MS460 seized?!$&@

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a used saw from fleabay that was "tested working" had a bunch of pictures but not much description. Got it today and opened it up and tried to pull it over to check it out and it is seized wont pull over wont budge. Removed muffler and this is what I see.
ju6avyta.jpg

7y8atude.jpg

I have sent an email to seller who has a very good rating and asks for contact to make things right before negative feedback is left.
I have called a local dealer that was open today to check on prices for new P&C and labor to change it out. A P&C kit was in the 160's and a couple of hours of labor.
A big question for me is what are the chances the lower end, bearings and crank are bad? If those are bad the rough cost of a complete rebuild is more than what I paid for the saw and I could easily buy a new saw if repair and sale price combined.
I really think the seller will work with me but I don't want to take a chance on it just being a bad top end and we come to agreement on that then open it up and have to completely rebuild.
I have been reading on here a lot and know I will get a lot of advise with most of it being good :)

Unfortunately if the top end is seized you really need to pull the jug to check the rest of if. It needs to rotate to check for up and down end play and check to make sure bearings are turning smooth. The bigger question is why it is seized. If it was bad gas. Most likely not a prob. If it has a massive air leak it cld be bad. Do u have pics of the rest of the saw to kind of get an idea of the condition the saw is in.

I would say that there's a good chance the bottom end has issues. Saws don't typically seize unless the crank bearings lock up or something gets jammed in one of the cylinder ports. I would check the price of the piston and cylinder kit, that seems awful low for OEM, that looks like a price for an aftermarket kit, which I wouldn't settle for.

Send it back unless you dont mind possibly throwing a bunch of money at it .

In words it's used but in good condition, not been cleaned before sold. The plastic isn't cracked.
emujydy7.jpg

epu2a7aq.jpg

e9u8u5ej.jpg

utejutu9.jpg

In the end what I want is a 460 that runs and will run for a long time with proper maintenance and treatment for around what I payed for this one. I am only going to be cutting firewood or storm cleanup.
If we can make a reasonable deal on this one it would be a great time to send it to someone to be ported!
To make matters worse the transmission went out in my wife's jeep yesterday and there went any extra money for port work and the like. I really want one of these saws and had the money saved up but now it will probably have to go into the jeep.

Remember that he said it was locked up, which could have one of several causes:
  • Something jammed behind the flywheel
  • Bad lower end
  • Ring snagged in a port
  • It got hot enough to "weld" the piston to the cylinder wall
  • Recoil is "fubared" and won't allow the saw to pull over
My instinct would be not to tear into it but simply send it back.

I doubt an OEM 460 P/C is $160. A scored P/C has little to do with bad bearing . Either can occur without the other. I would send the saw back unless the seller adjusted price to around $100-125.

This is what I will probably do. At that price worst case I can part out what is here and get my money back.
Best case scenario only top end is damaged and if wife's transmission issue doesn't eat all our savings up send it out for port work and rebuild.

I should add, the piston doesn't appear to be seized and the rings don't have that usual melted into the piston look with aluminum smeared over them so the saw may actually still be in running condition (though obviously screwed up). The fact that it wont turn over at all could be something else like a loose screw or nut stuck in the flywheel or starter mechanism that got there as a result of shipping. Sometimes removing the starter and turning the saw over backwards will free up a jam. (but as stated above, I wouldn't do anything else to the saw if I were you)

I would say that there's a good chance the bottom end has issues. Saws don't typically seize unless the crank bearings lock up or something gets jammed in one of the cylinder ports. I would check the price of the piston and cylinder kit, that seems awful low for OEM, that looks like a price for an aftermarket kit, which I wouldn't settle for.
I have not found this to be the case at all.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?
I have got a few saws off ebay and have always been able to come to terms with the seller if there was a problem. You have the advantage in this situation, They are out the listing fee and 2X the shipping cost if you send it back(which will be AT their expense). And if they want to protect their FS, they will try to make you happy. I bought a 200t that was advertised in good running condition for 190+25ship The piston was scored and the cylinder un savable. A oem top end at a stihler would have been over 350.00Parts + Labor(w/ new seals). The seller split the difference with me- the saw cost me 40.00.
Your saw looks in nice condition, A/M parts for a complete rebuild assuming the rod big end bearing is good-Gaskets,seals, p/c, bearings and lines and hoses etc would be less than 250.00. I do 460's for 125.00 labor there are plenty of good people that may even do it for less. and if it is something easy you may only need a piston and rings(I would recommend doing the seals too).
If this is the saw you want (MS 460) they are getting harder to come by. I would not be too hasty to send it back.

Back