MS660 clutch visual wear inspection? (picture)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinm210

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there something I should be looking at on the clutch shoes/drums for what's considered too worn or not?

I was cleaning up some parts and got to looking at the clutch shoes. After a good cleaning, I noticed there there is some rough like material in the middle of each shoe, but the outer edges were worn smooth.

I'm guessing it's time to replace this one, just looking for your thoughts?

The saw was broke when I got it, so I have no idea how the clutch ran previously.
ms660.jpg

Thanks!
Martin

Lay the clutch flat on a white surface.

Look at the springs they should all look the same without uneven spaces in the coils.

Look closely at the hole where the springs are attached. Should be a circle. Many times the holes will be elongated and the springs cannot hold the clutch shoes tight.

With the clutch held in your hand by one shoes flip it up and down it should not flex the springs. Try each shoe. The clutch pack should feel tight.

The shoe engagement surface will have areas that look like that is where they engage. All the shoes should look similar. If they are all wearing squarely, with no cracks, thin spots and all else mentioned looks good it should be okay.

Latest posts

Back