hope for the best. The IPL (which does NOT show such curvature to the hose) does not have a part number for that hose but rather a "hose kit" Stihl Part number 1124-007-1010? Does this come with that "metal coil"? The hose looks like it may be hard to remove and even more difficult to install. Any advice or "tricks" to make this easier would be appreciated.

There was a 034 with similar problem recently, do a search.

I also described hose replacement on a 036 in 2009.

Yes, the kit comes with the metal coil but I would save the old one. Kit has enough plastic hosing to do two saws

Besides removing the pump all you need is a heating source (bic lighter) needle nose pliers.

There was a 034 with similar problem recently, do a search.

I also described hose replacement on a 036 in 2009.

Yes, the kit comes with the metal coil but I would save the old one. Kit has enough plastic hosing to do two saws

Besides removing the pump all you need is a heating source (bic lighter) needle nose pliers.

Thank you for your advice and instructions. I pulled off the pump and can confirm with certainty that the kink in the line was the issue. I bought a replacement line from a local Stihl dealer. While attempting to place the line on the pump nipple the nipple broke off. I believe it was already bent but figured it still had enough integrity. Well apparently it did not have enough to withstand my hasty jostling. So Now I assume that i must get another pump housing. That is unless a new nipple can be refitted (I doubt it)... I will say this, the stiffness of the line and the procedures for installation given by Stihl make this the most difficult normal repair to date for me. Not sure why Stihl designed this system with these materials & parts but ..? "it is what it is".

Back