MS440 Reborn - Only for some?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDF

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long story short - I walked into my local Stihl dealer asking about getting my hands on a couple MS440's. Probably sensing why I was there and without asking, the dealer told me that Stihl Northeast had decided not to order any MS440's for their dealer network. So I guess anyone in the Northeast including Pennsylvania will be out of luck?:confused: With a restrictive shipping policy it cuts out a corner of the market that would spend money on the saw. I try to support my local dealer but me and the $3000 in my pocket left confused and frustrated.

I had a feeling this would happen. I have a source on the west coast that can take care of me, but it is a little irritating that I may not be able to purchase one from my local dealer. I meant to make a phone call today, but will find out what is going on tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Contact Stihl corporate and let them know that their dealer network is pissing you off...Stihl is very controlling of it's dealers and who can sell their products, and it is nearly impossible to order them online from what I can tell...and that is ok, they have to protect that network, but that network better be working for the customers, particularly their heavy industry customers that like to spend big bucks on chainsaws...

I wonder about my area. I haven't contacted any dealers in my area about them.

I have two local dealers and I was the first person they had heard anything from about the new 440s. There supplier has said nothing about it.

I was standing there when he called the Stihl Northeast on speakerphone and what I previously mentioned was the response. I have no reason to doubt him. Just trying to keep my money local and support a good dealer whom has been good to me. It's very difficult to cold-call west coast shops and ask them to break their rules for me. It might be what I'll have to do.:msp_mad:

They are definetly here. I seen one sell on Ebay for 900 bucks.

Guy said everything was the same except the filtration. I would like to see whats up with the air filters.

Northeast Stihl is afraid of too many 441 being left without owners...

and with good reason...

Goes to show you, even they know the 441 is a hunk-o-junk...:msp_thumbdn:

Jacob - I may take you up on that if I don't make any headway in the next month or so!:msp_unsure: Stihl certainly has the right to conduct it's business as it sees fit but I am certain, as was mentioned, that 441's are sitting on dealer shelves here untouched. Unfortunately what will happen is already beginning: These new 440's will end up on popular auction sites which negates Stihl's purpose and intent for prohibiting internet sales. I'm sure they will command top dollar as well but I'm not prepared to go that route just yet. I just don't get why you would exclude a portion of the country from buying your product. In general, those in the business know what they want and what works best for them. Why not give them the option?

Jacob - I may take you up on that if I don't make any headway in the next month or so!:msp_unsure: Stihl certainly has the right to conduct it's business as it sees fit but I am certain, as was mentioned, that 441's are sitting on dealer shelves here untouched. Unfortunately what will happen is already beginning: These new 440's will end up on popular auction sites which negates Stihl's purpose and intent for prohibiting internet sales. I'm sure they will command top dollar as well but I'm not prepared to go that route just yet. I just don't get why you would exclude a portion of the country from buying your product. In general, those in the business know what they want and what works best for them. Why not give them the option?

:agree2:

I agree 100%. It doesnt make much sense for them not to make them available to the whole country. Almost makes me want to turn toward Husky. At least you can get a 372xpxt anywhere. :msp_ohmy:

My local dealer says he can get me one if I want it. So I think we should be good to go Mike. He has been known to sheit me though. :msp_angry::msp_wink:
if his warehouse chooses not to stock, it may be tough to get you one. there are other routes to take,but at the asking price,i am not even interested now. i can get a new 460 wrap/28" for 815.00-830.00.

They are definetly here. I seen one sell on Ebay for 900 bucks.

Guy said everything was the same except the filtration. I would like to see whats up with the air filters.

The air filter is not specific to the 440 and not that new. The HD filter (0000 120 1654) was used on 044/MS440-->088/MS880. It was also used on the earlier versions of the MS441.

The new HD2 version (0000 140 4402) uses the same material/style filter as that on the 261, only in the traditional oval/rectangle shape. Like the 261 no prefilter. The HD2 was put on the 441 at the middle of last year (shortly after the release of the 261, may have even been before the release in the US) and I believe towards the end of last year put on all the other models mentioned.

The air filter is not specific to the 440 and not that new. The HD filter (0000 120 1654) was used on 044/MS440-->088/MS880. It was also used on the earlier versions of the MS441.

The new HD2 version (0000 140 4402) uses the same material/style filter as that on the 261, only in the traditional oval/rectangle shape. Like the 261 no prefilter. The HD2 was put on the 441 at the middle of last year (shortly after the release of the 261, may have even been before the release in the US) and I believe towards the end of last year put on all the other models mentioned.

Can that new filter set up be retro fitted to the older 440?

Latest posts

Back