ms361 bad crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrown

more saws than I need
Reaction score
Picked up a 361 off craigslist that was locked up. Saw looks nice. Took it apart today, cleaned it up and it passed vacuum test. Found big end rod bearing shot and a gouge below intake port. Anyone have experience with aftermarket crank and cylinder kit? I was thinking about having this saw ported also.

I cant tell how bad that groove in the cylinder is but you might be ok with it. I cant imagine a small grove would cause any problems below the intake port. You wont loose any compression maybe just a little intake charge. If its a oem jug I'd try it out. Cranks are the heart of the engine. Maybe you should look for a good oem.

The jug also has the top fins with the cover mount broken off. It could be rewelded if the gouge isn't critical. I will have to start looking for a crank. Too bad a 460 crank isn't the same, I have two extra ones.

Here are some pics. Are crank problems common on the 361?
Well I have pics bit can't seem to get them to attach using my phone

Last edited:
I have 3 or 4 361 cranks out in my shop that look just like that. A couple 362 cranks as well. Best bet is to get another OEM crank bud. Used or new. Bearings too.

Latest posts

Back