MS361 carb. icing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sesmith

sesmith

ArboristSite Operative
Yesterday I had some problems with carb icing on my MS361. Most of the time it caused stalling at idle, though I also had the throttle stick wide open a couple of times. This happened even though I had the winter/summer baffle set to winter. If I set the saw down a few minutes to let it thaw It would return to normal until it iced up again. Finally I noticed that when I fired it up after setting it in the snow the chain would throw snow up toward the carb intake (though I never saw any on the air filter when I checked). I removed the baffle entirely and the snow blew out the side where the baffle fits and the problems pretty much went away for the rest of the day. Coincidence?? I've used this saw in the winter weather plenty without any icing problems before. Any sure-fire fixes out there in case it happens again (and I don't want to hear buy an orange saw:) )

brages

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is a cover plate that be mounted on the starter side of your saw to keep the snow from getting sucked up.

It is recommended for operation below 14° or in snowy conditions.

sesmith

sesmith

ArboristSite Operative
this may sound like a dumb question ,but what type of fuel are you using?

Funny you ask that. The last time I filled the can I mistakenly put regular in it instead of the higher octane stuff, though I did some cutting with this tank with no problems (but it was a little warmer out then).

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

ArboristSite Guru
There is a cover plate that be mounted on the starter side of your saw to keep the snow from getting sucked up.

It is recommended for operation below 14° or in snowy conditions.

Also check if the rubber flanged filter cover is available too.The rubber [some heavy vinyl in old design]flap or flange covers the gap between the 2 top covers. This ensures optimum cylinder heat gets back to the carb. If you can't get the winter filter cover then just cover the gap with duck tape, same goes for the lower 1/2 of the rewind housing. Less cold air and snow sucked in ,more heat going back to carb.

Last edited:
HolmenTree

HolmenTree

ArboristSite Guru
Husqvarna also shows that cover in their owner's manuals. Can I just duct tape over the same area?

Philbert

I'm in Manitoba just north of you. We get cold winters and I find the plate is not enough cold restriction. Duct tape a little past half of the intake grid will keep your saw toasty warm .30 below or colder put more tape on LOL.

Latest posts