MS660 damaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMW_Derek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a used MS660 that has some damage to case. Please share thoughts on if damage is a big issue/concern. It appears cosmetic; however, would appreciate feedback from the experts on the forum.

RFgJITYLQGqlh1EO8Z31UQ.jpg

Derek

"Some damage to the case"? That's what I call optimism!

If there are no oil leaks and it doesn't vibrate like an old washing machine you can run it to check nothing else is wrong, but honestly I wouldn't go logging with it.
Good luck finding cases for it because 066/MS660 ones seem rarer than hen teeth these days.

I think they are still available as a replacement part. Expensive but not rare.

I am sure prices in the US are considerably lower than here but last time I checked (2015 or 2016) a crankcase for an MS660 was €400 and came barebone, meaning no gaskets or seals. Given the 2018 Stihl price list seems to have got more than the customary New Year markup I honestly doubt those crankcases got any cheaper. 450? May be 500? :dumb:

That's why you struggle to find a used MS660/066 crankcase and last week I saw two 066 "part saws" which were actually the whole saws minus the crankcase in a cardboard box. If the woner can sell the top ends (and he will) and the fuel tanks he'll come off way ahead than selling the saws whole...

There are 2 types of crankcases.

Partnr 1122 020 2103 ---310€

Ab Masch.-Nr. X 33 917 066 wird die Kurbelwelle
1122 030 0407 durch die Ausführung 1122 030 0408
ersetzt. Die neue Kurbelwelle unterscheidet sich
durch ein größeres Hubzapfenlager gegenüber der
seitherigen Ausführung.
Die Kurbelwelle 1122 030 0408 ist ca. 4 mm länger
als die seitherige Ausführung. Der Durchmesser am
Konus ändert sich von 13,5 mm auf 15,0 mm.
Das Gewinde (zünderseitig) wird von M 8 auf M 10
umgestellt.
1.2 Kurbelgehäuse*
Im Zusammenhang mit der Änderung unter
Punkt 1.1 wird auch das Kurbelgehäuse modifiziert.
Das Kurbelgehäuse 1122 020 2102 wird durch die
Ausführung 1122 020 2103 ersetzt. Das Kurbelgehäuse
neuer Ausführung unterscheidet sich
durch einen vergrößerten Lagerabstand von der
seitherigen Ausführung.
Der Sitz für die Wellendichtringe wurde vergrößert.
Der Wellendichtring BS 13,5x20x4 wird durch die
Ausführung BS 15x22x4 ersetzt.
Kostet laut Liste

Let me translate that for you.

915/5000
Partno 1122 020 2103 --- 310 €

From machine no. X 33 917 066 is the crankshaft
1122 030 0407 by the execution 1122 030 0408
replaced. The new crankshaft is different
by a larger Hubzapfenlager compared to the
since then.
The crankshaft 1122 030 0408 is about 4 mm longer
as the later execution. The diameter at
Cone changes from 13.5 mm to 15.0 mm.
The thread (igniter side) goes from M 8 to M 10
changed.
1.2 Crankcase *
In connection with the change under
Point 1.1 also modifies the crankcase.
The crankcase 1122 020 2102 is characterized by the
Version 1122 020 2103 replaced. The crankcase
new design is different
by an enlarged bearing distance from the
since then.
The seat for the shaft seals has been enlarged.
The shaft seal BS 13,5x20x4 is replaced by the
Version BS 15x22x4 replaced.
Costs according to the list

Hubzapfenlager= crank bearing

They made new cases because the newer crankshaft is arround 4 mm longer than the previous one.

Thank you all for your help. I am still looking for a crankcase. I will buy new if I have to but finding a good used one will help. I am in discussions with one member on a used case. I hope he is able to come through for me. He seems very helpful so far.

Huztl has them for about US$35. Not OEM Stihl but there are many of them out there on the kit saws and they seem to be decent quality.

Guys excuse my newbie like question. But I was going to take my 360 apart and repaint it to make it look new again. Does the case halves make up the oil tank, as in I need RTV sealant to keep it from leaking?

Is it the same for my new 241

Guys excuse my newbie like question. But I was going to take my 360 apart and repaint it to make it look new again. Does the case halves make up the oil tank, as in I need RTV sealant to keep it from leaking?

Is it the same for my new 241
Case halves do make up the oil tank area, yes. The case gasket and properly torqued case screws prevent leakage.

Yep. No time for that. I just like fixing saws and cutting wood. And reading about fixing saws and cutting wood.

One can use a small amount of sealant on the gasket itself, but it’s not typically done at the factory and isn’t usually necessary.

Still looking for a used 660 crank case. The member who was helping me had several and offered to helping me but suddenly he stopped communicating. I’m not sure what I did but hopefully all is well with him.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me with this project I would greatly appreciate it.

Still looking for a used 660 crank case. The member who was helping me had several and offered to helping me but suddenly he stopped communicating. I’m not sure what I did but hopefully all is well with him.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me with this project I would greatly appreciate it.
Just checked EBay and all there are after market.

Latest posts

Back