ms361 or ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattergun13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello all, I am considering buying a new Stihl and think I have my choice narrowed down to one of these two models. I do a moderate amount of firewood cutting only but I want more power than my present ms290. Is the 390 better based on displacement or is the 361 a better choice for my needs, or are there other models that I should consider. Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

I own a 310 and a 361 and if you have the money get the 361 the quality of the machine is night and day. Just better built or like the other guy said get a new piston and jug the 290 310 390 are all basically the same saw

I'd spend the extra $100 bucks & get the 361. It's a magnesium body(Pro Saw) as opposed to the plastic 390. It will last most likely outlast you if you take care of it. Jmho....

RD

I've had a mid-grade Stihl (310) and currently have a 361. As much as I liked the 310, I like the 361 much more. Rev's faster and higher, lighter, more power/torque, handles great, and runs much smoother both in and out of the cut. I wouldn't let a hundred bucks stand in the way of getting the best.

I ran my 361 against a 390 in 18" oak several times.
20" bars on both.
361 won by quite a bit every time.
we even swapped saws and raced again. same results.
his chain was in better shape than mine too.

I have a 361 which is hands down the better choice. If your not loyal to stihl keep your 290 and get yourself a 372 with a 24" bar, you'll love the extra power and your 290 will compliment it great with a 16" bar.

I guess I will throw in also for the 361. I have one and they are GREAT. The extra money you will pay for it over the lifespan of the saw will not amount to much and will long be forgotten. If I could only have one saw it would be my 361.

i was going to get a 361 but decided on the mak 6401, much cheaper, just dont like the fact that sthil over charges for everything they sell.+ when the p&c wearout ill put the p&c from the 7900 in it.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Back