Ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ST98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking of putting a larger bar on my 660. Currently I'm running a 3/8 .050 36" and it seems to rip along pretty good. I'm thinking of having a 47" inch available for some larger trees. Not sure how the 660 will go with an additional foot at the end. Mostly pine but may be some oak or maple. Anyonehave experience how she would pull with another foot longer? I'll have to change out my sprocket and bar.

Thanks

I'd stay with the factory 7 tooth sprocket and run a full skip for that long a bar. Man you must have some big tree where you live! Biggest I have run was 36" with my 066.

Hi all, I'm thinking of putting a larger bar on my 660. Currently I'm running a 3/8 .050 36" and it seems to rip along pretty good. I'm thinking of having a 47" inch available for some larger trees. Not sure how the 660 will go with an additional foot at the end. Mostly pine but may be some oak or maple. Anyonehave experience how she would pull with another foot longer? I'll have to change out my sprocket and bar.

Thanks
I didn't like the way a 660 ran a 36" I def wouldn't go any larger. The oiler will barley oil a 36" and don't know that it has enough ass to pull much bigger. JMO.

I didn't like the way a 660 ran a 36" I def wouldn't go any larger. The oiler will barley oil a 36" and don't know that it has enough ass to pull much bigger. JMO.

I agree...36" is plenty for the mighty 660, and plenty nose-heavy already. Stihl makes a sweet 36" Super-Light bar that is awesome if yer not too rough with it...and makes the saw a lot easier to run all day.

Full skip chain...file the rakers a touch heavy...and cut like ya mean business!

Longer bars are 880 land for us...50" for MM 880, 72" for Snellerized...and Good Lord Almighty, that's really fun stuff...

Take care and Saw Safe :cheers:

660 will run a 42" bar and full skip chain no problem, even in oak....not sure about a 47" bar though

042.jpg

I have 25", 32", & 36" bars for my Stihl 660 Magnum. I run 3/8" full comp chains. It does just fine.

I was thinking oiling might be an issue. The 660 rips through oak with a full comp chain with no issues. Maybe it's time to think 880. Ive never run 404 chain. What's better to run 63 or 404 when dealing with a long bar on a 880?

Thanks

I was thinking oiling might be an issue. The 660 rips through oak with a full comp chain with no issues. Maybe it's time to think 880. Ive never run 404 chain. What's better to run 63 or 404 when dealing with a long bar on a 880?

Thanks
I like your thinking. That is definitely 880 size bars. Not sure what setup to run I've always ran 3/8 but never ran bars over 36".

I guess I should have read my last post. Ive never used 404 chain I have only used 375 and smaller. What would be the difference between the two on a four foot bar?

Latest posts

Back