MS361 Question - is this normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5shot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
carb.JPG

Notice that there is only one nut holding the housing on - would guess that there was supposed to be two.

Also, this saw doesn't smoke in the least (brand new, not even a tank through it). I am using Stihl Ultra at the recommended 50:1, and the H setting is all the way out against the limiter. My MS250 always let out some smoke, so I am wondering if this is par for the course with the 361.

Thanks,

John

On the saw? I've got the other two.

As for the smoke....I should add that it does smoke a bit cold, but not warm.

Thanks,

John

I've got a MS361 and the chain oiler doesn't work very well. The chain is dry but you can tell that there is "some" oil getting to it. I have the setting on the saw to max oil output. Is there a known problem with the oiler on the MS361? BTW, I've had this saw for almost 2 years now, but it hasn't seen much use, but will start seeing a LOT of use before long. :)

I've got a MS361 and the chain oiler doesn't work very well. The chain is dry but you can tell that there is "some" oil getting to it. I have the setting on the saw to max oil output. Is there a known problem with the oiler on the MS361? BTW, I've had this saw for almost 2 years now, but it hasn't seen much use, but will start seeing a LOT of use before long. :)

If, when turned up full, it uses 1/2 tank to 2/3 tank of oil to a tank of gas, it's normal. If your bar doesn't burn, it's not an issue. If you want more oil there is recent thread on modifying the pump with 046 parts.

If, when turned up full, it uses 1/2 tank to 2/3 tank of oil to a tank of gas, it's normal. If your bar doesn't burn, it's not an issue. If you want more oil there is recent thread on modifying the pump with 046 parts.

Good advice, but the output is sufficient for an 18" bar, and that is all I want on the 361.....:givebeer: :cheers:

It is not a power issue, but a balance one....:cheers: :cheers: :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Troll,
Haven't people on here figured out that the best balance for the 361 is about 20"? 18" would be way to tail heavy, good for limbers. 24" for really reliable nose in the dirt cutting as well. I however am still waiting on the oiler parts for my saw. I'd rather be able to turn it up a bit more when cutting larger oak than have a brown bar and chain.
For the cost over the life of the saw it can't hurt. Do you think I can have the dealership put the parts in if I show them a semi burnt chain and bar? Hmmmm.
Chad

I run the lighter winter bar oil all year round in mine and this helps.

Do you think I can have the dealership put the parts in if I show them a semi burnt chain and bar? Hmmmm.
Chad

:ices_rofl:

That mod is EASY!!!! The most difficult part is getting the pin out (that secures the control bolt) I had to "improvise"

Troll,
Haven't people on here figured out that the best balance for the 361 is about 20"? 18" would be way to tail heavy, good for limbers. 24" for really reliable nose in the dirt cutting as well. I however am still waiting on the oiler parts for my saw. I'd rather be able to turn it up a bit more when cutting larger oak than have a brown bar and chain.
For the cost over the life of the saw it can't hurt. Do you think I can have the dealership put the parts in if I show them a semi burnt chain and bar? Hmmmm.
Chad

I run a 15" with 8-pin for limbing and most bucking - perfect set-up here....:cheers: :cheers:

Back