MS361 vs 044 which is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump doctor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have read many good things on both these saws. I currently have an 044 and have been quite pleased with it. I currently run a 24" bar and may be better off with a 20" bar as it is used for trees for 24" and less with fir, pine, madrone and some oak. It is used mostly for bucking and some limbing. If I did not have the 044, would a MS361 give me close to the same perfomance to weight ratio? Or would you really notice a lack of power compared to an 044?

In another thread I read where Stihl has a dual port muffler cap for the 044. If someone has it on their saw, could you please post a pic. This may very well be worth picking up the next time I go to the Stihl dealer. ;)

Apples an oranges. They are both great saws, I own a 361 an 044 and a 440 Mag, so I feel I have the spectrum pretty well covered. The 361 is magnificent saw, and I love it. As is the 044/440. But they're separated by nearly one hp. The 044 has more torque per weight and I consider and use it in lager timber. I'll gladly use the 361 in standing timber, but only in growth of smaller diameters, say 20" and less. I have falled trees with my 24" bar on the 361 buried, and it did just fine, but if I'm gonna be in wood larger than that, I'll go with the 440 and a 28".

So to say which is better would depend on what you're cutting, how much bar you need, and how much weight you want to carry around. They're each a great saw...in their own right.

As far as the pic of the dual port muffler cover, that was covered in an earlier thread, but I can't find it. Do a search, and you'll have plenty of reading.

Here's a pic of the cover on my 440. I have one on my 460 as well. They're the same P/N It's 1128-140-0801 I think. Should cost you about $30. Well worth it.

Jeff

Thanks so much for the picture. I will pick one up next trip to the Stihl dealer.

I have been looking at the different models and the 361 would sure compliment my 044 especially with an 18" bar. :) I really wanted to get a smaller lighter saw. I had one in the past and remember being underwhelmed with the low power and quickly traded it in. For the amount they want for an MS200 I could really justify spending the few extra $$ on a MS361 for a limbing and some what heavy brush clearing saw. For the little stuff I always have my trusty zero kickback Silky Gomboy folding saw.

stump doctor said:
I had one in the past and remember being underwhelmed with the low power and quickly traded it in. For the amount they want for an MS200 I could really justify spending the few extra $$ on a MS361 for a limbing and some what heavy brush clearing saw.

You don't mean you had a 361 and were underwhelmed do you? And as far as the 361 complimenting your 044, I agree, but I'd say that your 028 does that nicely now. I also agree that for the extra money, you could justify the 361. You'd have a more versatile saw in the 361 than in the 200. The 361 and 044 share the same bar mount and pitch. Plus the 200, for as good as a saw as it is, is still a specialized saw. It's a climbing saw with a rear handle. The 361 will limb, buck, fall and yes, even climb...

Jeff

I have read many good things on both these saws. I currently have an 044 and have been quite pleased with it. I currently run a 24" bar and may be better off with a 20" bar as it is used for trees for 24" and less with fir, pine, madrone and some oak. It is used mostly for bucking and some limbing. If I did not have the 044, would a MS361 give me close to the same perfomance to weight ratio? Or would you really notice a lack of power compared to an 044?

In another thread I read where Stihl has a dual port muffler cap for the 044. If someone has it on their saw, could you please post a pic. This may very well be worth picking up the next time I go to the Stihl dealer. ;)

FOR BIGGER WOOD 18" TO 20" AND HIGHER HARDWOODS
044 or MS440 Is the better saw. More power
044 Has a metal handle
044 is more of a Pro saw
MS361 plastic handle
MS361 Better anti vibration
the Ms361 is very balanced
I love my 044 though, its my favorite saw
I use both with a tree service and the 044 never gets bogged down in any wood i have used it on.
MS361 Will go through most wood with little effort, but i have encountered a few times it was just a little weak on some of the harder larger pieces.
Both Saws are Great choices, pic the one that suits you best. If you like having the extra power on tap go with 044 or MS440
If you want a great all around homeowner plus saw go with the ms361

Yes your definately right Andy...have u been keeping in touch with fishhuntcutwood? How is he doing?

Sadly I haven't. Last I heard he was on a cutter in the Caribbean, but that was 3 years ago! Must be time to dig though old emails and ping him.

Back