MS461 now available in Ontario

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From memory the 460 was introduced in 2001 which was basically a 046 (1995) with minor changes. So my question to Stihl is, what has your 460 design 'team' been doing for the last 11+ years.

Like Brad said, I really really hope they made an effort with the 661.

It's probably a fine saw with more stock torque, better filtration, fuel effecient, meaner sounding than a stock 460, all for the same weight. Pure speculation though..........

well i'm happy with my latest acquisition with stihl being a pack of lazy bums i don't feel disappointed
that i just bought a ported MS 460 R

I'm personally quite disappointed. Stihl continues to fall behind the curve ball. You would think it would have spring AV and M-Tronic as well. I will be even more disappointed if the 661 continues this trend.

Spring AV ain't all that, and I'm fairly confident that no EPA-Tronic bologna gonna be bringing home a trophy anytime soon....

Talked to my dealer yesterday and asked if he has seen the 461 yet. He said nope. Then proceeded to lament as to why they just couldn't continue to build the same model as the 460 is a great saw. Well, then we got talking about NASCAR racing and never got back to saws. (His shop is about 2 miles from the Atlanta Motor Speedway and the races are there this Labor Day weekend.)

I did find out that it probably isn't worth buying a new tip for my Stihl 25" Super bar as it would be about $34 with tax. He didn't stock it anyway...

I'm personally quite disappointed. Stihl continues to fall behind the curve ball. You would think it would have spring AV and M-Tronic as well. I will be even more disappointed if the 661 continues this trend.

I have been disappointed every time Stihl has introduced a new model since 2005/2006 - so by now I more or less expect to be...:givebeer:

That's a pity, as they did a great job with the last new swa before that, the MS361.....

So whats the point of a new model 70cc ish saw the only real difference is its a stratto ?
I think i will stick with the 441Cs.

At first, I hoped the 461 would be a 441cm with a larger bore, that would compensate for the weight and bulk, but there is a while since that hope was lost....:pumpkin2:

From the looks of the ipl. Looks like a ms460 with different jug and piston.

So whens someone going to buy one and throw it on the scales? I wonder how much weight it gained?

Only .1 kg or so according to specs, but then the 460 weight spec was slightly inflated when the 441 came out - likely to make the 441 spec look less bad, despite the spec for that one was "optimistic".....

I am hoping they will rush out some CM models pretty soon. If they're pretty much the same weight as the 460, but with strato and CM then I'd think that would make a good felling saw. Still wish they would have stuck some Spring AV in there though. May have to wait on the 462 for that. :D

I gonna go ahead and speculate again here, I bet they forget the CM all together on the 461. I say that because I'm thinking they will go right to fuel injection when they upgrade the model or call it a 462..........

If you want spring vibe and m-tronic, get the 441
If you want rubber mount feel and reliability, along with a carb you can control, get the 461

I see Stihl capturing 2 markets here, not necessarily a bad thing if it works out.

Last edited:
Back